Good backup solutions? Pointers needed.

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
I got it done. I use Linux on my iMac.

I got a virtual machine inside Linux to run Open Media Vault..a NAS software...

Now, I can access the NAS from my phone.. and from my macbooks..

I dont feel the need to keep the NAS up for 24 hours... but my iMac runs for almost 24 hours everyday.. so I have a decent setup.

I want the disks to be encrypted.. so I am using the NAS software on an encrypted Ubuntu installation.. with a Virtual machine inside it...

Here is the tutorial, in case anyone wants to try it.

if you have a spare PC, you can do this.

I am not getting a raspberry pi now...

Now , I just have to explore solutions which can backup the files stored on NAS, to cloud... will update once I have some thing...

Last edited:

Chales-bay

Never keep all your eggs in one basket!

I would suggest having one portable hard drive that will hardly cost Rs 3,000 for 2 TB and keep a local backup with you.

I am using WD (1.5 TB, for last 1.6 years) but crrrrrr sound started, hope it will last for at least one more year.

Additionally, I have Toshiba portable drive (1 TB) for last 3 years, and still working fine.

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
Never keep all your eggs in one basket!

I would suggest having one portable hard drive that will hardly cost Rs 3,000 for 2 TB and keep a local backup with you.

I am using WD (1.5 TB, for last 1.6 years) but crrrrrr sound started, hope it will last for at least one more year.

Additionally, I have Toshiba portable drive (1 TB) for last 3 years, and still working fine.
I got a 5TB HDD, backing up everything on it. The contents of the HDD are backed up on google drive.