From the Land of Corbett

Shantanu Roy

On 27th I woke up at 5 am with a great deal of worries in my mind, because of the rain last night . Came out of our room and to my utter surprise the sky was shining clear. While we were having breakfast Javed called up to say he has arrived to pick us up.Settled the bills at KMVN. 8-45 am we started for Bijrani FRH. At 9 we were in front of the Amdanda Gate.
amdanda bcm.jpg

While doing the formalities at the gate I saw a person whom I never met before but know through Facebook. I have spoken to him several times on phone during my preparations for Corbett. His name is Md. Nabi. He is a very elderly driver cum guide in Corbett and respected by everybody. I introduced myself and did little bit of chitchatting on recent sightings. Formalities were done by this time. I bid him goodbye and we started again for the FRH. It was a 9 km drive through the core of the forest.

Slowly the typically Corbett type forest scape started.
forest bcm.jpg

forest 1 bcm.jpg

On the way I saw a CSE. I was very happy as in past whenever I saw a CSE it always brought me good sighting luck, in most cases, it followed with a tiger sighting.
IMG_9035 bcmt.jpg

By 10 am we reached the FRH.
FRH bcm.jpg

We had done the check in formalities. The room could only be available after 11:00 am. So we kept the luggage in the cloak room and went out for our morning safari...deeper into the core.

rajarshi_bubai

First thing that came to my mind while preparing for Corbett National Park is its non-transparent booking system. I have heard of many such stories which had given me a clear idea that the online booking window for the core areas is as good as a PDF document, till the number of available Rides become zero. A cousin who had a bombshell of a trip there, couple of years ago, told me that- the entry to the Park and night stay in the FRH can only be arranged by an influential Travel Agent or Tour Operator. However he was kind enough to give me the contact number of the Driver/Guide(unlike the Parks of MP, a single person can be your Driver cum Guide here), whom I started calling from as early as January end.
I had few facebook contacts who also do this job, so alongside I started contacting 4/5 people together in search of the most reasonable deal. After receiving few bizarre quotes(like Rs. 1 lakh 20 thousand for three days) from some eminent tour operators,I zeroed down to the person recommended by my cousin. He(Javed Khan) first promised to book 27th stay in Dhikala FRH, 28th and 29th stay in Bijrani FRH. In reality, he could book only Bijrani FRH for 27th and 29th night, and promised that he would do some "JUGAAD" for 28th night in Dhikala.
It was decided that we will fly to Delhi, on 26th, in an early morning flight from Kolkata and take a car to Ghaziabad. Have breakfast at my friend's house, her family will join us from there, and from there we will take a rented car drop to Ramnagar. We will have a night stay in KMVN Ramnagar and next day Morning we will get transported by Javed to FRH Bijrani. Everything went as par plan and we reached KMVN Ramnagar by evening 4:45 pm on 26th .
Just to mention one thing here, as we approached Ramnagar, I noticed few Safari cars parked alongside the road, and few such cars returning from Park Rides. This sight in the small towns near any National park gates always makes me very cheered up and anticipating. Its one of my favorite sights when I reach the vicinity of a National Park.
Javed came to meet us in KMVN in the evening and told us that we will start from here tomorrow at 8:45 am as before 9:30 there will be no one in the FRH office to get us checked in.
At about 6:30 it started raining heavy with thunder storms. I got really worried as I knew that if it rains tomorrow morning also, the chances of wildlife sighting will be really thin.

First Sight of Safari Cars
View attachment 722699

More Safari Cars
View attachment 722700

Finally KMVN Ramnagar
View attachment 722701
Could you please share me Javed Khan's contact details, who was your guide cum driver??
Thanks in advance

Shantanu Roy

Could you please share me Javed Khan's contact details, who was your guide cum driver??
Thanks in advance
Oh!! I missed this comment and hence could not reply this earlier. Extremely sorry for the inconvenience.
Kindly let me know if you still need the contacts.