General photography questions!

aashish37

Guys I've a question regarding the picture format. I usually shoot pictures in JPEG format but after going through some of the posts in forum I tried to shoot RAW+JPEG but what I'm getting is two copies of JPEG itself. If I shoot only in RAW I get a NEF format picture but not otherwise. Can anyone tell me what's wrong going on here.

Last edited:

hensil

Guru
That's tricky. Try this, first change the flash card and check if it is the same issue with another card. Second, reset the camera menu to the default.
If your problem is solved with the first, format your card in the camera.
Keep us posted with your solution.
Henry

aashish37

That's tricky. Try this, first change the flash card and check if it is the same issue with another card. Second, reset the camera menu to the default.
If your problem is solved with the first, format your card in the camera.
Keep us posted with your solution.
Henry
Thanks Henry!!
I'd to reset the camera to default settings. May be it was some kind of software malfunction. I'm able to see two different formats now.

oriole12

Nature Lover
I fullu agree with Henry. The images that you can get through two layers of faded and scratched plastic can never by sharp enough for high quality printing or enlargement. But then many people use only small sizes and only for digital viewing. For them, there is no harm in trying.
One trick I have trieed in my early days of photography is a third party rubber hood. These are available in Chandni Chowk and at stores like B&H. They screw into the filter thread of the lens. The advantage is, they can be actually kept touching the window pane cutting off ambient light. I have long given up aeroplane window photography due to unacceptable quality.

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
I fullu agree with Henry. The images that you can get through two layers of faded and scratched plastic can never by sharp enough for high quality printing or enlargement. But then many people use only small sizes and only for digital viewing. For them, there is no harm in trying.
One trick I have trieed in my early days of photography is a third party rubber hood. These are available in Chandni Chowk and at stores like B&H. They screw into the filter thread of the lens. The advantage is, they can be actually kept touching the window pane cutting off ambient light. I have long given up aeroplane window photography due to unacceptable quality.
Thanks Koshy Sir. I can make a hunt for the rubber hood but I believe it wouldn't be worth the effort. I'll be clicking Himalayas from the plane, so anything in terms of quality will be acceptable as a memory. Ofcourse printing and enlargements are out of question.

hensil

Guru
Thanks Koshy Sir. I can make a hunt for the rubber hood but I believe it wouldn't be worth the effort. I'll be clicking Himalayas from the plane, so anything in terms of quality will be acceptable as a memory. Ofcourse printing and enlargements are out of question.
Rubber hoods are very much worth. Some are even collapsible to cover the tele and wide focal length. Storage is better. You'll get better cushioning sticking to the window glass. Can be used on different lenses with same filter size. I guess you can rotate the poloriser with the hood. It is cheap.
Henry

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
Rubber hoods are very much worth. Some are even collapsible to cover the tele and wide focal length. Storage is better. You'll get better cushioning sticking to the window glass. Can be used on different lenses with same filter size. I guess you can rotate the poloriser with the hood. It is cheap.
Henry
All that is okay, but it needs a day trip to the Chandni Chowk market, whose worth is the question of the hour! :grin:
I'll try to find one when I go for another camera bag! ;)

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
Attaching some pics for comparison (16-85 vs 18-55) here.
All images Straight Out of the Camera, shot JPEG FINE, Handheld!

Nikon 16-85 - All pics shot at 16mm, ISO - 100

1/800s, f3.5
DSC_0741.jpg

1/320s, f/6.3
DSC_0742.jpg

1/160s, f/9
DSC_0743.jpg

1/100s, f11
DSC_0744.jpg

1/50s, f16
DSC_0745.jpg

Nikon 18-55 - All pics shot at 18mm, ISO - 100
1/640s, f/4.5
DSC_0746.jpg

1/320s, f/6.3
DSC_0747.jpg

1/160s, f/9
DSC_0748.jpg

1/100s, f11
DSC_0749.jpg

1/60s, f16
DSC_0750.jpg

I might not have done justice by these pics, but in general, I've 18-55 for about an year, and the 16-85 for a month or so, and its a substantial upgrade from the kit.

I will keep adding more pictures here!

nishchaya

Dreamer
Well, the real difference may come at different focal lengths. I am unable to find much difference in the quality of these pics. The major difference that I see is in the color of the sky. Was the point of focus and metering same every time?

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
Well, the real difference may come at different focal lengths. I am unable to find much difference in the quality of these pics. The major difference that I see is in the color of the sky. Was the point of focus and metering same every time?
Exactly. I've seen 100% crops as well, no substantial difference at this FL, across the aperture range. But maybe I don't how to put it across. I'll add more pictures from the 16-85 today.
Will also try the way Henry explained.