High Altitude: Acclimatization and Illnesses

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Yogesh Sarkar, Jul 6, 2006.

1. PRODiGY

PRODiGY Member

till taglang la i was skeptical if the AMS would hit me or not. I was feeling very fresh and energised at the cool top of rohtangla and the gorgeous barlachala. Although i am not effected by extreme cold or hot weather, altitute was something i have never been before but at tanglangla, i felt even better. Had a Wills Navy Cut ciggie and enjoyed the view beforing moving on to Rumste. No different at K-Top either, i was thinking i must be worlds highest smoker :D

I guess it differs from person to person.

2. Gaurav Pai

Gaurav Pai Active Member

Sirjee, make that two..
    wen i did my tour to Ladakh...at all the passess, there were photography breaks and with that used to come my smoking breaks..

i had Gold flake kings at all the passes and also at Khardungla...that to all the way going to the top at a distance from small temple at the top of K'la !!:p:grin:

P.S: No sickness and acclimatization problem !!

3. PRODiGY

PRODiGY Member

i really think AMS is hyped up too much... what it does is creates anxiety and fear in a rider. Yes AMS is a fact, i was speaking with the bullet guys and almost all of them had faced some degree of AMS but they were going at a very fast pace, did manali to leh in 1.5 days flat.

You may never know when and to whom it may strike, so being over prepared for it is useless. Acclaimatisation is both the prevention and cure. We did Manali to Leh in 3 days and the overnight stay at Sarchu must have prepared by body for the altitute.

4. Gaurav Pai

Gaurav Pai Active Member

rightly said, the fast you ascent, the more are the chances of AMS...u have to be slow in order to make your body get matched to that altitude, level of oxygen and thin air..

5. bunty

bunty passion to travel

boozing is anti ams or pro ams?

6. popsha

popsha Incredible Bulk

Its very pro AMS... during trips like these people tend to drink less water than they usually would have had when in plains.

This results in dehydration ... to add to it the air at high altitudes is dry ... the Diamox you will take to combat AMS is diuretic (will make you loose water fast)

And on top of it alcohol is the biggest factor for dehydration. So if you are feeling a lil hit by AMS ... do not drink alcohol ... it will worsen the situation. Instea drink lots of water and try to come down fast.

7. bunty

bunty passion to travel

thanks dude..

8. popsha

popsha Incredible Bulk

Yup the trick to combat AMS is not in getting 'high' but the other way round

9. moarora

moarora New Member

hey folks,

We are planning to carry few Red Bulls apart from Glucose for our trip from Delhi-Leh. Is that fine or we should avoid such energy drinks?

Cheers!
    MoA

10. Prasham

Prasham Armchair Traveller :(

There's no harm in carrying them but don't use them unless you are completely drained off energy as these so called energy drinks are pretty harmful to your body.