Honda City 2013 - Headlights Not Bright Enough

deepam

Super User
++++++++++++++
@smarty,
In my opinion, both bulbs [Left and right] should have been replaced at one go. Replacing one bulb with new and other with old, I suspect to be the problem.
Check once the Alternator is charging the battery. This can be checked at any battery shop.
Also get once the ECU scanned and check error codes. There should be some errors in the log file to get you the hint.

geniousanupam

Super User
And who said that?? LED's are plug and play my friend. Just buy H4 LED and replace that. Voila!!

Had thought about this option, but installing LEDs require other electrical changes and didn't want to mess with the car's electricals, so went the traditional way.

geniousanupam

Super User
I don't see any logic here, If one bulb is blown you will replace that one only and not both. IMO. No personal offence. I don't like to waste money. LOL.

Battery and alternator problem will dim both not one along with other car accessories.

As long as there is no "Check engine light" on dash what's the point on getting the car scanned?

++++++++++++++
@smarty,
In my opinion, both bulbs [Left and right] should have been replaced at one go. Replacing one bulb with new and other with old, I suspect to be the problem.
Check once the Alternator is charging the battery. This can be checked at any battery shop.
Also get once the ECU scanned and check error codes. There should be some errors in the log file to get you the hint.

Last edited:

geniousanupam

Super User
I can't see the wattage on the replaced bulb, suspecting the stock to be 65W or 55W. If there is no difference in wattage then the bulb is gone.

I 1st used Philips Extreme back in 2005 and had kind of so so experience, had to replace them every after 6-9 months, usually during rain/Fog.

There are 110/100W bulbs available in market and might be you need to install one relay (Plug and play) and you will be good to go.

All new model car comes with LED equipped because of low power consumption and better life.

You can order online from Aliexpress, will take some time but worth giving it a try.

Based on the suggestion on this thread, I tried the Philips Xtreme vision. The driver side (right-hand side) headlight I've replaced with Xtreme vision and left is still the stock one. Please checkout the pictures - low beam as well as high beam. I can definitely see improvement in terms of brightness, although couldn't check the throw as couldn't find any place too dark where I stay. Will check the throw once I go outside of city sometime next week.
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I'll have the other headlight also replace with Xtreme vision soon.

Cheers!

deepam

Super User
I don't see any logic here, If one bulb is blown you will replace that one only and not both. IMO. No personal offence. I don't like to waste money. LOL.

Battery and alternator problem will dim both not one along with other car accessories.

As long as there is no "Check engine light" on dash what's the point on getting the car scanned?
=======
@geniousanupam
I do not trust the DASH light indications, based on my experience on 2 occasions:
  1. I never got Glow Plug indication [3 instances], observing cranking at start of the car and MID response. I suspected on the Glow plug. On checking 1 or 2 Glow plugs had gone kaput.
  2. Never got a low battery error [2 instances] indication but battery's life was almost to end of its life.

So, I recommend for a scan.

Recently my car 3 bulbs blow [2 high beam and 1 low beam]; when I replaced the bulbs I could clearly see a difference in light and it was significant / irritating.
Why I recommended replacing both, as @smarty indicated that it was a while the bulbs were changed.

My observations the normal Halogen bulbs lasts for ~ 3 years or 60 k km [assuming your drive at night is > 50%].

geniousanupam

Super User
See, this is the reason I told you on your thread, Duster/Terrano are good to drive but they actually lack when it comes to technology.

You are absolutely right from your point of view. :supz:

=======
@geniousanupam
I do not trust the DASH light indications, based on my experience on 2 occasions:
  1. I never got Glow Plug indication [3 instances], observing cranking at start of the car and MID response. I suspected on the Glow plug. On checking 1 or 2 Glow plugs had gone kaput.
  2. Never got a low battery error [2 instances] indication but battery's life was almost to end of its life.

Recently my car 3 bulbs blow [2 high beam and 1 low beam]; when I replaced the bulbs I could clearly see a difference in light and it was significant / irritating.
Why I recommended replacing both, as @smarty indicated that it was a while the bulbs were changed.

My observations the normal Halogen bulbs lasts for ~ 3 years or 60 k km [assuming your drive at night is > 50%].

smarty

I can't see the wattage on the replaced bulb, suspecting the stock to be 65W or 55W. If there is no difference in wattage then the bulb is gone.

I 1st used Philips Extreme back in 2005 and had kind of so so experience, had to replace them every after 6-9 months, usually during rain/Fog.

There are 110/100W bulbs available in market and might be you need to install one relay (Plug and play) and you will be good to go.

All new model car comes with LED equipped because of low power consumption and better life.

You can order online from Aliexpress, will take some time but worth giving it a try.
=======
@geniousanupam

I did check the battery and alternator at the battery shop and there were no issues seen there.

About the wattage, I had already checked the wattage, it was 60/55W on the stock and that's why I ordered Philips XV+ seeing the same wattage on Amazon.

Anyway, I am back to stock ... Good old Halonix... Laut ke buddhu ghar ko aye [Hindi saying] :rolleyes:

geniousanupam

Super User
Ha ha ha.

Please try LED next time. Trust me you will be happy with the performance. I used these bulbs long 15 years back and had similar issues all the time.

Tried HID as well but those works well with projector only.

If you order please order good quality LED's as those will not make oncoming traffic blind.

I did check the battery and alternator at the battery shop and there were no issues seen there.

About the wattage, I had already checked the wattage, it was 60/55W on the stock and that's why I ordered Philips XV+ seeing the same wattage on Amazon.

Anyway, I am back to stock ... Good old Halonix... Laut ke buddhu ghar ko aye [Hindi saying] :rolleyes:

smarty

Ha ha ha.

Please try LED next time. Trust me you will be happy with the performance. I used these bulbs long 15 years back and had similar issues all the time.

Tried HID as well but those works well with projector only.

If you order please order good quality LED's as those will not make oncoming traffic blind.
Sure, will try next time.. Can you name any good brands for LEDs? (Which require minimum to nil electrical changes)

geniousanupam

Super User
LED's are plug and play as said earlier, no electrical changes are required, same as bulbs. Just install them.

Sorry, don't know which brands are available in India. Try Amazon and read reviews before ordering.

The last one I ordered from Ebay at $19 and they turned really well and I am impressed with the performance.

Sure, will try next time.. Can you name any good brands for LEDs? (Which require minimum to nil electrical changes)