Gati review ( Bike transportation)

Dimitrz

Reclaim your life
For benefit of fellow BCM members sharing my experience with Gati - Request moderators to move the post to right section as I cant decide which section is right for this review

------------------------------------------------------------------

Gati courier service - Biggest mistake of my life , nearly ruined my trip

Its too expensive and no value for money

Me and my friend decided to book our bikes using Gati for our Bhutan trip. Considering the cost of Bike transport was almost double of what Railways charge and based on assurance from Gati we were under the impressed that our bikes will arrive safe and sound in Siliguri.

We were shocked when we saw the condition in which our bikes arrived , my friend's Bajaj Avenger's petrol tank had a big dent and the alignment was off and he had some other damages to his bike.

For my bike ( Honda Unicorn) they managed to destroy the front cowl , 3 indicators, totally broke the centre stand ( how they manged that feat god only knows) , handle grip was ripped off not to mention the number of scratches to the bike.

It was clearly evident that despite the good packing done at source. the handlers handled the bikes in a very careless and abusive manner.

Had we not found a good workshop in Siliguri who seeing our plight went out of their way to help us with repairs; our trip to Bhutan would have ended even before it started thanks to Gati.

Interesting aspect is that Gati employees were so used to such damages to bikes that no one even apologized to us for the damages.

Inspite of all these damages we still had to pay close to 100 rupees for Gati to unpack our bikes.

The Gati telephone customer service didnt have proper address or telephone number for Gati centre in Siliguri and we had to Google to find these information.

My personal advise stay clear of Gati , its better to send your vehicle through railways atleast its cheaper and based on my experience more reliable.

My only regret is that I fell for the assurance of Gati on bike safety instead of listening to hundreds reviews about their service.

I will never use Gati again, I rather drive it all the way than go for Gati

Ps: Sent back the bike from Guwahati to Trivandrum by railways - the bikes reached without any major damage ( my front cowl broke again, but I was expecting that as one side of the cowl was fixed using M Seal after Gati incident)

Not saying Railways is better but when you compare Gati and Railways I would say railways is much cheaper and more reliable. Its better of the two evils :)

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
That is quite a bad experience. Did you try lodging a complaint with them and asked for repair costs, because I believe they provide insurance cover for the transportation.

Dimitrz

Reclaim your life
That is quite a bad experience. Did you try lodging a complaint with them and asked for repair costs, because I believe they provide insurance cover for the transportation.
No Yogesh bhai they didn't offer and we didn't ask, frankly I was too shocked & disappointed and was thinking the trip is destroyed that I didn't even bother asking and wasting more time. Instead our focus was to try and get the bikes to a service center to see if we can salvage the trip.

Another aspect was the declared value per bike was 10,000 rupees so you can image how much they would have given as compensation even if we had wasted time complaining. Had we placed the bike value as actual then probably we might have ended up spending around Rs 15000/- to ship one bike instead of any way steap price of Rs 5000/- for one bike.

By the way Avenger costed Rs 6000/- I believe

This is Sad. May be they have outsourced the consignment to another sub contractor to make the bikes reach Siliguri from Calcutta.

My friend got his Karizma transported from DEL to BLR through Gati, and they did a wonderful job except for the front mudguard which got damaged as no protection was over it.

Try Blue dart next time they are also good.

Cheers !!!

SG

beruoist

Guru
Thanks for sharing this,I was about to consider GATI as an option for transferring my bike back to PUNE. :)

Cheers
Biru

AamirH

Indian Railways is the best option to transport your bike if your destination is same as that of train's. I mean if you destination is also the last stop of any train on that route. Ask the porter (loader) to load your bike on that train (give him train number, name and arrival time on a paper). Anyways, these guys always follow shortest path and first cum first serve algorithms and have good knowledge of what train leaves to where, when and from which platform. You might have to pay some extra bucks to them and get the loading done on train of your choice in front of your eyes. For extra safety, bring bubble wraps, card boards, good quality gunny bags and get it wrapped properly. I am saying by the experience of transporting bikes by Indian Railways for 5 times, without taking the insurance cover. If you take the insurance cover, you have to pay 1% of bike's value. I never took that and luckily no major damage except few scratches on exhaust.

Sanjay V Javalkar

I too agree, Indian Railways is the best option. While returning from my recent bike tour to Bhutan (Feb 2015), I parceled my bike from New Jalpaiguri to Mumbai which reached Mumbai practically dentless & 100% clean. As mentioned above a tip to the loaders will do a real good job ;)

Sunil Thakur

I too agree, Indian Railways is the best option. While returning from my recent bike tour to Bhutan (Feb 2015), I parceled my bike from New Jalpaiguri to Mumbai which reached Mumbai practically dentless & 100% clean. As mentioned above a tip to the loaders will do a real good job ;)
How much did the railways charge you for this?

Last edited by a moderator: