How to click good Portraits

iamsomnath

Where is the remote?
Debarshi, yes missed chin and more importantly the kid should not have looked out of the frame. If the head was on the right side of the frame and the empty space in front of & not behind the head, the image would have been better.

cheers
Somnath

debarshiroy

Super User
Debarshi, your subject is so beautiful that I'd refrain from commenting but you missed the chin for sure :)
Thank you Nishchaya :)Yeah she is a real sweetheart. Did not notice the chin part when I clicked but after going through discussions in "Portrait thread" realised what I missed..

Debarshi, yes missed chin and more importantly the kid should not have looked out of the frame. If the head was on the right side of the frame and the empty space in front of & not behind the head, the image would have been better.

cheers
Somnath
Thank you dada..got your point. Wanted to fill the frame with her face so tried like this..will keep your words in mind :)

Deb, The kid is so beautiful that I can photograph her/him all day long.... :)
Indeed Ankur...I too spent almost entire time with her...but she is so active before shutter button is pressed her head is in different direction..:grin:

AnupamR

Super User
As per advice from experts I clicked couple of images last night and uploading one of them, please feel free to comment...

DSC_0041.jpg

Camera- Nikon D3100
Lens- 50mm, (35mm equivalent:75mm)
Exposure-1/60s
Aperture-f/2.8
White Balance-Auto
ISO-1600
Cropped-Yes
Flash Fired-Yes

iamsomnath

Where is the remote?
As per advice from experts I clicked couple of images last night and uploading one of them, please feel free to comment...

View attachment 586466

Camera- Nikon D3100
Lens- 50mm, (35mm equivalent:75mm)
Exposure-1/60s
Aperture-f/2.8
White Balance-Auto
ISO-1600
Cropped-Yes
Flash Fired-Yes
First what I like :

Good expression caught
Quite clean in spite of being shot at high ISO
acceptable sharpness

What I don't like

Head hitting top frame ( I prefer either more margin or a lower crop)
Central framing of head
shooting from lower level hence bloated chin. Please shoot at eye level. From higher level you get bloated forehead.
harsh quality of light ( on board flash?)
Background is busy

BTW 50 mm in crop sensor does not mean 75 mm in FF term. It gives a "Field of view" similar to which a 75 mm lens would render on full frame. But the characteristics of 50 mm will remain same. It will not allow you to come as close to subject WITHOUT distorting facial features as a 75mm lens normally would on full frame .

AnupamR

Super User
Thank you Somnath da, I am uploading the actual image so can you please crop it and show us the appropriate way...

DSC_0041.jpg

First what I like :

Good expression caught
Quite clean in spite of being shot at high ISO
acceptable sharpness

What I don't like

Head hitting top frame ( I prefer either more margin or a lower crop)
Central framing of head
shooting from lower level hence bloated chin. Please shoot at eye level. From higher level you get bloated forehead.
harsh quality of light ( on board flash?)
Background is busy

BTW 50 mm in crop sensor does not mean 75 mm in FF term. It gives a "Field of view" similar to which a 75 mm lens would render on full frame. But the characteristics of 50 mm will remain same. It will not allow you to come as close to subject WITHOUT distorting facial features as a 75mm lens normally would on full frame .

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
On camera flash is pretty harsh for portraits most of the times, I have observed...
Recently i made a on camera flash diffuser (for my photography experiments, with kitchen blotting paper) and found it good.

Last edited:

AnupamR

Super User
Re: How to click good "Portraits"

Yes dada it was shot with on board flash and what does "background is busy" means?

- - - Updated - - -

:eek: Is this possible :confused:.... there are so many things to learn.... Thanks Ankur...

On camera flash is pretty harsh for portraits most of the times, I have observed...
Recently i made a on camera flash diffuser (for my photography experiments, with kitchen bloating paper) and found it good.