Fernhill Resort Chail - Terrible place to stay in Chail

Rohit Kothari

Super User
At the first hand its a totally mismanaged facility. We had booked for 2 couples well in advance. Despite this when we reached there(a day before long weekend 9-11 Aug 2013), they provided us cottages which were not at all cleaned. The lights in bathroom were not working. The cottage itself was all unhygienic with spider webs which seems to have not been cleaned for a long long time. The cottages were stinking of fungus and mould. Our beds were literally wet, there was seepage in the cottages. One of the 2 cottages had black fungus on the pillows.
Bathrooms had no handles, they were broken. There was a huge window in the bathroom which was covered by a "bedsheet", making the ladies with us freak out.

Even after requests to clean and correct the things, only some shobby work was done. In fact, i really have my doubts as to if they even clean the place in the first place.

They did not even stock milk for tea, and provided thick running liquid full with undissolved milk powder. The food was pathetic, no buffet was served as indicated while booking citing that only 6-7 guests were in the hotel. Aa-la-carte listed items were also not available and whatever limited choice was there was just about edible to satiate or I would say we just had no option nearby as there is no other place around it with Chail around 5 kms away. Even the breakfast the next day was not buffet. We just had options for sandwiches and aloo-onion parathas. We asked for sandwiches that came with a trail of small veggie pieces so small that it would probably fit child's meal. In all probably they did not even have those stocked.

We spotted some huge spiders in our cottages, and not one or 2 but almost 8-9 in nos. And they were really huge,wild, probably poisonous, roaming around the room. The caretaker first asked to somehow manage the first night as manager was not reachable but on insisting shifted us to rooms near reception. Although these rooms were void of spiders and dry than the cottages, but cleanliness was nowhere seen.I will upload some photos for the same.

On complaining about spiders, the managers response was "this is the beauty of nature" and "you have come to a resort in nature, so you should expect these". All the while he said that we upgraded you, but in reality the rooms were horrible as they were right next to reception and restaurant and you could not sleep or relax as every time you would get the noises from kitchen/restaurant, and people talking near reception or playing games provided in the lobby area. Defeated the whole purpose of a relaxing trip. So instead of a relaxing time we had hoped for in the cottages, we were just stuck in a room, with all kinds of talks, pool table noises, kitchen/restaurant activities.

All this while, Goibibo team was not helpful. They only told us to sort out things with the manager. This, when we paid 20k+ for 2 couples.

When there were more no of guests in the hotel they started serving buffet and all of a sudden there was milk in the tea. And on penultimate night of our trip (3N 4D), we found that veggies in the pulao were spoilt and stinking. On bringing it to manager's notice, at first he said he will replace it but he "cant help it". And when accosted by wife about other issues, he talked rudely to both the ladies with us and this led to an argument. While he blamed us yet again for not being able to cope up with a "group of wild ,poisonous spiders", a couple of people, who alleged that they were his relatives threatened us in front of all hotel guests. And even said they like "spoilt tasting" veggies and that if we have a problem we should go elsewhere. The threatening was to an extent where we locked ourselves up for our safety and only when other guests intervened, we decided to come out. Needless to say, we did not have dinner that night. The manager was unapologetic yet again for anything. As a mark of protest we avoided breakfast the other day and checked out with the first light of morning fearing for our safety given the goon attitude.

All this would have been recorded in their CCTV footage for the kitchen and reception, for those who would think that I might be exaggerating.

Coming to service, the rooms were never cleaned despite leaving keys and asking for the same. Towels were absolutely dirty and were never changed in 3 days. Even the bathroom was cleaned just once when we had to raise the voice for the same.

My advice, avoid this place. There are other places in Chail which provie better facilities for the same amount charged, and do not behave like goons.

Also, what should I do now that my holiday was spoilt despite paying a good amount for it ? Should I just forget it thinking that such things do happen in India and we being Indians should be adjusting and accomodating for spiders, unhygiene and spoilt food ?
Suggestions, comments, critiques invited.

Here are the pics.....

Spider infested cottages... Could not click all as they kept appearing and then disappearing.
20130809_004434.jpg

Spider infested cottages...
20130809_004708.jpg

See the so called upgraded and their most expensive rooms. The electricals were not working. There was no cleanliness. See for yourself.

