God,Grapes & the curse of the Hijara - trip to palani-kodaikanal-kumily

smoothwanderer

as i had taken a beer i let go of the drivers seat to sanju . he was doing a good job and we were sailing smoothly along the ghat road with frequent stops for snaps. the energy of the boys was something to be seen. they were cracking jokes without break. mujeeb was the main joker although others were giving back in kind, time and again. if me and wifey had done the trip alone i would have been enjoying the drive silently and she would have been sleeping silently. nearing Melpallam we came across rows of shops selling fruits snacks etc. we had a break there. one f the shops was selling hot chilli bajjis and tea. we had our tummies filled. there were shops selling fresh fruits too. we didn't leave them alone too and had lots of sitaphal which was very sweet & juicy. the area was cod and misty. the mist was so intense that we couldn't see more than a few meters beyond.
IMG_2996.JPG
IMG_2998.JPG
IMG_2999.JPG
IMG_3006.JPG
IMG_3008.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG

smoothwanderer

we spent about half an hour at the falls. the boys were" selfie addicts " they were taking selfies in different poses,with different jackets,& different sunglasses in front of the falls. me and wifey was really amused by the new gen. addictions. mujeeb was the biggest addict as his marriage was fixed for next feb and he had to make an impression on his would be :-D ragmohan was tasked with taking the photos of our would be groom. we drove on leisurely. about five kilometres from kodai disaster struck:shock: there was 2 goats on the road and sanju stopped the car and honked to scare them but they didn't budge he had to slowly drive around them. a TN registered sumo taxi overtook and scraped our vehicle with its bull bar. :-x the driver then started shouting as if it was our fault and drove away. there was a linear scrape from the middle of the vehicle till the rear end.it was deep at the front part of the rear door with a little bit of metal exposed. we remembered he curse of the hijara and somebody joked that paying him off would have been cheaper.we reached kodai by about 5pm. ragmohan had booked a 3 bedroom villa about 5 kms away. but there was some problem with the water supply and the agent got us another one , a 4 bedroom one for the same cost of INR 5000.
IMG_3054.JPG
IMG_3074.JPG

smoothwanderer

we settled into our home for the night, and then off we went for dinner at a hotel near the bus stand, nothing to write about.we came back and talked and joked and hit the sack by 11 pm. we got up by am to a beautiful misty cold morning with the sun playing hide and seek. we made a list of places to see as we planned to leave for kumily the same day. here are the views from our balconey
IMG_3077.JPG
IMG_3078.JPG
IMG_3086.JPG
IMG_3087.JPG
IMG_3100.JPG
IMG_3115.JPG
IMG_3084.JPG
IMG_3086.JPG
IMG_3092.JPG
IMG_3100.JPG

smoothwanderer

we had to vacate the villa by 12 noon so we decided to load our luggage in our innova and vacate in the morning itself. by 10 we left the place. we found a good restaurant and had a heavy breakfast of masala dosa, poori baji ,coffee etc . there was a small stall selling home made chocolates and we all bought them for our friends back home. i was surprised to meet one of my old students in the restaurant. he had come to kodai with friends.the first place we decided to see was the Coakers Walk. its a pedestrian walk way along the edge of the mountain with spectacular views. constructed by a british army officer. for more about it here is a link
Kodaikanal India - Coaker walk -kodaikanal.com
IMG_3121.JPG
IMG_3123.JPG
IMG_3138.JPG
IMG_3140.JPG
IMG_3143.JPG
IMG_3145.JPG
IMG_3167.JPG
IMG_3170.JPG
IMG_3176.JPG

smoothwanderer

at the other end of the walk is a telescope for viewing the valley. but since there was a mist we couldn't use it. we had fresh carrots while walking. then there was a sudden downpour and we took shelter is some of the small stalls in the side. we ran towards the gate. the rain intensified and we took shelter in a church compound nearby. and behold we saw two Benellis parked inside. on was a brand new one without the number plate. we met the proud owners and had a small chat. we then got into the car and rode to the dolphin nose rocks, on the way stopped by the side of the the lake for a couple of snaps. its a man made lake and its water was polluted by mercury from a factory that made mercury thermometer in the past. for more here is a link
Kodaikanal Lake - Wikipedia
IMG_3181.JPG
IMG_3184.JPG
IMG_3186.JPG
IMG_3189.JPG
IMG_3192.JPG
IMG_3193.JPG
IMG_3196.JPG