How Hashtags are destroying Chitkul

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by Sayantan.geo, Nov 29, 2018.

1. pink vagabond

pink vagabond New Member

Rationing possible, but outright ban may hurt local population's income, so difficult for any political party to implement.

Also, sadly in India, human capital and ecology has no value. Such a big disaster in uttarakhand and we are back to the same old practices. If a few hundred people perish due to over commercialization, we will do some lip service and continue the old way.

I remember a meeting with a pharma supplier a few years back. On the outbreak of some virus, he told me that your government is inhumane. He told me, When a few people died in France, the government initiated some national emergency, halted all negotiations and procured the vaccine at whatever was the quoted price, whereas, the indian government stuck to its stance, wanted a lower price, higher kickbacks for the procurement of the medicine. We have such a huge supply of human capital, that a few deaths won't budge the government, unless its the uber rich, who are at risk.

2. cajithk

cajithk Member

Chitkul can take in a few more tourists and get thoroughly spoilt (like Manali) or it can take in few lakhs of tourists and still retain its pristine nature (like so many tourist spots around the world including, as mentioned, Switzerland). The question is how it is managed. It is upto the Government (national, state or the Gram Panchayat), who is the only body which can do this, to decide how to manage these palces. However, our Governments believes in killing the Goose that lays the golden egg, foolishly thinking that it is best to make money in the short term than think long term. So give permissions to construct hotels, ignoring the ecology and the carrying capacity of the land, and not regulate all sorts of activities, which will spell the death knell of such places.

Social media is here to stay, hashtags are here to stay, bad governance is here to stay. Enjoy the places while you can, and move on....enjoy it in your memories and your photos.

nadz11.ns likes this.
  3. citylife

citylife Active Member

In fact young generation has totally missed the hill stations of 60's and 70's.
    Those born after 1980's really have no idea what Kashmir really was!
    I'm afraid, soon this new generation will find it futile to spend so much money and lives to safeguard Kashmir which they have had never experienced.
    Manali in 1975 was like dream destination. The Beas Hotel and adjacent restaurant was pristine. Now Manali is worse than Paharganj.
    I've been to Chitkul in 2003, but the fear of ruining my sweet memories prevent me going there again.

4. karun0035

karun0035 Active Member

You've hit the nail on the head!
    This is the most saddening reality today. In the conquest of exploring new, "untouched", "hidden" places we completely ignored their importance and the local culture and population.
    Recent example - The sentinel tribe.

I fully supported and will support the decision of local population such as in case of Mana Village.

We must prohibit entering into each and every corner, where we are not supposed to be present.