Help Needed: Drive from Delhi to Mcleodganj

danrockd

DanFotoWorx
Hi All,

Coming back after a long time.. as I know I can find my answers here. :)

Planning a trip with family to Mcleodganj/Naddi early October so I have few questions:

1. Google Maps suggest the following route: Delhi-Ambala-Anandpur Sahib - Una - Kangra with aprox drive time of 10 hours. Is this a good route (road conditions/traffic)?

2. Where can I stop overnight on the above route. I want to keep the second half of the route shorter. So I am thinking Anandpur Sahib or Rupnagar. Do these places have good overnight stays? I don't want to spend too much for this stay.

3. Have thought about staying at Naddi. How are the roads leading up to here. I will be driving my VW Polo.

4. What preparations do I need to make for my car as this is my first drive to the hills.

5. Is there a way to drive up to some place towards Triund? Do they have ponies to carry people?

I hope that's not a lot to ask. :)

Thanks in advance.
Dan.

coolaks7

I drove on the same route last year in October and trekked to Triund. Let me try to answer to your queries.
1. Though I am not much updated about the current route situation but since you are driving from Delhi, there is no major alternate route available and the roads are generally in good condition. Only thing is that after Una, I was advised to head to Mubarikpur and reach Kangra via Chintpurni instead of taking right from Amb. I covered the distance in around 9 hrs including 2 small breaks totaling 1hrs. (started at 8PM, reached around 5AM).

2. Anandpur Sahib has night stays option available.

3. Not much idea about Naddi. We stayed at Bhagsu and an I20 reached easily.

4. The usual highway checks -tyre pressure (all 5 tyress), Engine Oil level, Coolant, battery and wiper blades apart from all the documents.

5. For Triund, you can drive till Gullu Mata mandir which is the start point of the Trek (Triund is 7km trek from there). This is approx 2-3kms from Dharamkot, 5-6kms from Mcleod. Ponies/Mules are used only to carry Groceries to the top.

Triund is an easy Trek and has literally become like a picnic spot specially during the weekends. I have seen school kids to oldies trek to the top. Only the end 2kms are bit treacherous. So dont worry, once you start walking the mountains and the meadows will pull you to the top.

Have a nice trip and do ask in case you need any further info.

Regards
Ankush

danrockd

DanFotoWorx
I drove on the same route last year in October and trekked to Triund. Let me try to answer to your queries.
1. Though I am not much updated about the current route situation but since you are driving from Delhi, there is no major alternate route available and the roads are generally in good condition. Only thing is that after Una, I was advised to head to Mubarikpur and reach Kangra via Chintpurni instead of taking right from Amb. I covered the distance in around 9 hrs including 2 small breaks totaling 1hrs. (started at 8PM, reached around 5AM).

2. Anandpur Sahib has night stays option available.

3. Not much idea about Naddi. We stayed at Bhagsu and an I20 reached easily.

4. The usual highway checks -tyre pressure (all 5 tyress), Engine Oil level, Coolant, battery and wiper blades apart from all the documents.

5. For Triund, you can drive till Gullu Mata mandir which is the start point of the Trek (Triund is 7km trek from there). This is approx 2-3kms from Dharamkot, 5-6kms from Mcleod. Ponies/Mules are used only to carry Groceries to the top.

Triund is an easy Trek and has literally become like a picnic spot specially during the weekends. I have seen school kids to oldies trek to the top. Only the end 2kms are bit treacherous. So dont worry, once you start walking the mountains and the meadows will pull you to the top.

Have a nice trip and do ask in case you need any further info.

Regards
Ankush
Thanks for your answers. :)
As far as the trek is concerned, that's not a problem for me (I have done Valley of Flowers trek) but we have a 3 year old kid, and I don't think we can carry her along.