Good backup solutions? Pointers needed.

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
Hello everyone.

I have been thinking to use something to backup my files. Let me give some background on this.

I use google drive paid plans to backup the pics and videos on my phone and also important files on my other compters.

I once tried the option of using filezilla to backup files on my phone and computers on a HDD connected to my router. Crude it was but still did the job.

I have been reading about NAS (Network attached storage), but it seems costly to me.

What I am thinking to do is, get something like this, https://www.amazon.in/RAVPower-Wireless-Portable-Streamer-Cellphone/dp/B07N6BYH7Z/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=nas&qid=1610777940&sr=8-4

Connect an HDD to it, and backup all my files on that HDD , irrespective of the device I am using. I use two macs, and one Imac. Plus the files on phone, mainly pics and videos.

And then, cold backup the HDD on Storage classes | Google Cloud

ColdLine storage of Google. Idea is,everything gets backed up on an HDD that is attached to a network and I can access it from where ever I am. The contents of the HDD get backed up on ColdLine (Google Cloud) and in the event that the HDD is destroyed , I am able to still have access to the data.

I am just interested in backing up docs, pics and videos. No intention of streaming movies by storing it on HDD.

So, any pointers?

Is anyone doing something like this here?

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
Raspberry Pi based NAS

1610788491142.png

Sent by a BCMT member ^^

Earlier He said:

I am just in the process of making a NAS server for backing up my photos at home.

Raspberry Pi based NAS with an external hard drive. Download an ISO image of the OS and flash it onto a micro SD card.

After this some config and you got a low power consumption NAS setup.

Raspberry Pi 3 or 4 needed.

I have just flashed Raspberry Pi Lite OS onto an unused 2 GB micro SD card. Now to wait for the Raspberry Pi 3 device to come.

He told this in December end 2020

Last edited:

ashishtamhane

Is anyone doing something like this here?
Well you can try using a Raspberry Pi with external HDD. Its cheap, gets the job done and has a low energy cost.

I used the below link and YouTube but basically on a Raspberry Pi you install a light Linux operating system on a Micro SD Card, install a NAS software and plugin the external drives.

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
Raspberry Pi based NAS

View attachment 792122

Sent by a BCMT member ^^

Earlier He said:

I am just in the process of making a NAS server for backing up my photos at home.

Raspberry Pi based NAS with an external hard drive. Download an ISO image of the OS and flash it onto a micro SD card.

After this some config and you got a low power consumption NAS setup.

Raspberry Pi 3 or 4 needed.

I have just flashed Raspberry Pi Lite OS onto an unused 2 GB micro SD card. Now to wait for the Raspberry Pi 3 device to come.

He told this in December end 2020
This seems like a plan. I have never used raspberry pi before. I have heard about it and wanted to use one for so long now. Maybe, this is the time to use one.

Well you can try using a Raspberry Pi with external HDD. Its cheap, gets the job done and has a low energy cost.

I used the below link and YouTube but basically on a Raspberry Pi you install a light Linux operating system on a Micro SD Card, install a NAS software and plugin the external drives.

I was not aware that we get NAS software too, separately. Now that you have told me this, I will explore it further. This really seems like a good plan.

ashishtamhane

This seems like a plan. I have never used raspberry pi before. I have heard about it and wanted to use one for so long now. Maybe, this is the time to use one.

I was not aware that we get NAS software too, separately. Now that you have told me this, I will explore it further. This really seems like a good plan.
Yeah if you get it right its a great option that can save some cash as well. Just note that if you have external powered HDD without a separate power plug you may need a powered USB hub with the correct power adapter.

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
However, I have just one issue that I would like to explore more. If you can shed light on it, it would be well and good.

I want to backup the HDD to google cloud.. just in case I get the HDD corrupted or something unfortunate happens to HDD.

any pointers on that too ?

Light linux distros are good and I guess, I will need some monitor too to upload the data to google cloud. I mean, I will need monitor to see what I am doing..or I can connect the pi using an HDMI cable and do it.

Theloststory

Raspberry Pi sounds like a very interesting solution.
I do all my backups on external hard drives. I have backups on two hard drives. It’s all very floozy and not uptodate, and I have no meticulous discipline for automated backups even though I could use Apple time machine. My iPhone photos are saved on one hard drive with all my other photos. It’s is time to time manually backup-Ed on another hard drive.

Somehow paying a monthly or annual rent on yet another service bothers me.
If I even take a cloud backup I want to use Backblaze.
I have been a fan of this company ever since they open sourced their storage designs.

And I have been toying with the idea of buying a Synology NAS for work use and keep it in my office for sharing common files between us.

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
Raspberry Pi sounds like a very interesting solution.
I do all my backups on external hard drives. I have backups on two hard drives. It’s all very floozy and not uptodate, and I have no meticulous discipline for automated backups even though I could use Apple time machine. My iPhone photos are saved on one hard drive with all my other photos. It’s is time to time manually backup-Ed on another hard drive.

Somehow paying a monthly or annual rent on yet another service bothers me.
If I even take a cloud backup I want to use Backblaze.
I have been a fan of this company ever since they open sourced their storage designs.

And I have been toying with the idea of buying a Synology NAS for work use and keep it in my office for sharing common files between us.

I want to do backups now because the google drive backup for pics and videos is not cutting it for me. Plus, having everything backed up is not bad idea after all. However, I am also a freak when it comes to security. I can't use Apple time machine since I use MacOs only on my Macbook Air. On my macbook pro and Imac, I use linux. It will take time, I agree, to make backups. However, I once lost some folders while I was trying to format a partition for Linux. I now backup all the important folders on Google Drive.

I keep the HDDs encrypted so that only I can access the data on them. I will have to explore the option of encrypting the HDD that I will be using to backup the data. One of my friend is returning from the US and I am putting together a list of what I want to get for this backup solution. He also wants such a solution so I guess, in a month or two... I will have something conjured up for my backup needs. I will post here what I did.

Last edited:

ashishtamhane

However, I have just one issue that I would like to explore more. If you can shed light on it, it would be well and good.

I want to backup the HDD to google cloud.. just in case I get the HDD corrupted or something unfortunate happens to HDD.

any pointers on that too ?

Light linux distros are good and I guess, I will need some monitor too to upload the data to google cloud. I mean, I will need monitor to see what I am doing..or I can connect the pi using an HDMI cable and do it.
If you have a laptop then you can connect to the Raspberry Pi by connecting it to the network and SSH into the Pi.

Else it has a HDMI slot.

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 Plus using Tapatalk