High Altitude: Acclimatization and Illnesses

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Yogesh Sarkar, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Salil

Salil Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks to Anup for getting my attention back to this thread (no I am not ignoring it or something... I just missed the thread).

The reason is obvious.
    The wind direction for most part of the year is towards the North, i.e., from Manali towards Leh (the general direction). A pass is the lowest point on a mountain ridge through which there's a passage to the other side of the ridge.
    You can consider the ridge a wall that stops the clouds being carried by the wind and so it rains on the Manali side while the other side of the pass is a rain shadow region.

I guess these illustrations explains it better:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Karandeep likes this.
  2. anupmathur

anupmathur Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Salil. Very informative.
    I do tend to think that the above is possibly not the whole answer. I think it's to do with 'local' conditions at particular areas creating 'convection rainfall'. This happens at numerous places in the mountains even without passes eg: Lansdowne, Nainital and many others.
    More 'gyan' welcome on this topic.

3. darth_lucifer

darth_lucifer Rides R Us

Nice useful gyan.

In my opinion drinking lots of water helps in combatting ams.I had never seen anything higher than western ghats prior to my leh trip.Drank a lot of water spiked with electral and glucon-D.Never suffered from AMS anywhere.Spent 12 hours at pang without any issues..

If you dont pee after every one hour you dont drink enough water:)

All high altitude travellers for first time....swim a lot prior to trip.It increases lung capacity.

here is a link for the survival guide:

http://www.mounteverest.net/expguide/altdangers.htm

Though none of us would be adventurous enuf for everest some sections in this site about how these guys prepare for ascent are revelant to people who like to go high.Hope it help.

HAPE and HACE which are complications of AMS are very much fatal.There is only one solution.Descend immediately.Unfortunately there is a high atitude trap between baralacha la and taglang la.To descend you have to actually ascend these passes.So drink water.Dont smoke or have achohol. anywhere.

4. sparsharun

sparsharun Active Member

just drink water with glucose and have diamox from the prev day. worked for us guys. we stayed the night at pang. only 1 out of 12 was hit with ams through out the trip.

5. Prasham

Prasham Armchair Traveller :(

I have also used "Coca" (Homeopathic Medicine) for fighting AMS.

I used it alongwith Diamox (1 everynight from manali onwards).

I felt little headache on K-Top, rest was fantastic.

Moreover If you use Diamox, drink plenty of water as it is Diuretic and causes water loss and Dehydration in Ladakh could cause harmful complications. If you aren't using Diamox there is no need of drinking lots of water as it doesn't help to fight AMS.

6. lalit

lalit cheers!!

AMS

well this time I am trying to make all of us depend upon homeopathic liquids :

Cocculus Indicus Homeopathic Single Remedy for motion sickness and also insomnia: Homeopathic Medicated Pellets.

Carbo Vegetabilis Homeopathic Single Remedy for stomach gas or flatulence and sluggish digestion also used for shortness of breath

As few cant take Dimox or any strong medicines, I recommend to take these two along and You can use 1 drop each on your tounge as many times as u want (3 times recommended)

Let me check on my this trip to leh from manali and if it works out good or not, I 'll share the experience with all of you later.

take care

7. anupmathur

anupmathur Super Moderator Staff Member

Neither one of these even mentions anything to do with ALTITUDE sickness, only travel sickness. The two sicknesses are VERY different and completely un-related! Please be careful.
    And if one Diamox tab is too much, take half. In fact that is the recommended dosage. I think that means 175 mg (half tab).

8. darth_lucifer

darth_lucifer Rides R Us

Hi Lalit,not wanting to discourage you plz dont recommend any medicines unless you are expert on them.Do not recommend them to anyone even after you survive manali-leh trip.AMS is fatal and I wouldnt recommend people rely on short measures.

9. prem.arora

prem.arora Active Member

We recently did the Leh circuit ride. I didn't take diamox at all and only resorted to drinking water. And always used to keep 2-3 l water with me and used to refill it at dhabas or buy water bottles. Disciplined water drinking twice every hour or so.

I had felt some nausea, dizziness or tiredness just after coming down from Tanglang-La or Baralach-La, that too only for a couple of hours. Apart from that, the night at Sarachu was sleepless and tough night. Still I must have drank water in the night at least 6 to 8 times with temperatures dipping almost till zero.

And, I think there is nothing better than water to be able to go through high altitudes.

10. Prasham

Prasham Armchair Traveller :(

This is purely psycological aspect. Actually diamox when taken it causes loss of water and hence in order to save one from dehydration regular intake is often suggested here.

But when you aren't taking any diamox, water can't actually help from acclimatize.

Anyways thanks for sharing.