Finally Ladakh.....closing in

barista

We are a group of four childhood friends heading for our dream Ladakh trip, starting 01 July starting from Noida. We will be driving a 2WD Scorpio. Our tentative itinerary is:

01 July : Noida - Udhampur
02 July : Udhampur to Sonmarg
03 July: Sonmarg - Panikhar
04 July: Panikhar - Padum
05 July: Padum - Kargil
06 July: Kargil - Leh
07 July: Leh
08 July: Leh - Turtuk
09 July: Turtuk - Warshi - Sumur
10 July: Sumur - Pangomg Tso via Wari La or Agham-Shyok route
11 July: Pangong - Hanle via Chushul, Loma
12 July: Hanle - Tso Moriri
13 July: Tso Moriri - Jispa
14 July: Jispa - Kullu
15 July: Kullu - Noida

Dear friends and experts, please provide your suggestions, recommendations and guidance
  • On the itinerary and things that I need to take care of
  • Is it worth visiting Warshi/ Panamik and instead spend more time in Hunder/ Diskit/ Sumur
  • Current condition & status of Wari La or Agham - Shyok route. If both are open and doable, which one do you recommend
  • ILP for Pangong to Chushul and Hanle: Are they giving it this year, has there been any restriction. Has anyone got permit and done this route this year.
  • Anyone else travelling on these dates - always good to make friends
  • Any other tips and advise
Thanks and Cheers

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Your itinerary seems fine, though please keep in mind that you will need enough fuel for around 1,000 km, after tanking up at Diskit and in case you’re taking Agham – Shyok route. In case you take the Wari La route and detour to Karu for fuel, you will need enough fuel for around 800 km.

You can buy fuel in black. However, if you would like to stick to petrol pumps, you will have to carry a lot of it as spare.

Staying at Hunder instead of Sumur would reduce the fuel requirement for Agham – Shyok route to around 840 km.

Tso Moriri to Jispa will take around 12 hours, so you might want to break the journey at Sarchu instead.

By the time of your travel, both the routes should be open, unless snowfall blocks Wari La or a landslide blocks Shyok route.

Permit for Chushul and Hanle are being issued as of now.

barista

Thank you Yogesh,

We are carrying 2 x 25 litre Jerry Can, hope we can manage with this and any deficient will manage through buying in black. Do I need to add any additive if buying in black

If both Wari La and Agham - Shyok route which route do you recommend in terms of scenic beauty.

Will go by your recommendation for staying in Hunder. Also is it worth going to Panamik/ Warshi or rather spend extra day at Hunder.

If we are turned from Chushul Checkpost to go on Tsaga route for Hanle, is there any alternate route to reach Hanle on that same day.

For ILP, if we write the following will it cover all. Is it becoming too lengthy to fit in the ILP form. Do we need to fill separate form for all the travellers or cover them in single form ?

Please suggest any addition/ deletion for the ILP

Nubra Valley, Khardung La, Khalsar, Diskit, Hunder, Turtuk, Pachathang, Tyakshi, Sumur, Panamik, Tirth, Warshi, Yarma Gonbo

Warli La, Agham Shyok route

Pangong Tso, Karu, Chang la, Durbuk, Lukhung, Tangtse, Spangmik, Man, Merak

Changthang Valley: Man, Merak, Khaltse, Chushul, Tsaga La, Loma, Koyul, Hanle, Nyoma, Mahe, Sumdo

Kumdok, Kere, Chumthang, Mahe, Tso Moriri, Karzok, Tso Kar, Upshi, Dipling, Puga

Thanks

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Both have their own scenic beauty. However, I would vote for Agham – Shyok route.

If you enjoy the beautiful landscape, go to Warshi.

You will have to backtrack till Karu and then take the Chumathang route to Hanle. It would be difficult to do after returning from Chushul.

ILP has to be a single form and it you need to list Nubra Valley, Turtuk, Warshi, Pangong Tso, Chushul, Tsaga, Loma, Hanle, Nyoma, Mahe and Tso Moriri in in it.

Akash Deep

Just a small info regarding the permit. I was in Leh last week and Hanley, Turtuk, Hunder, Pangong and Tso Moriri was on my list. I was looking for an ATM and I found the bank of Baroda one near the main market. Just beside the ATM there is a small shop by the name of Swiss Travel (some thing like that). While talking to that lady, she offered me to get the permits done for 500 per person for 5 days. I gave her the ID's and Money and within 45 minutes the permit was in my hand.

Thought o sharing this info here and it takes 3-4 hours min in the dc office to get the permit

gkapoor

Super User
Just a small info regarding the permit. I was in Leh last week and Hanley, Turtuk, Hunder, Pangong and Tso Moriri was on my list. I was looking for an ATM and I found the bank of Baroda one near the main market. Just beside the ATM there is a small shop by the name of Swiss Travel (some thing like that). While talking to that lady, she offered me to get the permits done for 500 per person for 5 days. I gave her the ID's and Money and within 45 minutes the permit was in my hand.

Thought o sharing this info here and it takes 3-4 hours min in the dc office to get the permit
So did she send someone to get permits for you or she has an inside contact to get job done quickly or she is forging permits? Do you have info on that?

Akash Deep

So did she send someone to get permits for you or she has an inside contact to get job done quickly or she is forging permits? Do you have info on that?
Her sister works in DC office. She is the one who get everything done for you. You just have to submit your id's in that particular shop only and rest will be taken care off

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Pretty much any travel agent would be able to do this for you in Leh, as long as the net is working, thanks to online permit being available. Travel agents have an account with DC Office, that they need to clear each week, so they are able to get the permit, without the need to manually submit a fee for each permit as is the case with tourists.

However, this only works if you want to travel on the usual routes and not to places like Hanle.

Having said that, it is interesting that she didn’t charge you any extra fee, since Rs. 500 would have been in fees itself.

Akash Deep

I also had the same question in my mind. As per the permit I got the total amount paid was 4160 for a permit starting from 20-June till 25th June but she only charged us 4000. That's why I believed that her sister is working in DC office and she is the one who got everything arranged.

barista

Thanks everyone for your advise and tips. Any update on Jammu - Srinagar - Sonmarg route. Hope tourists are travelling without any incident