Good Highways Bad food

oriole12

Nature Lover
I have been able to find good eateries on the highways of Punjab and on the GT Road in Haryana. But my experience on the Highways of Rajasthan and Gujarat have not been as good, though tolerable quality food can occasionally be found if you are lucky and if you check up with threads on BCMT or with people who are familiar. In UP, on the Delhi Meerut road, there are some good locations. Gajraula on the Moradabad road has Giani and a few places. Agra Highway has also many decent places including the high end ones at Mathura. Kerala Highways are pretty good for food joints. East Coast Road from Chennai to Mamallpuram has excellent reestaurants including some in the town. Meddur on the Bangalore Mysore road is famous for some Veg Tiffin Rooms. For the rest of the highways, the general statement that it is difficult to find good food holds true.

Big Daddy

Super User
I am not a great fan of Maharastrian food. Jhumka Bhakri is the worst. I mean who with a right mind will eat Bhakri. It tastes like a stale dried roti. It reminds me of the food given to Rajpal Yadav in movie "Chupke Chupke".

I like North Indian and South Indian food. Naan and Dal Makhni, Parathas, Idili, Dosa, Puri etc. are all good. For the most part you cannot mess up on these things. Marathi food is good when it is Marathi fast food (Bhel, Misal, Vada Pav etc.). I don't think you can make traditional Marathi food in restaurants. It is too much effort and I don't think most people will want to eat it.

kprixie

We were very lucky with food in Gujarat. awesome food and best chai on every food stop we made on the highway. maharashtra...not so good. western xpressway, lots of these muslim dhabas on the highway and they only serve non veg...and they STARE like hell if a lady walks in. very uncomfortable. best is to eat at Kamat's.

ashwinb

Big Daddy;837374 I mean who with a right mind will eat Bhakri. It tastes like a stale dried roti. It reminds me of the food given to Rajpal Yadav in movie "Chupke Chupke". I like North Indian and South Indian food. Naan and Dal Makhni said:
That's a little offensive, if you dont like it,say so, "who inth their right minds" is resented. And too bad you didn't get good bhakri.
Naan and dal makhni,and especially idli too can go wrong on highway places, unfortunately. I've had idlis which are rock hard,and naans which are chewy.

oriole12

Nature Lover
dal makhni,and especially idli too can go wrong on highway places, unfortunately. I've had idlis which are rock hard,and naans which are chewy.
Daal Makhni is one of the most difficult dishes to get right. I can count on the fingers of just one hand the places in India I've had great Daal Makhni! The less said of idli, the better. Idli is one of the worst distorted and poorly made dish in India. North of Hyderabad, it is a rare restauarent that sells good idli. The situation has somewhat changed after franchises of Sagar Ratna, Saravana Bhawan, etc. have proliferated in the North. A caveat here is in order. Not all franchisees of South Indian restaurants are serving passable idlis and sambar a South Indian can live with!
The only saving grace for idli is, ready made, ground idli/ dosa dough is available in most North Indian and even in American cities.

Theloststory

I am not a great fan of Maharastrian food. Jhumka Bhakri is the worst. I mean who with a right mind will eat Bhakri. It tastes like a stale dried roti. It reminds me of the food given to Rajpal Yadav in movie "Chupke Chupke".

I like North Indian and South Indian food. Naan and Dal Makhni, Parathas, Idili, Dosa, Puri etc. are all good. For the most part you cannot mess up on these things. Marathi food is good when it is Marathi fast food (Bhel, Misal, Vada Pav etc.). I don't think you can make traditional Marathi food in restaurants. It is too much effort and I don't think most people will want to eat it.

Well, I disagree. I think Maharashtrian food is as good as any other, but the problem is no one serves it right. Just like if you have eaten the real Sarson Ka Saag in someone's house, you will never liek what is served in a restaurant.

Came across this interesting local food listing. Admins, apologies for posting a link.

Big Daddy

Super User
That's a little offensive, if you dont like it,say so, "who inth their right minds" is resented. And too bad you didn't get good bhakri.
Naan and dal makhni,and especially idli too can go wrong on highway places, unfortunately. I've had idlis which are rock hard,and naans which are chewy.
That's because you may be reading as food prepared by Maharastrians. I dislike traditional Maharastrian food (puran poli, Jhunka, Bhakri, Shrikhand etc.). They all suck. Too sweet or bland. This does not mean Maharastrians are bad cooks. It is just that what is considered traditional Maharastrian food is not to my liking. Then there is something called "Ukdi modak," it is extremely bad even to look at it. Yikes.