Home-coming of a Car traversing through the ancient ruins of the Hindi Heartland

deepam

Super User
Good to know of Netarhat.
I hope we had more schools like this spread across our country; where kids from all walks of life get to study.
By doing over decades, we could have done away with the need for Registration by caste or religion.

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Good to know of Netarhat.
I hope we had more schools like this spread across our country; where kids from all walks of life get to study.
By doing over decades, we could have done away with the need for Registration by caste or religion.
thank you

Alpha

Going to Neverland
We came back to the highway racing our steps back. The Vishwa Shanti Stupa was next in our list. As we move towards it, we saw a sign board mentioning Bimbisar’s Jail. Apparently, this was the same place where King Bimbisar was jailed by his own Son – King Ajatshatru. It was a huge compound with stone foundations only. That too seems to be have been reconstructed or repaired by the ASI. Since an iron manacle was found in one of the stone cells, it is believed that Bimbisar was jailed here by Ajatshatru. Apart from this fact, the place has no charm and nothing to offer to a simple visitor.

Colorful tumtum
34.JPG

35.JPG

36.JPG

37.JPG

38.JPG

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Thankfully, this place did not extract much time from us. Five minutes and we were back again in pursuit of the Vishwa Shanti Stupa. In another few minutes we were near the ticket counter for the aerial rope-way. The counter was empty and we easily got two tickets for the chair-car. It costed us Rs.80 each. Hanging on a chair ascending the steep mountain can be a scary experience for some, but I always wanted to do this – since I first saw Dev Anand and Hema Malini in the movie Johny Mera Naam singing a love song on the Rajgir rope-way. Rajgir always meant this for me. Today I fulfilled my long cherished dream. Only, I had no Hema Malini for company. Anyways, we reached the end point of the rope-way pretty soon. And took the pathway for about 200-300 meters to reach the Stupa. In another few minutes the imposing Vishwa Shanti Stupa, one of the 80 peace pagodas built worldwide, was right in front of us. It was built in the year 1969 and the oldest peace pagoda in India, by the neo-Buddhist organisation Nipponzan Myohoji. It was already past 11.00 am and the day was getting real hot by now. We made a retreat. Descending down the rope-way was equally fun as well as scary.

39.JPG

40.JPG

41.JPG

42.JPG

43.JPG

44.JPG

end of the ride
45.JPG

46.JPG

47.JPG

48.JPG

49.JPG

50.JPG

Vulture's Peak
51.JPG

52.JPG

53.JPG

54.JPG

Vulture's Peak once again
55.JPG

turning back
56.JPG

Alpha

Going to Neverland
One of the place of interest in Rajgir mentioned in a tourist information board which caught our attention was Chariot Wheel marks. Fortunately it was on the road side itself just a little ahead on our planned route. The site also boasted of some shell inscriptions. Well, the wheel marks were quiet easily visible and easily decipherable to be made by a running wheel. The astonishing part was that it was made in a stone surface. It is believed to be made by landing of Chariot of Lord Krishna, who brought along Bheema to fight Jarasandha. The site bore witness to the bloody fight between these two fighters. According to the caretaker/gatekeeper of the site, the legend goes that the heat generated due to the non-stop fighting between these two giant fighters were the reason for the melting of the stone. Finally, Lord Krishna arrived on his flying Chariot and took away Bheema from this site. Jarasandh too followed. He showed various marks purporting to be made of their knees and elbows thudding into the soft stone. Then he showed us many shell writings which is yet to be deciphered. I would say without taking into considering the mythical stories being attributed to the site, it was a full paisa vasool outing.

57.JPG

58.JPG

wheel marks
59.JPG

wheel marks
60.JPG

wheel marks
61.JPG

some of the shell inscriptions
62.JPG

63.JPG

knee/elbow marks
64.JPG

The caretaker who acted as a story-teller
65.JPG

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Our time at Rajgir was more or less completed. It was about 12.00 noon and day was getting uncomfortable now. We decided to make a quick dash for Bodh Gaya, our destination for the night. But we hardly left Rajgir and found a newly excavated Stupa by the road side. A little further was remnants of ancient cyclopean wall. The Stupa was a simple Stupa made of baked bricks. There was not much information available about this excavation at the site. Probably, it is still under excavation and development.

