Hippopotamus | दरियाई घोड़ा | Delhi Zoo

shahronakm

Best watched in Full HD (1080p) with sound on.

Discover Vibrant India presents Hippopotamus at Delhi Zoo.

Filmed at National Zoological Park, New Delhi, December 2018.

Video taken with Panasonic FZ 70 & Still pictures taken with Nikon 7100 & Nikkor 18- 200 mm.

The Hippopotamus also called the Hippo is a large, mostly herbivorous, semi aquatic mammal.
Their main diet in National Zoological Park is Green fodder.
They spend 16 Hours a day in water which is why the Greeks named them The River Horse दरियाई घोड़ा. It is as agile in water as a horse is on land. Hippos can hold their breath for up to five minutes in water.
Their eyes & nostrils are located high on their heads which allows them to see & breathe while mostly submerged.
The Hippopotamus is the second largest land animal in size & the third largest land animal in weight. The Elephant is the heaviest & the White Rhinoceros is the second heaviest but a bit smaller than the hippo. Hippo males measure around 3.5 metres long & 1.5 metres tall & can weigh up to 3,200 Kgs. That’s as much as three small cars! In the wild Hippos live for around 40 years. In captivity or zoos they tend to live longer & may reach up to 50 years old.
India does not have any Hippos outside of zoos or similar confined areas. In the wild they are largely confined to protected areas in East African countries.

Thanks for watching.

This is interesting! I honestly did not know that Hippos are the second-largest land animal. Thanks for this informative thread, new learnings! Will probably save this video and let my niece watch it. She will surely love it because she loves animals! Also fascinated with how they see and breath underwater... or even how they move while submerged. However, did not expect that they only have around 40 years to live. Shorter than what I expected. Hope that they will not go instinct even hundered years later. The country should do something to protect them and make sure that no hippo is harmed.

shahronakm

This is interesting! I honestly did not know that Hippos are the second-largest land animal. Thanks for this informative thread, new learnings! Will probably save this video and let my niece watch it. She will surely love it because she loves animals! Also fascinated with how they see and breath underwater... or even how they move while submerged. However, did not expect that they only have around 40 years to live. Shorter than what I expected. Hope that they will not go instinct even hundered years later. The country should do something to protect them and make sure that no hippo is harmed.
Thanks a lot for watching & for your detailed comments.

Hope your niece likes the video too.

As we have mentioned there are no wild hippos in India, the are found only in captivity (read zoos) in India & over there they are expected to live little longer as compared to wild. Though India has One Horned Rhinoceros in the wild mainly found in Assam & West Bengal. I am sure hippo as a specie will survive for centuries to come.