Government Accommodation Websites

karun0035

Hi All,

Do we have a separate thread containing details about booking various Govt. properties/accommodations here on the Forum?
If not, let's create one. Why I am asking this is because:
Members can share information related to this very important part of any travel (i.e. stay). There are 100s to websites offering private room bookings (hotels, lodges etc.), but it becomes really difficult for a newbie to exactly search for govt. websites and to make a successful booking!!
Don't let me get talking into search engines, meta data, google search/ranking algorithm et al.

I will delete this Post, if it's not useful!!

Please let me know your thoughts in this.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
By government properties do you also mean tourism hotels eg. HPTDC or just the PWD, FRH and other state government guest houses?

Because apart from the tourism hotels, I don’t think any other government properties can be booked online. You can get the contact details for them online and then get the booking done by phone, email or a physical letter.

Big Daddy

Super User
I think he means sites like these. They are highly state specific and not as widespread across India. I could be wrong too.

I also think this was an old fashioned way to make reservations before latest booking web sites became available. Thes government websites were useful reservation links for foreigners that could book hotels from overseas. State governments used to publish rates so that foreigners did not feel that they are ripped off.

It would be nice to know if these sites are still operational and how reliable they are or how they fare against makemytrip.com type websites.

Welcome to MTDC Hotels

Last edited:

karun0035

By government properties do you also mean tourism hotels eg. HPTDC or just the PWD, FRH and other state government guest houses?
Yes. At times it becomes difficult to find the official website of such departments. Not to mention, Google do not rank the page well to appear in first few searches.

I think he means sites like these. They are highly state specific and not as widespread across India. I could be wrong too.
Yes, this is exactly what I mean. What I have seen is in spite of plenty of govt. accommodations, the information about them is not known to many.
You can also book from other websites (such as MMT), but govt. accommodation is something which I look out for. At times I am disappointed, and sometimes I am delighted! ... so depends.
But, having a handy list won't be harmful!

We can compile it on State Basis.

Big Daddy

Super User
Around 2007 those were the only sites available. It was little old fashioned India where the government used to present exact tariff and even taxes. There were no deals just flat prices. The prices were reasonable. I actually liked those sites but I believe that those sites may not function as they used to. The culture has changed.

During those days, you would look at prices online, call and make a reservation. Personally, I found that convenient and reliable as there were no middle person/portal playing games. If you made a reservation then you had the room. Otherwise, you would hear that all the rooms are booked.

These government websites have stopped updating their prices. I think, today, visiting these websites may be like walking in a URL graveyard of stale or missing links. The government has gotten greedy and I would be surprised that they would be honestly publishing flat prices. I am not really surprised that many people are not aware of these avenues.

If these sites actually work and are available then I would go there first even when there are no smartphone apps for these things.

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Tourism Department hotel can be booked online and most of their website work just fine. However, PWD and FRH and other state department guest houses dont have any online booking platform. State-wise list of PWD and Forest Rest Houses (atleast for tourism dependent states) is available on the net. These list contains contact points and numbers but these lists may not be updated, hence contact numbers may not be relevant.

karun0035

These government websites have stopped updating their prices. I think, today, visiting these websites may be like walking in a URL graveyard of stale or missing links. The government has gotten greedy and I would be surprised that they would be honestly publishing flat prices. I am not really surprised that many people are not aware of these avenues.
Please have a look at HPTDC's website as Yogesh has mentioned. I've used this website for making my all reservations without any issues and hidden charges. There is no confusion either at the time of checkout. However, GST is collected (which is not shown at the time of booking) but only when if you've actually stayed in the property!

WOW! That's a gold mine ... thanks for sharing and please add more ....