Get permits to Leh from Manali within 5 minutes....easy..

kprixie

Before going on the Ladakh journey i saw lots of people asking how to get permits to Leh from Manali...as in permits required to cross Rohtang and show at Khoksar..etc.
actually its very very easy and we do not need to go to any office in Manali or via touts etc.

When we stop at the barrier just before we enter Manali town..when we pay glreen/ congestion tax. you can pick up your permits from there only. all they checked was the driver´s license and wrote down the other names of people travelling and we got the permit in 5 mins flat. no need for any documents, photocopies, identification for children..nothing. they note down details of vehicle, chassis number etc etc and it was so easy. so when we entered Manali we had permits in hand and we could relax in peace.

kprixie

another thing needed if you are travelling in your own vehicle is your Registration certificate (RC) as thats how they get your engine no, chassis no etc.

turbohead

In Pursuit of Happyness
Before going on the Ladakh journey i saw lots of people asking how to get permits to Leh from Manali...as in permits required to cross Rohtang and show at Khoksar..etc.
actually its very very easy and we do not need to go to any office in Manali or via touts etc.

When we stop at the barrier just before we enter Manali town..when we pay glreen/ congestion tax. you can pick up your permits from there only. all they checked was the driver´s license and wrote down the other names of people travelling and we got the permit in 5 mins flat. no need for any documents, photocopies, identification for children..nothing. they note down details of vehicle, chassis number etc etc and it was so easy. so when we entered Manali we had permits in hand and we could relax in peace.
That's a wonderful update. However when I inquired at the Toll Collection office (same place where we pay green tax) last month, they told me its a very tedious process and you should better hire a cab for going forward. When I insisted that I want to take my own vehicle (was driving 4x4 Endeavour), they asked me to contact the SDM office and same would take atleast one day.

Abhi5217

This is a life saver. I was so concerned about this permit as I am reaching on Aug 14 to Manali n Aug 15 is a holiday. I hope even if we reach late to this crossing, we will be able to get the permit.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
That's a wonderful update. However when I inquired at the Toll Collection office (same place where we pay green tax) last month, they told me its a very tedious process and you should better hire a cab for going forward. When I insisted that I want to take my own vehicle (was driving 4x4 Endeavour), they asked me to contact the SDM office and same would take atleast one day.
Probably the person telling you this was hands in gloves with the taxi union. It is a very simple and straight forward affair, even at the SDM Office.

srinime

Actually the green fee collection booth people advised me to get the permits made from the other office behind. I could have missed it otherwise. I guess it is individual based. Admin may consider putting this info on how to obtain the permit prominently in the road condition / other suitable thread.

omvaikul

Wanderlust Biker
Valuable info.

I presume the barrier b4 manali town is a new thing that has come up since the permit issue came into existence. B4 2011 didn't notice any barriers or toll b4 manali town.

kprixie

Friends...I have JUST crossed Rohtang for Leh 3 days ago...and I GOT PERMITS FOR LEH FROM THE BARRIER.....please do not listen to any random advise. we were all sitting in the car..there is a small 2 room duplex type building right next to the barrier...you go up the stairs...small room...take your RC and Drivers License and we got the pass within 5 minutes. no drama....no touts. in fact only my husband went to this office, i was in the car with my kids...and even i was to drive...but they did not ask my husband anything..just names of passengers going to Leh..no identification for us all. all this in 5 mins less.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw...we have cousins who live in Manali and they told us about this permit at the barrier. so its confirmed

- - - Updated - - -

I have been going to Manali regularly since 2009 and the barrier has always been there since.