Good Highways Bad food

Theloststory

I have been driving extensively acroos the highways in Maharashtra, Karnatka and Punjab. The average road condition is pretty good, but he average food is terrible.

I have had close to zero success in finding good Maharashtrian food on the highways of Maharashtra. Unfortunately any eatery you walk into, serves that same terrible pidgin 'north indian' : butter chicken, paneer mattar etc. and terrible ones at that.

So! I have found the best food in places that are difficult to locate a second time, mostly tiny 'tapris', off the beaten tracks. I have eaten the best jhumka-bhakari of my life in the forts of Sinhagarh (near pune) and Pratapgarh (near Mahabaleshwar).

On a drive from Udupi (terrible food in that city) to Madikeri, we found a tiny road side stall, making fresh neer dosa and fish curry. Perhaps some of the best I have eaten. Will see if I can find geo- coordinates of the place to share.

Once on a drive from Delhi to Amritsar, we pased a patch of continuos veg dhabas and we all wanted to eat some true blue butter chicken. Finally, out of desperate hunger we stopped at a KFC!!!! We couldnt find anything for a long time on the stretch!

classicrajat

The Legend
I think you should do some research before venturing out on highway..some threads in BCMT have valuable information about amazing food available on highways.
IMO :You can keep 'highway on my plate' book for reference while on indian highways.

kprixie

I found the book Highway on my Plate to be quite a disappointment....very sporadic info and not of highways in particular...best is to read posts in this forum. lots of great eating joints recommended here..

I don't want you guys to beat me up on this but its common with highways in any part of India, you simply won't get the food which is worth drooling. You might get good food but that's just about it. Its even more serious in case of non-veg food. Obviously there are exceptions to this but on an average, lipsmacking food is available with in the confines of city. Whenever you are in Delhi, buzz me or send me a PM and either I'll take you to places serving good food or at least I can guide you to those places.

classicrajat

The Legend
I found the book Highway on my Plate to be quite a disappointment....very sporadic info and not of highways in particular...best is to read posts in this forum. lots of great eating joints recommended here..
Hope ur trying only those joints which have high review points from Rocky & Mayur. :)

I have extensively used the info given in the book and never got any disappointment..and of course the taste is always subjective :)

kprixie

Rajat...i did not try anything much from that book as there wasn't a huge variety to begin with. i was looking for info on good eat joints on the road/ highway and not in the city. it had more options in the cities.
@ Vikas.......i will be driving to delhi around 2nd Feb...reaching morn. so do let me know of great place to have best bfast foods. just don't suggest narrow lanes etc...as diff with the suv..

kprixie

Sure thing Vikas...much appreciated. am dropping my mom off at airport....mom is foodie and she wud love it....