Food Places In Chandigarh (What you recommend where?)

Hi

Not sure if anyone is actively following this but can someone give me pointers to good dhabha between Delhi and Chandigarh ? I dont want the fancy stuff like say haveli.. I would prefer a dhabha giving an unadultered dhaba experience ( both palate and pocket wise :D ).

I once had food in jhilmil dhabha and it was good but that was 3-4 yrs back , not sure if anything better has come up in the meanwhile

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
Hi

Not sure if anyone is actively following this but can someone give me pointers to good dhabha between Delhi and Chandigarh ? I dont want the fancy stuff like say haveli.. I would prefer a dhabha giving an unadultered dhaba experience ( both palate and pocket wise :D ).

I once had food in jhilmil dhabha and it was good but that was 3-4 yrs back , not sure if anything better has come up in the meanwhile

Zhilmil is near Karnal which is about midway on that route. You will come across some dhabas in Murthal which you can try. My pick is Sukhdev dhaba but a lot of people hate it for some reason. Among other goodies is Gulshan Dhaba which is again in Murthal slightly before Sukhdev. All of these will be on your left, try not to doze off ;)

PS: Sukhdev is slightly commercialized now so Zhilmil and Gulshan will be more towards unadulterated dhaba experience.

AamirH

Now that thread is alive, why Chandigarh sucks when it comes to delicious budget options (okay, lets call it street food) or say variety of food on offer? Personally in one year I had enough Kulchas, Paranthas and Bhature that I can live without having them for rest of my life. Any other suggestions where to eat and what?

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
There is no dearth of options in Chandigarh. You can find one unique food item in almost every sector market. For street food, try the dhabas in Zirakpur on the NH, sector 7 market in Panchkula, Sector 19 Chandigarh.. I'm not sure what your definition of street food is, but these 3 are just from the top off my head. There are many more. Regarding option, Chandigarh serves almost every dish you can name but indeed paranthas and kulchas are the favourite local cuisine. I've fond memories of breakfast at the Willows cafe, Butter Chicken at Cooper Chimneys, Chicken starters at Kava, buffet at Pirates of the Grill Elante, on the go food at Flames in Sector 32. Again, this is the cream of my list. Chandigarh has never disappointed me when it comes to food.

citymonk

Super User
If you are vegan, how do you eat BUTTER chicken gravy?
..... hope that explains,,
No it doesn't!
Maybe PeanutButterChicken without chicken, should be the exact solution for him.

Or if this Vegan member is o.k. with Butter and cream in veg gravy then

Instead of ordering in this way simply one can order Paneer Masala or Shahi paneer dish.

Most of Kitchens of such joints prepare common rich tomoto gravy for both Veg and NonVeg , veriations.
Maybe Dum Alloo or Soya Champ too contain same base gravy.

AamirH

For street food, try the dhabas in Zirakpur on the NH, sector 7 market in Panchkula, Sector 19 Chandigarh..
What do you suggest me to try at the dhabas in Zirakpur? I have been there - Sethi for example, very ordinary Punjabi food and definitely not street food. However, most of them serves Punjabi food. An example of Punjabi street food would rather be Amritsari fish fry, gur halwa, jalebi, shikanji ..

I'm not sure what your definition of street food is
Street food - Something which sells on stands/setups pitched up along the streets (in Chandigarh you can find it in the periphery of inner markets mostly selling spring rolls, chowmein and dosa). It is priced reasonable if not cheap, freshly cooked/fried and sold around in spaces with limited or no seating and therefore are the types which one can eat on the go. Also, these places are most single serving or multiple variations of same product or limited menu.

breakfast at the Willows café,
I will try this soon. Thanks :)

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
What do you suggest me to try at the dhabas in Zirakpur? I have been there - Sethi for example, very ordinary Punjabi food and definitely not street food. However, most of them serves Punjabi food. An example of Punjabi street food would rather be Amritsari fish fry, gur halwa, jalebi, shikanji ..

Street food - Something which sells on stands/setups pitched up along the streets (in Chandigarh you can find it in the periphery of inner markets mostly selling spring rolls, chowmein and dosa). It is priced reasonable if not cheap, freshly cooked/fried and sold around in spaces with limited or no seating and therefore are the types which one can eat on the go. Also, these places are most single serving or multiple variations of same product or limited menu.
We used to eat at Sethis when hunger pangs attacked in the middle of the night. Orgasamic dal makhni, butter rotis and tea in foggy winter nights. Zirakpur is much commercialized now so probably you'll want to drive slightly further ahead. These dhabas are akin to street stuff for me because they serve fresh food and preparation time and cost is lowest among competition.

I can't recommend you on fish, I don't like it personally. For sweets, Gopals work best. Are the high ends really but the taste doesn't reflect that way. Shikhanji.. Mmmm.. Shiv diary comes to mind for Lassi.

And oh I almost forgot, PU Student centre. Can't beat its rajma chawal amid the university crowd. Its been a few years that I've moved to Delhi so I'm not the most updated fellow but StuC will never get old.

AamirH

And oh I almost forgot, PU Student centre. Can't beat its rajma chawal amid the university crowd. Its been a few years that I've moved to Delhi so I'm not the most updated fellow but StuC will never get old.
Though it is a sin to say but I will speak the truth - I am not a big fan of Rajma Chawal :D Those grilled cheese sandwiches with cold coffee, slushes and milk shakes at StuC - that taste and experience is incomparable to anything else in Chandigarh. Drop me a message when you are here next time. May be we can plan for a short food walk :)

SwaGGer

Street food! all I can find in chandigarh is pathetic momos and spring rolls.
StuC is the best option when it comes to reasonable food. The burgers, shakes and not to forget the kadhai paneer of the Last shop(dont remember the name).
But when it comes to those 'rehri burger' I cant find those in Chandigarh.

Though do try Urban Tadka in sector 35. Pocket friendly and heavenly food