20130810_222236.jpg

20130810_222248.jpg

20130810_222307.jpg

20130810_222323.jpg

20130811_063943.jpg

20130811_063955.jpg

20130811_064015.jpg

20130811_064028.jpg

20130811_064052.jpg

IMG_5368.jpg

IMG_5369.jpg

IMG_5370.jpg

IMG_5371.jpg

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rohit, much as I sympathise with what you had to endure, I would like to say that it is also partly your fault for making this booking without any good references for the same.
In this country you must assume that you'll be ripped off, unless otherwise proven!
It is a mistake to check into resorts located far away from townships. You are entirely at their mercy for the catering/food. And that is where many of them make a killing!

Yeah, it pays to be a total cynic, like unclejee! :grin:

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Sounds like a terrible experience.

Btw have filed a written complaint with Goibibo.com? If not, then you may wish to do the same and see what they have to say about this. Although at the end of the day, they are just a booking portal and I doubt, they would be able to do anything substantive.

Also if in case you took photographs of the cottages, you may wish to post them as well.

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
Hi Rohit,

Feeling bad abt your horrible exp... I am sure you must have searched well abt the hotel before and thing turned bad later... I would only suggest you to expose this hotel (on travel forums etc) as much as possible so that people know where NOT to make a booking in Chail....

Rohit Kothari

Super User
that's very bad.

from where did you get the information about this hotel ? tripadvisor ??
Yes, tripAdvisor was there at the forefront. Apart from that other sites such as MMT and GoIbibo...

- - - Updated - - -

Rohit, much as I sympathise with what you had to endure, I would like to say that it is also partly your fault for making this booking without any good references for the same.
In this country you must assume that you'll be ripped off, unless otherwise proven!
It is a mistake to check into resorts located far away from townships. You are entirely at their mercy for the catering/food. And that is where many of them make a killing!

Yeah, it pays to be a total cynic, like unclejee! :grin:
Anup Sir, spent hours on researching for the same. And it was not me alone who had the same feelings. There were other people at the resort who had booked after reviews from tripadvisor and other travel sites. The hotel publicizes a lot about facilities but there are none. Although would agree that I should have stayed at Chail palace as per your suggestions in a lot of posts. However, the problem was that our plan was built a bit late and Chail palace did not have the required accomodation for 3 days.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a terrible experience.

Btw have filed a written complaint with Goibibo.com? If not, then you may wish to do the same and see what they have to say about this. Although at the end of the day, they are just a booking portal and I doubt, they would be able to do anything substantive.

Also if in case you took photographs of the cottages, you may wish to post them as well.
Hi Yogesh, did file a complaint ,both written and verbal with GoIbibo but they are not very forthcoming on that. All they say is .."we appologize for any inconvenience"...

The spider photographs are of the cottages... Although we could not take a lot of them as they kept appearing and disappearing. And then as we discovered a lot of issues in the evening we could not take pics from the outside. We were shifted to another room at around midnight...

rdp

IT IS UNFORTUNATE to be made suffer . It is my personal view that at Himachal , Uttarakhand, by and large Govt (Tourisum corporations are Better. ! Of course Madhya paradesh experience atleast of Ujjain was not good,Upkeep was shoddy. But recent experience with HPTDC was quite satisfying !

Rohit Kothari

Super User
Hi Rohit,

Feeling bad abt your horrible exp... I am sure you must have searched well abt the hotel before and thing turned bad later... I would only suggest you to expose this hotel (on travel forums etc) as much as possible so that people know where NOT to make a booking in Chail....
Hey Ankur, actually had researched a lot. The only problem was that the known and highly recommended places were booked way in advance. Although this place is recommended by many people on tripadvisor, but now I certainly feel that those may not be genuine. The resort's parent company is based out of NCR, and I certainly feel that any attempts to give feedback to them would be futile.

- - - Updated - - -

IT IS UNFORTUNATE to be made suffer . It is my personal view that at Himachal , Uttarakhand, by and large Govt (Tourisum corporations are Better. ! Of course Madhya paradesh experience atleast of Ujjain was not good,Upkeep was shoddy. But recent experience with HPTDC was quite satisfying !
Yes, but with long weekend everything else was packed to capacity :(

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.facebook.com/Natureragahotels?fref=ts

This is the page of the company that owns this property. Would it be suggested to actually post these pics on their page and write comments, given that they too are based out of delhi, And knowing what delhites are known for, I dont want to hurt the inflated ego of yet another "Janta hai mera baap kaun hai" types person. And then face more harassment.
What do the forum people suggest ?

I stayed in same resort in July last year with family. We stayed in the main complex , first floor corner room. The room was well maintained & provided superb view from balcony. Staff was also cooperative, However the manager was not as hospitable as one expects in hospitality industry. I will not go for same resort again since it is quiet far away from main chail & one is completely dependent on resort guys for meals.