Tweak the Pic Tutorial !
or
Make a Magic in a Pic !
Please !
Please !
Please !

rajput.ankush

Thanks for sharing a quick handy guide.

A question - it is not particularly related to winter photography but landscape photography in general.

While taking landscape shots, where you want everything in focus, do you use the concept of Hyper focal distance focusing ? I've read about it but find it very impractical in most situations to estimate the distance and focus. During my Kinnaur trip, tried to follow it and also got some decent well focused shots but i think it is not the only thing to keep in mind dusrinng landscape photography. Can you throw some light on what all points you consider while focusing in a landscape shot to get a good photo.

arindamdas

Rajput.Ankush,

Do a Google search on "hyperfocal distance card", you will find such cards which you can download, print, laminate and keep in your photo bag. If you are lazy, like me, focus one third of the way into the scene. If you are using a WA or UWA lens, your image will be 'almost' toes-to-infinity in focus, if you use a sufficiently small aperture (say f/9 or f/10 on 1.5x-1.6x crop sensor, f/14 or f/16 on full frame).

What else to keep in mind? Key subjects of the scene are better positioned following the rule of the thirds. Horizons are best not dead centered. But even then, there will be situations where you would want to break these guidelines. This is art after all, and nothing is set in stone. Fire away, experiment, and I bet you will find something you will like.

As far as composition goes, try not to include too many elements in your photograph. Like "chota parivaar sukhi parivaar", usually, fewer the key elements, the better is the viewer's eyes able to relate to what you seek to convey.

And finally, as they say, every picture is worth a thousand words, ideally, a story. It takes practice and tremendous development as a photographer before you reach that exalted status. But it's an endeavor worth making.

Happy shooting.

Last edited:

rajput.ankush

Rajput.Ankush,

Do a Google search on "hyperfocal distance card", you will find such cards which you can download, print, laminate and keep in your photo bag. If you are lazy, like me, focus one third of the way into the scene. If you are using a WA or UWA lens, your image will be 'almost' toes-to-infinity in focus, if you use a sufficiently small aperture (say f/9 or f/10 on 1.5x-1.6x crop sensor, f/14 or f/16 on full frame).

What else to keep in mind? Key subjects of the scene are better positioned following the rule of the thirds. Horizons are best not dead centered. But even then, there will be situations where you would want to break these guidelines. This is art after all, and nothing is set in stone. Fire away, experiment, and I bet you will find something you will like.

As far as composition goes, try not to include too many elements in your photograph. Like "chota parivaar sukhi parivaar", usually, fewer the key elements, the better is the viewer's eyes able to relate to what you seek to convey.

And finally, as they say, every picture is worth a thousand words, ideally, a story. It takes practice and tremendous development as a photographer before you reach that exalted status. But it's an endeavor worth making.

Happy shooting.
Thanks a lot for a detailed reply. My main question was regarding focusing or in simple words Is it really necessary to go for hyper focal distance focusing each and every time we click a landscape ? and I think I got the answer i.e if i use a wide angle at small aperture I may not strictly follow or let go off the hyper focal concept if I am in a hurry or whatever reason but for not so wide photos, Hyper focal distance cards will be very advantageous and must/should be used.

And yes thanks alot for that additional info regarding composition. :)

arindamdas

You are quite correct. Take the "1/3rd into the way focusing scheme" as the "lazy man's hyperfocal distance focusing scheme". It will work, most of the time.

Thanks a lot for a detailed reply. My main question was regarding focusing or in simple words Is it really necessary to go for hyper focal distance focusing each and every time we click a landscape ? and I think I got the answer i.e if i use a wide angle at small aperture I may not strictly follow or let go off the hyper focal concept if I am in a hurry or whatever reason but for not so wide photos, Hyper focal distance cards will be very advantageous and must/should be used.

And yes thanks alot for that additional info regarding composition. :)