How to find insurance details?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
A friend of mine sold his motorcycle a few years ago. However, when he checked recently, motorcycle is still in his name i.e. the buyer never got the motorcycle transferred to his name.

Interestingly enough, MORTH is showing that the bike is currently insured, but not the details of insurance provider and he could not get that either while checking at Policy Bazaar.

Since he no longer remembers whom he sold the motorcycle to and whether it has been resold, is it possible to find details of the insurance provider somehow?

Because there is a chance the person who has the bike, filled in his own contact details while getting it insured.

adsatinder

explorer
Ask your agent if insurance is still with same company or not ?
If same then he can get details.
If not then he can try to get name of the next company.
Friend or agent can ask for the details of the policy for m new company as bike is still in friend's name.
Better go via an old agent as they have better connections.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Ask your agent if insurance is still with same company or not ?
If same then he can get details.
If not then he can try to get name of the next company.
Friend or agent can ask for the details of the policy for m new company as bike is still in friend's name.
Better go via an old agent as they have better connections.
I will ask him to do that. However, chances of that happening is slim, since he has been doing online insurance renewals for a while.

gkapoor

Super User
Have not tried this, try at own risk. :p

Go to nearby thana and befriend a constable or find out some jaan pehchaan. Tell him the story and give complaint of stolen motorcycle since vehicle is still in old name. They will find out current owner and straighten him.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Have not tried this, try at own risk. :p

Go to nearby thana and befriend a constable or find out some jaan pehchaan. Tell him the story and give complaint of stolen motorcycle since vehicle is still in old name. They will find out current owner and straighten him.
It would be illegal to do that, since the vehicle was sold and can come back to bite him in his ***. Having said that, this would likely be the last resort, especially in view of SC order that original owner is liable for any eventuality, if the buyer does not get the vehicle transferred.

Rohit Kothari

Super User
It would be illegal to do that, since the vehicle was sold and can come back to bite him in his ***. Having said that, this would likely be the last resort, especially in view of SC order that original owner is liable for any eventuality, if the buyer does not get the vehicle transferred.
If the transaction was in cash then it would be prudent to use this as your friend has totally forgotten to whom he sold the vehicle. I do not see any other way out. Your friend cannot even send a legal notice to that guy because I assume there was no documentation for sale of that vehicle else the user details would have been retrievable from there. Please ask you friend to take an action ASAP because if in case the bike is used for any unlawful activity, your friend will be liable and would have to run around in courts.

***If by any chance some part of payment was done digitally, you might still be able to track him down.

gkapoor

Super User
Yes its illegal since vehicle was sold, that is why I said to first tell the story and motive to "known" policewala.