Good Highways Bad food

I have been driving extensively acroos the highways in Maharashtra, Karnatka and Punjab. The average road condition is pretty good, but he average food is terrible.

I have had close to zero success in finding good Maharashtrian food on the highways of Maharashtra. Unfortunately any eatery you walk into, serves that same terrible pidgin 'north indian' : butter chicken, paneer mattar etc. and terrible ones at that.

So! I have found the best food in places that are difficult to locate a second time, mostly tiny 'tapris', off the beaten tracks. I have eaten the best jhumka-bhakari of my life in the forts of Sinhagarh (near pune) and Pratapgarh (near Mahabaleshwar).

On a drive from Udupi (terrible food in that city) to Madikeri, we found a tiny road side stall, making fresh neer dosa and fish curry. Perhaps some of the best I have eaten. Will see if I can find geo- coordinates of the place to share.

Once on a drive from Delhi to Amritsar, we pased a patch of continuos veg dhabas and we all wanted to eat some true blue butter chicken. Finally, out of desperate hunger we stopped at a KFC!!!! We couldnt find anything for a long time on the stretch!
Recently, I had to stop over at a small town called Dhule in MH for a night halt, on my way to Indore. Bang on the highway I could locate a hotel with name "Manas".

The rooms are clean, well maintained and reasonably priced. The restaurant serves awesome food.

Theloststory

On a recent 3200 km road trip from Mumbai to Puducherry and back, I found good filter coffee only once, in Puducherry. A famous place, I think it's called Kapi Centre or something, off the beach road, next to the secretariats building. Most places were serving Nescafé!

I also found a good meal (traditional food served on a banana leaf) only a couple of times.

In a recent trip to Rajasthan, disliked the food terribly. Floating in copious amounts of oil and unnecessary amounts of low grade spices. Everywhere. I have eaten Rajasthani dishes at home and in friend's homes and it's delicious! Restaurants and dhabas take away all the subtle flavours by excess oil and over cooking.

sanjugalande

I am not a great fan of Maharastrian food. Jhumka Bhakri is the worst. I mean who with a right mind will eat Bhakri. It tastes like a stale dried roti. It reminds me of the food given to Rajpal Yadav in movie "Chupke Chupke".

I like North Indian and South Indian food. Naan and Dal Makhni, Parathas, Idili, Dosa, Puri etc. are all good. For the most part you cannot mess up on these things. Marathi food is good when it is Marathi fast food (Bhel, Misal, Vada Pav etc.). I don't think you can make traditional Marathi food in restaurants. It is too much effort and I don't think most people will want to eat it.
if you are fan of maharashtraian food its upto you..but comparing food with what rampal yadhav is not all good.
Any indian food is as its best cooked by heart. we also here in nashik eaten North food like mess. but never compared food with bad thngs after all "We treat food as purna bharma".

Sticking to the Post heading - There are virtually no eateries on the 600 Km stretch between Lucknow and Darbhanga (Bihar). Good highway - virtually no food. The same applies to the Bihar - Bengal stretch all the way to Bhutan border.

I would stick to local food rather than expecting butter chicken, dal makhni in a dhaba in Bengal/Bihar or even Maharashtra and then rating the food as terrible. Nothing wrong with arhar dal cooked with raw mango and a side of begun bhaja and mashed potaoes with onions, green chilli and raw mustard oil ( Aloo Siddho).

Also what never dissapoint in places where food is hard to get is anda bhurji and tandoori roti. No one can screw that one up!
IMG_9489.JPG

Food, in my opinion, is a very subjective item. What may seem awesome to one may be seen as aweful by another. Besides one may get to develop a sort of of dislike to the same taste that he has been consuming repeatedly over a period of time, no matter how good/bad, tasteful/untasteful others may take it to be. To me what matters more are hygiene, cleanliness and quality of ingredients that are used, taste comes later.

I would any day prefer a place where I find no flies, mosquitoes, pets, unclean utensils around. To me the better food is the one which has no burnt oil, excessive oil, too much spices, too much hot or too much sweet, stale food, stored food etc. Taste comes at last. Of my very limited highway journey experience across, MH, MP, RJ, KA, TN, AP, KL and GJ, I usually end up finding good food more easily in KA and AP than elsewhere.

Theloststory

@Vista.Dweller #truethate found good food on the interior dhabas, not the large stops where everyone stops buy. Whether in Rajasthan or MP or Karnataka, it's these tiny places that have good food. Of course hygiene remains a concern and as long as the food is well cooked it's safe.

Found amazing vegetarian food in Delhi at Naoroji Nagar Market. The place is called Babboo Da Punjabi Dhaba. Less oil, less masala. Piping hot made in front of you, and you eat while sitting under an old pipal tree.

@Vista.Dweller #truethate found good food on the interior dhabas, not the large stops where everyone stops buy. Whether in Rajasthan or MP or Karnataka, it's these tiny places that have good food. Of course hygiene remains a concern and as long as the food is well cooked it's safe.

Found amazing vegetarian food in Delhi at Naoroji Nagar Market. The place is called Babboo Da Punjabi Dhaba. Less oil, less masala. Piping hot made in front of you, and you eat while sitting under an old pipal tree.
Thanks for the information. Next time I visit Delhi, I make a point to visit the Babboo Da Punjabi Dhaba, for sure. I am always a fan of hot piping Parathas that one finds at Dhabas on the Delhi - Chandigarh highway. They feel just awesome particularly during December winters. Chilly whether, Fog all around, On the highway Dhaba and then Hot parathas with loads of butter.....oooh just irresistible.