Help ! Chandigarh Narkanda - Sangla-Kalpa-chitkul-Chandigarh 7 days

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is possible to do Kiarighat to Sangla; it will take about ten hours. Instead, I would suggest that you do Kiarighat to Sarahan and spend a night or two there.
(Narkanda is actually a transit halt. There is nothing much to see except make a foray to Hatu Peak for some breathtaking views. But, during the summer months it is possible that the views are compromised because of forest fires and haze).
There are many hotels in Sangla Valley. You might like to check out the Banjara Camp in Sangla; a riverside location of luxury Swiss tents. Else the Rupin River View Hotel at Rakcham about 8 or 10 kms ahead of Sangla, towards Chitkul.
Chitkul is the end of the road in Sangla Valley. Two days for Sangla Valley (including Chitkul) would be fine. You can opt to stay a night at Chitkul if you find a decent hotel.
Sangla to Kalpa takes about three hours. There are many private hotels in Kalpa and I would imagine you will be able to find something satisfactory. Of course the hassle of looking for a hotel on arrival is something many of us would like to avoid. Worst case scenario is to return to Sangla if you find nothing suitable at Kalpa. That is a very unlikely.
For the return journey you could stay a night at Narkanda, mainly to break journey.
May is a difficult time; it is peak season. Prices are atrocious and service poor in most places.

It is possible to do Kiarighat to Sangla; it will take about ten hours. Instead, I would suggest that you do Kiarighat to Sarahan and spend a night or two there.
(Narkanda is actually a transit halt. There is nothing much to see except make a foray to Hatu Peak for some breathtaking views. But, during the summer months it is possible that the views are compromised because of forest fires and haze).
There are many hotels in Sangla Valley. You might like to check out the Banjara Camp in Sangla; a riverside location of luxury Swiss tents. Else the Rupin River View Hotel at Rakcham about 8 or 10 kms ahead of Sangla, towards Chitkul.
Chitkul is the end of the road in Sangla Valley. Two days for Sangla Valley (including Chitkul) would be fine. You can opt to stay a night at Chitkul if you find a decent hotel.
Sangla to Kalpa takes about three hours. There are many private hotels in Kalpa and I would imagine you will be able to find something satisfactory. Of course the hassle of looking for a hotel on arrival is something many of us would like to avoid. Worst case scenario is to return to Sangla if you find nothing suitable at Kalpa. That is a very unlikely.
For the return journey you could stay a night at Narkanda, mainly to break journey.
May is a difficult time; it is peak season. Prices are atrocious and service poor in most places.
Thank you very much sir so my itinerary should go like this now
Day 1 May 20, Chandigarh to Kiarighat
Day 2 May 21 Kiarighat to Sarahan
Day 3 May 22 Sarahan
Day 4 May 23 Sarahan to Sangla
Day 5 May 24 Sangal + Chitkul
Day 6 May 25 Sangla + Chitkul
Day 7 May 26 Chitkul Narkanda
Day 8 May 27 Narkanda - Chandigarh

Is it ok or too much time for sangla + chitkul?

Thanks

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey, where did Kalpa go? :eek:
I'm sure you'll find a decent place there that you'll like.
You must try and stay a night at Kalpa. The views and the sunset/sunrise are worth it!

Hey, where did Kalpa go? :eek:
I'm sure you'll find a decent place there that you'll like.
You must try and stay a night at Kalpa. The views and the sunset/sunrise are worth it!
Oooops!!!!!

Day 1 May 20, Chandigarh to Kiarighat
Day 2 May 21 Kiarighat to Sarahan (2 nights sarahan)
Day 3 May 22 Sarahan
Day 4 May 23 Sarahan to Sangla (2 Nights Sangla Chitkul as i consider if we leave early morning from sarahan we get almost full day for sangla (23rd, 24 full day chitkul)
Day 5 May 24 Sangal + Chitkul
Day 6 May 25 Sangla + Kalpa (25th leave early for kalpa, reach before lunch, hotel etc, then village temples, sunset
Day 7 May 26 Kalpa Narkanda (morning sunrise at kalpa breakfast, and leave late morning around 11 for narkanda)
Day 8 May 27 Narkanda - Chandigarh

Now sounds better... isnt it? plz suggest if any changes, i think i need to book hotels fast especially kalpa

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hotel Srikhand at Sarahan is a well managed property. Kalpa Kinner Kailash is awesome but upkeep left a bit to be desired.
At Kapla there are many hotels that offer almost identical views.
At Sarahan there are two garish looking hotels close to the Srikhand; these could offer similar views from their valley facing rooms but you will not really want to stay anywhere else once you see Srikhand.

Hotel Srikhand at Sarahan is a well managed property. Kalpa Kinner Kailash is awesome but upkeep left a bit to be desired.
At Kapla there are many hotels that offer almost identical views.
At Sarahan there are two garish looking hotels close to the Srikhand; these could offer similar views from their valley facing rooms but you will not really want to stay anywhere else once you see Srikhand.
Agreed sir, Shrikhand is the best option, but they dont have 3 rooms on 21st n 22nd May 2016. I have checked online . Thats why seeking reviews from forum members if any one has stayed else where and have positive feedbacks.

Thank you