God's allow Blor Betty passage to Zanskar-Solo

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
At Padum,we checked into Hotel Gaskit(spelling may be wrong)-right on the road bang opposite Padum post office-clean big room with attached bath/toiletfor Rs700 per night.It had a restaurant manned by friendly and efficient staff and was the preferred place for hanging around for a lot of locals,foreign tourists,trek guides and school children alike.After settling in,we moved our luggage from the bikes into the room ,cleaned up,had coffee and my co-riders were off to find beer.The parking of the hotel passed a thin alley which was all hard packed ice and moving the bikes was interesting with lots of slipping sliding cursing-was wondering how people ride on snow to reach winter wonderlands.Co-riders had a beer party and stated that they would have rest the coming day and i told that i would go to Karsha and Zangla-with this i was in bed by 8pm .Tomorrow i go to meet the king of Zangla.

Inside of the restaurant
DSC06992.jpg

Dusty roads
DSC06995.jpg

Old landmark on the way to Karsha monastery
DSC06994.jpg

The land bowl that is Padum
DSC06996.jpg

Karsha monastary in the distance -visible on the hill
DSC06997.jpg

The road was through vast emptiness
DSC06998.jpg

DSC06999.jpg

I thought the village was Karsha-turns out it is Kapsha which turned out to be a different village on the left of Karsha-confusing eh!
DSC07000.jpg

Autumn gold abounded
DSC07001.jpg

DSC07001.jpg

Monastary when viewed from the village
DSC07002.jpg

Views from the road-River Stod on the right-River Tsurup Chu on the left
DSC07003.jpg

DSC07003.jpg

And their sangam to form the River Zanskar
DSC07004.jpg

DSC07005.jpg

DSC07006.jpg

The monastery is an old institution and is housing between 80-100 monks at a given time-it is under the management of the younger brother of the Dalai Lama and the Dalai Lama had visited the monastery a few days before my visit.It was lunch time during my visit so i did'nt disturb the monks too much and did'nt ask too many touristy questions-just soaked in the sun and the views from the heights-after half an hour moved on towards Zangla.

DSC07010.jpg

DSC07012.jpg

DSC07013.jpg

DSC07014.jpg

Feeding time for the birdies too
DSC07016.jpg

DSC07017.jpg

DSC07020.jpg

DSC07021.jpg

DSC07022.jpg

DSC07022.jpg

DSC07023.jpg

DSC07024.jpg

The Tsurup Chu coming from Darcha side on the way to Zangla
DSC07026.jpg

Crossing the bridge on the Tsurup Chu before the sangam on the road to Zangla
DSC07027.jpg

skysat2005

Super User
Another awesome update, keep them coming.
In regard to Tsarap Chu river you mentioned, I believe this river flows around Sarchu plains and gata loops as well and later becomes part of Zanskar river.

Cheers...

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
Another awesome update, keep them coming.
In regard to Tsarap Chu river you mentioned, I believe this river flows around Sarchu plains and gata loops as well and later becomes part of Zanskar river.

Cheers...
I guess you are right @skysat2005 Satish bhaijaan,though i can't be sure-i have just written what a villager at Karsha told me-i think more experienced and knowledgeable travellers can throw some light on this .