First time solo bike ride from New Delhi to Vizianagaram (Andhra Pradesh)

TheConfusedMonk

Brief Intro
I have had the experience of riding till Udaipur (my first group ride) in 2013 and few other short rides. Then I did a ride in 2015 on my bullet from New Delhi to Bangalore with 6 other riders three years back covering the coastal area clocking about 3500 kms. For the purposes of just eliminating the fear of being alone, I am planning bike ride to Vizianagaram (District Headquarters in the State of Andhra Pradesh) from New Delhi starting June 12, 2018 on my new KTM Duke 390. Though wife and kids are a bit sceptical, I am keen on doing it. To check my physical condition and getting a grip on the new bike, I did a 210 kms ride yesterday without a halt (except near the traffic signals) and found it good. Will attempt another 500-600 kms this weekend so that the bike can reach its first service mark.

Fear Factor!!!

I have come across some articles and forum posts where people strongly discouraged to take the Central India route that passes through the troubled areas in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh, especially for the first time solo riders. This rather increased my fear by leaps and bounds as like everyone, I want to be safe than sorry. I have contacted some authorities in Chhattisgarh who advised me to avoid the entire State if I am solo riding for the first time.

Routes explored on internet but which are only from Hyderabad to Delhi

(Daily plan is to start at 6 a.m. and reach the day's destination by 5 p.m.)

First route that I found on this forum is:

Hyderabad->Nizamadad->Nanded->Hingoli->Washim->Akola(by pass)->Burhanpur->Khandwa->Indore->Ujjain->Kota->Tonk->Jaipur->Delhi (This is a post from 2011)

Second route that I came across is:
For Hyderabad to Nagpur:
Hyderabad-Adilabad: excellent 4 lane highway.
Adilabad-Hinganghat: 4 lane construction going on but they have opened some sections of the 4 lane so easily doable and they are some bad stretch here and there.
Hinganghat-Nagpur: again excellent 4 lane highway.
Nagpur - Bhopal: I’m suggesting you a new route and It is,
Nagpur-Sausar-Chhindwara-Pipariya-Hoshangabad-Obedullagunj - Bhopal .- This consisting of very good 4 lane highway and excellent 2 lane highway, so no worries here.
Bhopal- Jhansi : Bhopal- Vidisha-Rahatgarh- Khurai- Malthone- Jhansi: Again excellent smooth 2lane highway all the way from Bhopal till Jhansi.
Jhansi - Gwalior : Good pothole free 2 or 4 ( sometimes) lane highway.
Gwalior- Delhi : Excellent 4 lane highway till agra and then onwards till Delhi Fast yamuna expressway.

I am not sure whether these people have covered those routes on motorcycle.

I request all the seasoned riders to come to my rescue in finding out the safest route free from all troubles with a backup plan.

Regards

Drnavimann

Brief Intro
I have had the experience of riding till Udaipur (my first group ride) in 2013 and few other short rides. Then I did a ride in 2015 on my bullet from New Delhi to Bangalore with 6 other riders three years back covering the coastal area clocking about 3500 kms. For the purposes of just eliminating the fear of being alone, I am planning bike ride to Vizianagaram (District Headquarters in the State of Andhra Pradesh) from New Delhi starting June 12, 2018 on my new KTM Duke 390. Though wife and kids are a bit sceptical, I am keen on doing it. To check my physical condition and getting a grip on the new bike, I did a 210 kms ride yesterday without a halt (except near the traffic signals) and found it good. Will attempt another 500-600 kms this weekend so that the bike can reach its first service mark.

Fear Factor!!!

I have come across some articles and forum posts where people strongly discouraged to take the Central India route that passes through the troubled areas in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh, especially for the first time solo riders. This rather increased my fear by leaps and bounds as like everyone, I want to be safe than sorry. I have contacted some authorities in Chhattisgarh who advised me to avoid the entire State if I am solo riding for the first time.

Routes explored on internet but which are only from Hyderabad to Delhi

(Daily plan is to start at 6 a.m. and reach the day's destination by 5 p.m.)

First route that I found on this forum is:

Hyderabad->Nizamadad->Nanded->Hingoli->Washim->Akola(by pass)->Burhanpur->Khandwa->Indore->Ujjain->Kota->Tonk->Jaipur->Delhi (This is a post from 2011)

Second route that I came across is:
For Hyderabad to Nagpur:
Hyderabad-Adilabad: excellent 4 lane highway.
Adilabad-Hinganghat: 4 lane construction going on but they have opened some sections of the 4 lane so easily doable and they are some bad stretch here and there.
Hinganghat-Nagpur: again excellent 4 lane highway.
Nagpur - Bhopal: I’m suggesting you a new route and It is,
Nagpur-Sausar-Chhindwara-Pipariya-Hoshangabad-Obedullagunj - Bhopal .- This consisting of very good 4 lane highway and excellent 2 lane highway, so no worries here.
Bhopal- Jhansi : Bhopal- Vidisha-Rahatgarh- Khurai- Malthone- Jhansi: Again excellent smooth 2lane highway all the way from Bhopal till Jhansi.
Jhansi - Gwalior : Good pothole free 2 or 4 ( sometimes) lane highway.
Gwalior- Delhi : Excellent 4 lane highway till agra and then onwards till Delhi Fast yamuna expressway.

I am not sure whether these people have covered those routes on motorcycle.

I request all the seasoned riders to come to my rescue in finding out the safest route free from all troubles with a backup plan.

Regards

hi brother , even i am in the same dilemma whether to go through central india or not . indore route seem safe but its longer . anyways all the very best for your ride & please update your post after completing your ride ..

TheConfusedMonk

I have actually completed my ride. I have chosen route 2 from my original post and clocked 2312 kms in 31 hours. First day (13th June 2018) reached Delhi to Sagar in Madhya Pradesh, about 680 kms. Second day (14th June 2018) started a bit late and reached Adilabad, about 570 kms. Third day (15th June 2018) reached Hyderabad by 10 am, about 300kms. Stayed there till 16th June 2018. Fourth day (17th June 2018) reached Vizianagaram, about 720 kms.

Roads are majestic. I was clocking 120 kmph with ease on my KTM Duke 390. Hardly I came across any bad stretches. I think I have faced only 5 kms bad stretch out of 2312 kms. I avoided Chhattisgarh completely. Madhya Pradesh Chambal region is fine. I spotted a goggle and never cared for strangers. Never made any eye contact with anyone till I completed the first day.

Since this was my first solo ride to such a long distance, I haven’t tried to take a detour to enjoy some beautiful locations in between. Now I know how to plan the next trip

TheConfusedMonk

I did the entire trip in day light. First day started at 5:15 pm and reached Sagar by 5 pm. Same the 2nd day and 4th day, reached destination by 5 pm. I actually took a bad stretch in the last 50 kms near Visakhapatnam. Google took me through the shortest and spine breaking State highway.