Flying to Leh in 10 days - Sept end with Family

loveat911

Amazed
Hello Everyone,

I have my air tickets booked to Leh from New Delhi for Sept last week with my wife and 4.5-year-old kid.

I would like to know your opinion about a good itinerary for 8 Nights/9 Days. The rough itinerary I have right now is as follows (This is amalgamated from the latest suggestions by Yogesh ji and Gaurav ji):

Sept 23: Arrive in Leh early morning and rest; go out in the evening for food and leisure walk.
Read somewhere - Ladakh festival is also happening around this time.

Sept 24: Sham Valley tour: Hall of Fame, Magnetic Hill, Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Indus and Zanskar Confluence, Alchi and Likir Monasteries.
+
Either to get inner line permits for Nubra Valley, Turtuk, Agham-Shyok, Pangong Tso, and Tso Moriri myself OR get this done in advance by paying Taxi driver (Driver - I have not yet finalized).

Sept 25: Leh to Nubra Valley via Khardung La. Visit Sumur Monastery and Panamik Hot Springs en route and spend the night at Hundar - ~127 Kms

Sept 26: Hundar to Turtuk and spend the night there - ~84 Kms

Sept 27: Turtuk to Hunder Sand Dunes and Diskit Monastery and then head to Pangong Tso via Agham – Shyok or Wari La route.

Thinking not to spend the night at Pangong, so planning to stay at Tangste or Spangmik.

Sept 28: From Pangong/Tangste/Spangmik to Tso Moriri and overnight stay.

Need a suggestion here:

Not sure if there is a direct route but google says 366 Kms / 8.5 hours. Seems too much for a day, need your advice. Is that doable easily with a kid?

Sept 29: Tso Moriri to Leh - ~220 Kms / 5.5 hours

Sept 30: Local sightseeing - Leh Palace, Namgyal Tsemo Gompa, Shanti Stupa, Main Market, Spituk Monastery.

Oct 1: Back to New Delhi

A rough expenditure idea I've: Taxi - Around 25K being a less crowded season. Permits: Around 1K.
Please correct me if that's not right.

Planning to call Taxi drivers post finalising Itinerary - I think they'll ask for it anyways.
Next would be hotel bookings.

Kindly let me know your views if I need to alter this plan or it seems good.

Thank you.

Admin01

Administrator
Instead of spending the night at Turtuk, come back to Hunder and stay there. Next day you will have to travel less.

Tangste is 30 km before Pangong Tso and Spangmik is on the shores of Pangong. Carry an oxygen cylinder with you from Leh (with enough oxygen for at least 30 minutes) and stay at Spangmik, unless someone gets badly hit by AMS. In that case, skip Tso Moriri the next day; it is at higher altitude than Spangmik.

Pangong Tso to Tso Moriri will take around 10 hours if you take the Chushul route and longer if you have to come back to Karu and then take the Chumathang route. It is certainly doable, but all comes down to individual endurance for long travel.

Taxi is going to cost you around 35 k, maybe a few thousand less. Innova is the best bet and most comfortable, don’t hire Eeco or Van, even for sightseeing around Leh.