Himachal in February

yogiraj

Hello All,

I am planning to visit Himachal in last week of Feb and I have around 10 days at disposal.

I have chalked out an itinerary below. I would like the trip to be a relaxed one and I am happy to drop a destination or change the sequence if the trip can be made little more laid back. Right now I feel there is too much of travelling involved but I am not able to decide what to change.
I prefer to stay at any place for a minimum of two nights, anything less than that, I feel we spend too much time in unpacking and packing things.

We are a couple with a three year old daughter.

I am planning to hire a cab for entire trip.

Day 1 Pune – Delhi – Chandigarh (Flight+Train). Stay at Kalka

Day 2 Kalka-Shimla, Shimla mall road, Ridge (Toy Train+Cab). Stay at Shimla

Day 3 Shimla –Shimla Mall Road & Ridge, local sightseeing (3 hrs by Cab).Stay at Shimla

Day 4 Shimla-Kufri- Sarahan (160km, 6 hrs by Cab). Stay at Sarahan

Day 5 Sarahan- Manali (Via Jalori Pass) (230km, 7hrs by Cab). Stay at Manali

Day 6 Manali & Local sightseeing (4hrs by Cab). Stay at Manali

Day 8 Manali-Parashar Lake-Manali (200 km, 7 hrs by Cab). Stay at Manali

Day 7 Manali - Solang Valley - Kullu-Manikarna-Kasol (120 km, 4 hrs by Cab). Stay at Kasol

Day 9 Kasol-Chandigarh (300 km, 8 hrs by Cab). Stay at Chandigarh

Day 10 Chandigarh – Delhi – Pune (Train+Flight).

Thanks,
Yogiraj.

adsatinder

explorer
Day 5 Sarahan- Manali (Via Jalori Pass) (230km, 7hrs by Cab). Stay at Manali

If Jalori Pass gets blocked with Snow, then you can't cross it at all.
Western Disturbance can create snowfall and your way can be blocked.
You have to move via other way.
Keep spare time for this & keep eye on Road Block and Weather News.
Your Shimla / Sarahan Hotel can confirm way opening of Jalori PAss easily on phone.

Day 8 Manali-Parashar Lake-Manali (200 km, 7 hrs by Cab). Stay at Manali

Better stay at Manali and move nearby only.
Don't goto Parashar Lake as Snow on road will not let you move to top on a vehicle.
You may not do a trek with your baby.
You can't go there in winters on vehicle.
Go on foot only with less facilities.
2-3 days are ok at Manali and nearby.

vj81

There is very little to no chance of Jalori pass being open in last week of Feb. You should call some guest house owners in Shoja (3 kms from Jalori pass), they can tell you the exact status. I remember, one of them being Raja guest house. Have stayed there few years back, but dont have the number handy. Google their number.

yogiraj

Many thanks for your inputs adsatinder and vj81.
Looking at possible closure of Jalori pass, I am dropping Sarahan from the plan and will only do a day trip from Shimla to Narkanda and will travel from Shimla to Manali on following day via Bilaspur- Mandi route.
Would Hatu peak be a ‭worthy addition to Narkanda visit?

Thanks,

Yogiraj.

vj81

To go to Hatu peak, There is a road that starts 1 km from Narkanda market. Hatu top is about 5 kms from starting point. You may find snow about 1 km from starting point. There is very little chance to reach Hatu top by car, unless you want to trek.

vj81

Also, since you have dropped Sarahan, you may want to explore Tirthan valley, on the way to Manali. You can stay overnight at one of the many properties along the river. Route to Tirthan valley takes diversion just before Aut tunnel, after Mandi

Camila D'souza

Many thanks for your inputs adsatinder and vj81.
Looking at possible closure of Jalori pass, I am dropping Sarahan from the plan and will only do a day trip from Shimla to Narkanda and will travel from Shimla to Manali on following day via Bilaspur- Mandi route.
Would Hatu peak be a ‭worthy addition to Narkanda visit?

Thanks,

Yogiraj.
Hi Yogi

You can visit Hatu Peak but the best season to visit Hatu Peak is the summer season and onset the winter. The temperature remains cool and comfortable and is apt for sightseeing. The best months to visit are April, May, June, July, August, September and October.

Winters approach Hatu Peak in October and lasts till February. The climate is pleasantly cool and the temperature ranges from -10°C to 10°C. Woollen clothes are preferred to take while going for Hatu Peak during winter season. Especially for your 3 years old baby.

There are some deluxe and medium to budget accommodation options nearby Hatu Peak. Narkanda Camp Resort (Narkanda), Tethys Narkanda Resort (Village: Nagrot), Agyaat Vaas (Near Hatu Peak) and The Wilderness (Tannijubbar) are the popular hotels of the city.

You can add Hatu Peak in your Itinerary.

Thanks