How to Capture shadows?

sumitro_d

Super User
Let me explain the situation I want to photograph,yesterday night around 12.30PM under the moon light my gardens Papaya tree created a splendid shadow on ground which I want to click but don't know how to!!!Can any guru out here please help/guide me?

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
Sumitro what camera do you have? If a DSLR, I would suggest you to try some longer exposures(2-5 secs), widest aperture of your lens, moderate ISO...
Its difficult to comment without knowing the lighting conditions. maybe you can post whatever pictures you have clicked

iamsomnath

Where is the remote?
One student's note to another. Interesting. Spot meter on the lighted area, camera is meant to catch light not darkness. It will automatically come. High ISO to get high shutter speed or else the wind will move the leaves and ruin the shadow.Low ISO if the night is still. May be f5.6 on aperture priority for me, Tripod mounted with cable release and mirror lock up because shake is a no no.
Try & share some :p

cheers Somnath

sumitro_d

Super User
One student's note to another. Interesting. Spot meter on the lighted area, camera is meant to catch light not darkness. It will automatically come. High ISO to get high shutter speed or else the wind will move the leaves and ruin the shadow.Low ISO if the night is still. May be f5.6 on aperture priority for me, Tripod mounted with cable release and mirror lock up because shake is a no no.
Try & share some :p

cheers Somnath
1100D don't have a mirror lock up function :D

iamsomnath

Where is the remote?
1100D don't have a mirror lock up function :D
I was not suggesting in a model specific way. I'm not qualified too because I never throw opinion about anything which I haven't used myself for a considerable period of time, not like say borrowing for a friend for a day etc. :p If some function is absent then what can be done? Try to get around it somehow. Anyway I hope you have taken some photographs of Shadows. Eager to see and learn from your experience.
Cheers
Somnath

hensil

Guru
Let me explain the situation I want to photograph,yesterday night around 12.30PM under the moon light my gardens Papaya tree created a splendid shadow on ground which I want to click but don't know how to!!!Can any guru out here please help/guide me?
Hi,
Shadows are caused by light. Any light. You wanted to shoot some subject with shadow caused by moon light.
Moonlight is noting but reflection of sun light. The difference is that sun light is much stronger than moon light.
You did not mention the camera you are using. Just place the camera on a sturdy tripod and take long exposure shots, excessing 30 secs of shutter speed.
The picture you'll get will look like shot in sun light.
After shooting post your picture here.
Henry

sumitro_d

Super User
Hi,
Shadows are caused by light. Any light. You wanted to shoot some subject with shadow caused by moon light.
Moonlight is noting but reflection of sun light. The difference is that sun light is much stronger than moon light.
You did not mention the camera you are using. Just place the camera on a sturdy tripod and take long exposure shots, excessing 30 secs of shutter speed.
The picture you'll get will look like shot in sun light.
After shooting post your picture here.
Henry
Sorry to all for not to mentioning my gears,Camera 1100D Cannon,Kit lens-18-55 and 55-250,a Benro Tripod and a basic Cable release.This is my set up [MENTION=16765]hensil[/MENTION] sir with this things can I do the thing I want to do?and my confusion is whether to use 18-55 or 55-250?
and I want to retain the mystic feelings of the moon light and shadow.

Last edited:

hensil

Guru
Sorry to all for not to mentioning my gears,Camera 1100D Cannon,Kit lens-18-55 and 55-250,a Benro Tripod and a basic Cable release.This is my set up [MENTION=16765]hensil[/MENTION] sir with this things can I do the thing I want to do?and my confusion is whether to use 18-55 or 55-250?
and I want to retain the mystic feelings of the moon light and shadow.
Yes, you can use any lens and surely shoot with your camera. That's a fine camera and you have all the necessary stuff to shoot long exposure. However, I'd suggest use the 18-55 at 18mm.
You'll be surprised looking at your moon light picture. It will look like day light. Try it.
Henry

sumitro_d

Super User
[MENTION=2]Yogesh Sarkar[/MENTION] will sure try on next clear moon night,it will be a trial and error for me.