GPS: Standalone Vs Mobile

anupamkansal

I was surfing the india tiems when I chanced upon GP Ssystems for sale, waht caught my atention was a SatGuide DAta Logger for 7k...

link:
http://shopping.indiatimes.com/i/f/t/SatGuide_Data_Logger-pid-2537358-ctl-20376651-cat-970187-pc-964892-&bid=&prc=&sid=&q=&

Now this thing does not have anything in it except a GPS receiver and BT transmitter. This got me thinking, Nokia 5230 with a screen, BT etc is 8.5K ... then why go for this satguide thing? Now all the data loggers I have seen store upto 200k data points, but with Nokia phone enabled with a SD card, that is virtually limitless, u can see maps, run sports tracker, racecrono and other free apps ... all this can be done, ponk in a data card sim or plain disable the radio to save battery.

Now, regarding car systems, like Lx140 etc, If I use 5800 (INR 12k) that has tv out, I can plug it into a in-car LCD display ( Chinese are 3k ish for a 7" display) to get a real big map plus portability?

Upload Mapmuindia / satnav all India maps for 2k ish and you have good loud (connect your mobile to you BT-A2DP enabled ICE system) big screen, portable GPS navigation system.

Only disadvantage I see is that mobile screens are small ... so you might have to stop to to give in some inputs.

So for a Lx140 (using it for a reference only) the cost will be 14.5k, 5800+maps+7" screen is 17k ...

What do you guys say? Does it make more sense to go for the combo setup?

anupamkansal

hmmm .... portability ... hmmm ... car nav units are not meant to be removed from cars? at max they offer 4-5 hours of battery time, plus you cant slip them in your jeans pocket. 5800 you can?

What is your definition of portability?

amitmaggoo

Insanity is Hereditary
By portability I mean here is that its simple plug n play. You dont have to operate multiple devices (phone + screen etc.) for one task.