66.JPG

67.JPG

68.JPG

69.JPG

70.JPG

71.JPG

72.JPG

Alpha

Going to Neverland
As we crossed the Stupa we could spot the Cyclopean wall encircling the ancient town of Rajgir. It is believed to be built by Mauryan Kings about 2500 years ago to protect their capital from external invaders and enemies. Today, most of its part exist in ruins, however, ASI has reconstructed some parts of this wall and is maintaining the same.

A Bodhi tree look-a-like at the newly excavated Stupa
73.JPG

A stone-henge look-a-like too..am i dreaming or what!!
74.JPG

Cyclopean wall of Rajgir
75.JPG

76.JPG

adsatinder

explorer
Stonehenge of India:

Earlier, Megalith sites were discovered near Hazaribagh and Ranchi in Jharkhand. But no such site was found in Bihar. It is the first time that these strucutres were found here,” said Dr Vijay Kumar Chaudhary, the director of Patna’s Bihar Virasat Samiti and former director of KP Jaiswal Research Institute in Patna.

Bihar’s first Megalith sites discovered in Rohtas

adsatinder

explorer
Megalith marvel near Ranchi

Stones date back to 1AD, says archaeology professor

ByRUDRA BISWAS

Published 25.01.16

Ranchi, Jan. 24: Jharkhand's second largest cluster of megaliths - prehistoric tombstones in layman terms - was discovered on the capital doorstep today, prompting conservation clamour from the archaeological fraternity.

The 300-plus giant stones were found randomly placed over an area of 400sqm at Yamuna Nagar, a residential colony off Ratu Road, 12km from the heart of Ranchi. They were mostly hidden under shrubs and garbage when eminent archaeologist and retired deputy director of state art and culture department Harendra Prasad Sinha and his team chanced upon them this morning.

"Megaliths have been found at a number of districts like Chatra, Hazaribagh, Ramgarh, Lohardaga and Khunti, besides Ranchi, in the past. But, this is the second largest find after some 7,000 stones were physically discovered at Chokahatu in Silli (70km from the capital) in 2005. A British colonel had written about it in the 19th century though," Sinha told The Telegraph.

Sinha, who now takes postgraduate classes in archaeology at Ranchi University, and two of his students - Udesh Kumar and Lalit Aditya - said they rushed to Yamuna Nagar in Sukhdeonagar thana area following a tip off.

A rough count revealed 369 megaliths of varying shapes and sizes. These, Sinha believes, were used in the Neolithic Age around 1AD to cover mortal remains of the dead. Some of the large stones were found resting on four smaller ones like a table.

"In archaeology, these are called tabletop megaliths. The single erect ones are menhirs and the flat ones are cap stones," he explained.

Since Yamuna Nagar is a fast expanding residential area, Sinha fears many of the megaliths may have already been lost. "It is highly possible they were taken away and converted into stone chips for construction projects," he said, underscoring the need for conservation of the site after the day's discovery.

"Unfortunately, no megalith has ever been excavated scientifically in Jharkhand. In 2013, workers digging a deep trench to construct a drain at Lutidih village in Chatra had chanced upon a huge cache of ancient pottery. When I inspected the site, I found a menhir had also been dug up," he maintained.

Elaborating on the intrigue that megaliths are, Sinha said, "Though these ancient tombstones have been discovered across the globe, it is still not clear who these megalith builders were or where they came from. I will soon draw up a report on today's findings and submit it to the art and culture minister, requesting protection of the Yamuna Nagar site."

Residents of the colony were dumbfounded to learn that they were living on a Neolithic Age burial ground. "I have been living here for 20 years and no one ever told me about the historical significance of this place until now," a wide-eyed Narayan Sahu (35), who runs a small grocery store in the area, told The Telegraph and hoped that the government would move quickly to conserve the site.

Megalith marvel near Ranchi