Habib Guest House : Hunder : Nubra desert : Ladakh

Indianature

Time Passer
Thank you, Ammachi. We use yeast almost twise a week to make appams :)
Really? I always thought appam batter was fermented with coconut milk. I have to catch my Mallu friend here to make some appam egg roast soon, now that we are talking about it. Or I have to wait till I go back to New Kerala :p

and this looks almost like Naan...
And yes, it should go well with prawn masala as well.
Now time has come to pester my wifey with this...:p
The texture is quite different from Naan, and the taste too. Also, Naan is made with maida whereas Khamiri is made with Atta.
Anyway you will find out soon how it is when your dear wifey makes it for you:)

Last edited:

John Mathai

john-the wanderer
Really? I always thought appam batter was fermented with coconut milk. I have to catch my Mallu friend here to make some appam egg roast soon, now that we are talking about it. Or I have to wait till I go back to New Kerala :p
Fermentation of the batter for appam is traditionally done with toddy :p and not with coconut milk. Coconut milk is added for taste. Now as the availability of pure toddy is almost nil (yes, the toddy is manufactured in these days :mad:) yeast is the best bet.

Anyway you will find out soon how it is when your dear wifey makes it for you:)
Testing times seemed to have come... :p

Indianature

Time Passer
Fermentation of the batter for appam is traditionally done with toddy
and not with coconut milk
Ooops .. displaying my ignorance
My Mallu friend who makes me appams has suddenly disappeared to New Kerala to play with her grand daughter:D, I expect she also uses yeast:)

codelust

Shyam
Let us not make any pretensions about this place, it is basic but it is more than adequately comfortable and the hosts go out of their way to make their guests feel at home.
Compared to Chang La guest house at Tangtse [on a freezing cold day], Habib GH is luxurious!
Loved the place. It is quiet and tucked away, with plenty of spaces to go for a walk if the sun is not too harsh.

I prefer well-appointed simple places like these to the super luxury ones. Gives you less of a feeling of being a tourist.

Mr Rahman and one of his five camels
View attachment 384586
Camel with a CH plate, that is a first!

The son probably brought a vehicle along from Chandigarh, where he's doing his graduation.

Even in Turtuk I saw a group sharing joints right next to that beautiful rivulet where I was trying to set my tripod and they had created a real mess out there. I wish I could cancel their visas :mad:
You'll not want to go to Kasol then :D

Changspa is indeed a ghetto. In 2009, there were far fewer desi tourists in Leh compared to them. That said, we leave much more of a mess than anyone else. By that logic, we'll have to ban ourselves first!

nadeem

Wanderer
Stayed @ Habib's in August.

There son is a huge contrast to Mr. and Ms. Rehman, who were very warm and helping. The lady surely deserves respect for running the home stay.

On the other hand, the son, who probably got spoiled in Chandigarh, uses '' Ohh Jesus '' in each sentence, speaks funny english and was pushing us to pay much higher, around Rs.1000/ room.

gomsi

gomsi
I am not sure about the place but I met their Son on the way from Delhi Airport to ISBT in the AIrport Bus. He was having some issues with his mobile and had to make urgent call. Despite being skeptical at first I lent him my phone and he was very thankful for my gesture. He asked me to visit leh and even gave his card to me offering good discount whenever I visit between June to September as this is the time he is there.

pops8906

We stayed there during our 2011 ride and they had given us two rooms for 5 riders. They didn't have camels back then.

subhankar paul

And miles to go before I sleep
I also enjoyed the hospitality of Mrs & Mr. G.H.Rahman (09469736543) at Habib Guest Gouse during my Nubra valley trip in July this year(courtesy great Rigzin Wangchuk - the legendary cabie of black Scorpio).
The u.s.p of the stay that Rahman family never left any stone unturned to ensure all possible comfort of the guests. Cozy & sparkling clean rooms with valley view and delicious home made foods of traditional local cuisine. We simply loved it.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
I stayed at Habib Guest House during my recent trip to Ladakh in end-October. Nice and large rooms and great hospitality with lovely food. They even gave me hot water at 5:30am, knowing I would be checking out at that time! Overall a wonderful place to stay at in Hunder, though a bit off the main road.

habib-guest-house-humder-nubra-valley.jpg

habib-guest-house-room.jpg

habib-guest-house-room-2.jpg

habib-guest-house-bathroom.jpg