Freezer issue

gomsi

gomsi
Hello All,

I need a suggestion on repairing the freezer of my single door refrigerator.

Somedays back I was preparing for a house party and had to put some stuff in the freezer. After the freezer got full, I thought of putting some stuff in freezer tray, which is below the freezer. Since the refrigerator had not been defrosted for many days, there was lot of ice at the bottom of freezer and in complete ignorance I started removing ice using a knife (It was sheer negligence since I am aware it can cause problems). While doing so, I punctured a small hole in the freezer bottom and gas started leaking out. I immediately applied m-seal to the hole.

While inquiring with the Authorized service center, the repairing charges have been quoted as Rs 3K. I feel the charges are too high and there should be a economical way to repair it. I also dont want to spend this high an amount since I plan on changing the refrigerator in a year or so. Please suggest if there is a better way to plug the hole and do away with high repair charges.

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
It was good to apply M-Seal !
If Not much gas is lost then good.
Otherwise Top-up can also be done by nearby mechanic at a Refrigeration Shop.

These days if gas is there, it can be reused too by backing it up in an empty cylinder.
Ask a nearby good mechanic for this as these are winters, he will be happy to get business.
If punctured metal is Aluminium then it can be gas welded easily.

oriole12

Nature Lover
Will the M-Seal withstand the high pressure of the full gas filled in the refrigerator? Anyone with first hand experience?

omega

M seal or nothing of that sort will help. only option now is welding, if at all possible. better prepone your purchase :)

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no way that M-seal could have done the job and saved the remaining gas.
The only solution is to have the hole brazed and the system re-filled with refrigerant.
Might as well buy the new fridge now and junk this old one.

gomsi

gomsi
Thanks all for the reply. Have not been able to show it to a local mechanic, but after application of m-seal, its still doing the cooling. I think welding will be good solution with a gas top-up.

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
Will the M-Seal withstand the high pressure of the full gas filled in the refrigerator? Anyone with first hand experience?
You have the answer now !

Thanks all for the reply. Have not been able to show it to a local mechanic, but after application of m-seal, its still doing the cooling. I think welding will be good solution with a gas top-up.
If a hole is small enough then it can hold the leakage for a particular time.
But best solution is to weld / braze it for long term use even if you may delay the purchase of a new Refrigerator !