General photography questions!

nekhrun

Nikon 105mm F2.8 VR Micro AFS is the one I'll recommend as it will give you a better working distance from the subject (apprx 10" from the sensor) compared to 60mm (approx 6" from the sensor).
I haven't tried extension tubes, but from what I have read, it gives better result if there's a lot of light available. They work well (more background blur) at higher focal lengths with the widest aperture possible. The cheap ext rings may not give you you aperture control too.

BHOOTER RAJA

Chalo .......let's go.
Not screw but snap on ( 52 and 67 mm ) though it says universal mount....there are two things ...a mount and a close up glass. I do not use it but read good things about it. You can ask Anish george at FB ( rate is very cheap at his end )

hensil

Guru
Guys,
I am planning to visit a butterfly and insect park soon. I want to try my hands on some macro shots. I am quite new to Macro.
Right now I have 24-120 f/4 lens. Do you think this lens will be a good choice?
Also okay to buy a reversal ring if that is the best option?
I am okay to hire a dedicated Macro lens. Please suggest a lens for Nikon FF cameras.
My preferred rental company offers these lens at 30$ per day.
Nikon 60mm F2.8G Micro AFS
Nikon 105mm F2.8 VR Micro AFS
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/threads/its-macro-taken-using-canon-550d-nd-18-55-lense-with-reverse-ring.45895/page-5
Read this. If you want any more info ask me.
If can hire then go with 200mm f/4 macro if available or the 105 f/2.8 is very good. The 200mm will give more working space to shoot butterflies.
Henry

hensil

Guru
If you are not serious with macro I'd suggest buy a good quality diopter like the one Canon makes to use with 24-120. The picture quality is not bad.
Henry

........... I want to try my hands on some macro shots. I am quite new to Macro.
Right now I have 24-120 f/4 lens. Do you think this lens will be a good choice?
Also okay to buy a reversal ring if that is the best option?
A set of extension tubes, coupled with the 24- 120 would be a cheap (relatively) option. Kenko makes the tubes in 12, 20 and 36 mm sizes which can be mixed and matched as per requirement. I have been using ET's for a very long time and find them a good alternative to the expensive macro lenses. Since ext tubes are hollow structures, the image quality is solely dependent on the lens being used.

....................... 60mm (approx 6" ..........................).
That would actually be 2.362204 inches

.................................... They work well (more background blur) at higher focal lengths with the widest aperture possible. The cheap ext rings may not give you you aperture control too.
With ET's, the amount of magnification depends on the focal length being used. For example, to get 1:1 magnification with a 50 mm lens, one would need 50 mm of extension. At 25 mm focal length, the same 50 mm extension would give 1:2 magnification. In fact, for any given extension, the more the focal length, lesser the magnification and lesser the blur. Of course, the blur is also dependent on various other factors like camera to subject distance and the distance of the BG from the subject. Aperture is a variable too, controlling blur.
And you are right.The cheaper ET's dont give you aperture control but the 'auto ext tubes' do have that function.

hensil

Guru
Just remember one thing, other than dedicated macro lens when using other method to shoot macro you cannot shoot infinity.
That is while shooting macro if you suddenly see some other interesting subject you first have remove the extension tubes/diopter.
Henry

Just remember one thing, other than dedicated macro lens when using other method to shoot macro you cannot shoot infinity.
That is while shooting macro if you suddenly see some other interesting subject you first have remove the extension tubes/diopter.
Henry
Absolutely right, Henry! That is the downside of ET's and diopters!