Honda City 2013 - Headlights Not Bright Enough

deepam

Super User
Smarty,
I have questions for you:
  1. When was the last time you replaced your headlight bulbs?
  2. When was the battery changed?
After 6-7 years of Bulbs usuage; the bulb may not fuse out but will become dim. If you replace the above with standard, light should improve. I recently discovered that bulb was replaced 3 years back but eventually the light had become dull. So I replaced the bulb and it did improve [this was about 2 months post change of Car battery].

Also the headlamp unit was any time replaced. If the Headlamp unit was replaced from After market; I have observed that the transparent will turn translucent more towards yellow making it throw dimmer light.

At night, I request you to switch on lights in your parking and watch your headlamp unit, you will be surprised to see small bubbles on the cover. This one will not be able to seen during the day. If the bubbles are more, I recommend to replace the Headlamp assembly and buy it from Honda.

When it rains heavily whatever be the light; visibility drops drastically and one has to be cautious while driving.

smarty

Smarty,
I have questions for you:
  1. When was the last time you replaced your headlight bulbs?
  2. When was the battery changed?
After 6-7 years of Bulbs usuage; the bulb may not fuse out but will become dim. If you replace the above with standard, light should improve. I recently discovered that bulb was replaced 3 years back but eventually the light had become dull. So I replaced the bulb and it did improve [this was about 2 months post change of Car battery].

Also the headlamp unit was any time replaced. If the Headlamp unit was replaced from After market; I have observed that the transparent will turn translucent more towards yellow making it throw dimmer light.

At night, I request you to switch on lights in your parking and watch your headlamp unit, you will be surprised to see small bubbles on the cover. This one will not be able to seen during the day. If the bubbles are more, I recommend to replace the Headlamp assembly and buy it from Honda.

When it rains heavily whatever be the light; visibility drops drastically and one has to be cautious while driving.
1. Never changed the headlight bulbs - 7 year old car now
2. Battery was changed just couple of months ago.

As you mentioned, I checked the headlamp unit in the dark after lighting up the headlights, I see no bubbles. So I think we're good there.
The other option you recommended is the one I need to try - replacing the bulbs.. as they are about 7 years old now. Quite possible that they've dimmed.

Thanks @deepam for your suggestions.

deepam

Super User
1. Never changed the headlight bulbs - 7 year old car now
2. Battery was changed just couple of months ago.

As you mentioned, I checked the headlamp unit in the dark after lighting up the headlights, I see no bubbles. So I think we're good there.
The other option you recommended is the one I need to try - replacing the bulbs.. as they are about 7 years old now. Quite possible that they've dimmed.

Thanks @deepam for your suggestions.
------
Welcome @smarty
Do share the feedback after you have replaced Head lamp unit with new Bulbs.

smarty

Based on the suggestion on this thread, I tried the Philips Xtreme vision. The driver side (right-hand side) headlight I've replaced with Xtreme vision and left is still the stock one. Please checkout the pictures - low beam as well as high beam. I can definitely see improvement in terms of brightness, although couldn't check the throw as couldn't find any place too dark where I stay. Will check the throw once I go outside of city sometime next week.
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I'll have the other headlight also replace with Xtreme vision soon.

Cheers!

Attachments

geniousanupam

Super User
Why don't you try installing LED?

Lesser power consumption with higher output.

IMO, Philips and Osram bulbs are outdated now.

smarty

Why don't you try installing LED?

Lesser power consumption with higher output.

IMO, Philips and Osram bulbs are outdated now.
Had thought about this option, but installing LEDs require other electrical changes and didn't want to mess with the car's electricals, so went the traditional way.

smarty

Based on the suggestion on this thread, I tried the Philips Xtreme vision. The driver side (right-hand side) headlight I've replaced with Xtreme vision and left is still the stock one. Please checkout the pictures - low beam as well as high beam. I can definitely see improvement in terms of brightness, although couldn't check the throw as couldn't find any place too dark where I stay. Will check the throw once I go outside of city sometime next week.
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I'll have the other headlight also replace with Xtreme vision soon.

Cheers!
An update here, the Philips XV+ got dim just after few days of usage. See attached pic.
Got really upset that just 15 days used and this happened! Strange thing is these don't even have warranty with it, so neither Philips nor Amazon (had bought from Amazon) are ready to entertain. :sad:

Attachments