Hanle Observatory Guest House

Since Hanle observatory guest house is not possible to book anymore, stay at home stay available there.

There are two home stays that I got to know of. The first one is owned by the family which owns the only STD booth in town. The second one is owned by Sonam Dorje. The former has a functional bathroom which is clean but the room is not that clean. The latter is cleaner but an operational bathroom will only happen by September.

Both charge by the bed at 200 per bed for the night. I will share some pictures and phone number of the former once i'm back in Delhi. they serve home cooked food as well.

naveen_123max

Er. Naveen Mudgal
Hi,

I am going to Hanle in this month end..... please share the needed info.....
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi Naveen,

Sorry for the delay.

There are two home-stays at Hanle. One is managed by the owner of the only STD booth there. It is located immediately as you enter the village on the left hand side. The contact number is 089919 22047. They charge @ 200 rupees per head. Have two rooms which can accommodate a total of 8 people. There's a bathroom with running water as well, reasonably clean. However, the room - the quilt were a little dirty. Since the number belongs to a booth which is occupied ALL the time with a minimum of 30min - 45min waiting. I would suggest you to call up at about 10:30pm to get connected.

There's another home-stay owned by a certain Sonam Dorje. Apparently his home-stay is cleaner and vouched by the personnel at the observatory. The owner too seemed to be more pleasant. However, I dont think they have an operational bathroom yet. He was saying due to some issues that would only be complete by September this year. He does not have a phone number on which you can get in touch with him. But you can always do that on arrival.

In any case, neither of these two homestays need any booking. There are hardly people visiting Hanle, only some manage.

s_k_m13

Hello,
I shall probably be in Hanle on 30 Sep/ 1 Oct this year for 1 night. I want to check with the IIA whether they would provide the booking for the Hanle Observatory guest house. I just hope if they start giving the bookings again after the tourist season ends by mid-September.
Can someone please send me the concerned Email-id of the IIA Bangalore office?
Thanks..

Hello,
I shall probably be in Hanle on 30 Sep/ 1 Oct this year for 1 night. I want to check with the IIA whether they would provide the booking for the Hanle Observatory guest house. I just hope if they start giving the bookings again after the tourist season ends by mid-September.
Can someone please send me the concerned Email-id of the IIA Bangalore office?
Thanks..
We just returned back from our Ladakh Trip. We stayed at IIA Guest House in Hanle as we had booked them 3 months in advance. They are just entertaining the requests that they had accepted in the past. We met the Officer-in-charge at their Leh office and he told that they have stopped allowing Guests to stay at their Guest House permanently as they have received a mandate from Senior Management in this regard. So folks, there is no point in contacting them again and again. We can still visit their Observatory in case someone is interested.