Glimpses of Delhi

When Delhi is searing at forty six degrees Celsius in Jun, and it is a Sunday, which is the best place to head to?
Delhi six, did you say?
Well, that's where we went, my son and I.
For a sauna bath!!

As it transpired, his maths home-work had one assignment which involved travelling by Metro, figuring out the distance and the route and lastly working out the expenses.

The 'bakra' accompanying him was his dad.

In-spite of all that is wrong with CC, it is still a delight to shoot in. The best time, though, is early morning. Not 12 noon!
We parked our car at Delhi Haat and boarded the Metro at INA market at 1125 hrs. Reached CC at 2 minutes shy of noon.
Here's how it looks at 12 noon on a Sunday.

This is the inside of the metro, nice and clean.
IMG_37451.jpg

Just out of the CC station.
IMG_37461.jpg

This is the outside of the metro, filthy and dirty. And this is right outside a mandir.
When will we learn
IMG_37471.jpg

'Machinekathandapaniwallahs' increase their business manifold. A dash of lemon to make 'shikanjavi' is a hot favourite!
IMG_37521.jpg

Doors of this nature do not escape my eye.
IMG_37551.jpg

We took to the by-lanes and by and by, through the maze, reached Nai Sarak. It was a'mazing'
I'm sure you have all heard of 'patli gali se satak le'. Well, we saw one today.
IMG_37591.jpg

This is on Nai Sarak, about 200 meters from Town Hall, on the right. The land mark is a 'piyau' or a drinking water point.
IMG_37601.jpg

As you 'satko' from this patli gali, it opens out into a kind of courtyard with some book shops and residences.
Kabir found this lovely looking door.
IMG_37611.jpg

One of the inmates of one of the residences was this affable old gent. He was busy trying to keep up with the times.
IMG_37621.jpg

He directed us to one more of those patli galis. This is what we found.
IMG_37641.jpg

A coffee shop through two of the patli galis!! Serving 'chai pataka'!!
IMG_37651.jpg

We 'cut' through another patli gali and saw this open doorway
IMG_37671.jpg

Ah! Some more doorways!
IMG_37682.jpg

IMG_37691.jpg

IMG_37701.jpg

The glistening sweat will give an idea of the heat that we braved
IMG_37711.jpg

Thereafter, we were back on the main arterial road of CC
The countless cables that hang about are a great way to dry clothes, especially on a Sunday.
IMG_37791.jpg

Charlie Chaplain's shoe were a tad different, I think.
IMG_37801.jpg

Hamara Bajaj chetak
IMG_37811.jpg

One of the commonest sights on Sunday is seeing people relaxing on their comfortable beds.
These beds also known as thelas double up as load carrying vehicles on weekdays.
IMG_37821.jpg

This jovial chap, outside the townhall was selling 'chara' or birdseed for pigeons.
IMG_37841.jpg

There is a glut of seed for the 'fat' pigeons. Still people buy the seed and flood the feeding grounds.
IMG_37851.jpg

IMG_37881.jpg

Money changer
IMG_37891.jpg

IMG_37892.jpg

'Patla darwaza'
IMG_37901.jpg

On a Sunday, with most shops closed, this outlet was doing roaring business.
IMG_37911.jpg

citymonk

Super User
poori I
View attachment 12653

Inviting everyone to pour in their images of Delhi[/QUOTE]

A very nice thread Pushpinder ji,

Today only while crossing Nizamudin area, ' Arab Ki sarai.' Similar thoughts camr to to my mind and here you are.

Very nice Catches Sir. Old delhi is one of my favorite area too.

1. Shahi Tukra must be fried Bread in Sugar Syrup, but why only in winter.
2. Malai for Rs. 15, so there are still takers of this stuff in this part of Delhi. Hope people still consume it raw, they have it with pooris. This man seems not to sell "Khurchan" drived from scratching base of emptied milk Patila.

BTW Have discovered recently, Photography is not allowed in Metro, or I got it wrong.

Last edited:

kdacharya

Super User
doc push,
you have captured the soul of CC and Old Delhi.
Hats off to you. Wish we can do this when I visit. Best regards

A very nice thread Pushpinder ji,

Very nice Catches Sir. Old delhi is one of my favorite area too.

BTW Have discovered recently, Photography is not allowed in Metro, or I got it wrong.
Thanks CM...
Oops, did not see any notice about photography. 'Bach gaye!!'

doc push,
you have captured the soul of CC and Old Delhi.
Hats off to you. Wish we can do this when I visit. Best regards
Thanks KD...
Yes, do keep a day free for a foodie and fotography session in chandni chowk

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, excellent images, as always.
But CC really doesn't tempt me any more. Far too filthy and congested. :(

Hmm, excellent images, as always.
But CC really doesn't tempt me any more. Far too filthy and congested. :(
Thanks Anup sir.
Yes, the filth is a quintessentially Indian trait. Ironically, the metro coach, just a few hundred meters away, was spic and span. The contrast was glaring.
On a Sunday, most of the workers are just 'hanging around.' I would not like to hazard a guess, but a number of them 'do drugs' and are 'mainlining' with god knows what. HIV and Hepatitis B are rampant.
Only a handful of those old joints still exist in their past glory.

Given all that, I still do enjoy walking through those streets, but in winters.

nishchaya

Dreamer
Lovely storytelling doc. I had been to that nai sarak, couple of times to buy some old books. The prices weren't as great as what was fabled.
I recollect my tryst with CC once where a friend of mine was duped while he bought a calculator. It happened in a matter of minutes. He was having a look at a small calculator and all of a sudden was surrounded by four goons who forced him to buy that piece of trash for 100 Rs.

oriole12

Nature Lover
Doc Pushpinder, Awesome vignettes from Old Delhi. As AnupJi said, the filth and jostling crowds do repel, but Old Delhi is still charming to me. Any time of the day, it is a photographer's dream come true. You have captured some very typical scenes of my favourite city!