Home PC - Help with config

Prasham

Armchair Traveller :(
Hi,

I am planning to buy/build a Home PC that will be used primarily for below purpose

1) Watching Movies/Shows
2) Reading ebooks
3) Moderate Gaming
4) Kids Projects

I am thinking to put up a 32" Monitor/TV in order to get better feel while watching movies and to get better readability for my ebooks. Also I plan to install it in my bedroom & since the distance between me and the monitor will be around 12 fts, I feel 32" monitor will be good.

Below is my confusion:

1) What configuration should I opt for? I've taken good care of my gadgets in past and many have worked for more than 10 years. So want a PC with that has enough juice for the future.

2) Can I use a TV instead of Monitor? What are the advantages/disadvantages? Also, will I need a smart TV or regular one with a HDMI?

Any other advice on the matter is also welcome.

Regards

Admin01

Administrator
What is your budget?

A TV isn’t good as a monitor and a large monitor would be really expensive. You would be better off buying a 24-27” monitor and a 40-60” TV.

Prasham

Budget isn't decided but am thinking to keep it under 50k, including couple of wireless headphones in addition to the above.

Roshni

There are different category of monitors and TV both so the requirement is not perfectly clear to me.

Admin01

Administrator
50k is going to be a seriously limiting budget, if you’re looking to build a PC that will last you a long time and is powerful enough to game now and in future. Especially considering a good quality 27” monitor would set you back by around 15-16k and around 26k if you’re planning to go for a 4k one. A 32” full HD LED TV will set you back by around 20k as well, and that isn’t going to appropriate for reading text.

A 1050Ti graphics card will cost around 14-15k as well.

Here is a config that you can work with:

CPU Ryzen 5 1500x = 13.8k

A B350 based motherboard = 7k

8GB HyperX DDR4 RAM = 7k (add another stick later on)

2TB WD HDD = 4.7k

Cabinet = 3k

Power supply (Antec, Cooler Master or Corsair) 500W basic = 3k

Keyboard and Mouse Combo = 700

Total = 39200

You can add graphics card later or while building the system, based on your need, but if you have gaming in mind, don’t go for anything less than a 1050Ti.

You will need to add a UPS as well, so consider around 3k for that.

SSD is essential these days, add another 4-8k based on the capacity (don’t go for anything less than 120GB, preferably 240GB.)

Prasham

There are different category of monitors and TV both so the requirement is not perfectly clear to me.
Well I am no technocrat and hence I don't know what to answer. I've simply posted my requirements :D

Prasham

50k is going to be a seriously limiting budget, if you’re looking to build a PC that will last you a long time and is powerful enough to game now and in future. Especially considering a good quality 27” monitor would set you back by around 15-16k and around 26k if you’re planning to go for a 4k one. A 32” full HD LED TV will set you back by around 20k as well, and that isn’t going to appropriate for reading text.

A 1050Ti graphics card will cost around 14-15k as well.

Here is a config that you can work with:

CPU Ryzen 5 1500x = 13.8k

A B350 based motherboard = 7k

8GB HyperX DDR4 RAM = 7k (add another stick later on)

2TB WD HDD = 4.7k

Cabinet = 3k

Power supply (Antec, Cooler Master or Corsair) 500W basic = 3k

Keyboard and Mouse Combo = 700

Total = 39200

You can add graphics card later or while building the system, based on your need, but if you have gaming in mind, don’t go for anything less than a 1050Ti.

You will need to add a UPS as well, so consider around 3k for that.

SSD is essential these days, add another 4-8k based on the capacity (don’t go for anything less than 120GB, preferably 240GB.)

1) I am not looking to add both monitor & TV. I may buy either of them. A friend who is HOD at an engineering college said that they have a few PCs which are paired with TVs. I shall go to check the setup in a couple of days and decide if I want to go ahead with a TV or monitor.

2) I play very old games. Basically my reflexes are slightly slow and hence I find it very challenging to play advanced games. On my mobile I still have age old Bomberman, in which I have never crossed level 8, even after a year. Considering this I doubt if I really need a graphic card. Also since it can be added later on, I will prefer to use that money to get a better CPU / Motherboard and/or RAM.

3) Considering that I am not going to run 4k content and play heavy games, I doubt if SSD will have any benefits. Ofcourse a faster boot up isn't required as its a leisure product.

4) I have an invertor installed at my home, shall I still need an UPS?

Above all... Thanks for giving such an informative reply. I haven't been able to visit BCMT since a while but its good to know that you are still the same old Mr. Helping Hand.

Admin01

Administrator
Buying a TV later on would be a good idea. For a viewing distance of 12’, something like 50-60” would be a better bet. 32” is going to seem fairly small. Good thing is, if you aren’t after big brands or fantastic panel quality, you can get that for 30-40k.

You will change that statement, once you start using an SSD. It isn’t just about faster boot time; it is also the overall responsiveness of the computer while even launching and using browser, MS Word etc..

Even if you have an inverter, you still need a UPS, unless the switchover time in Inverter is fast enough to not cause your computer to reboot (which I doubt is the case.)

Good to see you back on BCMT :).

Prasham

What's the reason behind suggesting an AMD processor instead of Intel? How's the quality and aftersales with AMD?

Admin01

Administrator
Actually you can get better performance for your buck with Intel’s i5 8400 (6 cores) and I just checked, it is at the same price as the 1500x (4 cores), so it might be a good idea getting that instead of AMD.

Though the recent handling of Meltdown and Spectre bugs by Intel has sort of turned me away from their brand.

AMD is good when it comes to quality and sales and support. Though it is extremely rare that a CPU would develop any issue later down in its life cycle.