How to get an NGO Blacklisted/banned? Any pointers? Was scammed by one a week back.

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
As expected, the blame has been shifted on the workers who worked in the NGO. Just got the news.

No mention of the fact that I did most of the tracking and handed the case to the police on a platter.

Anyways, I will prepare an application that I will send to the concerned authorities on Monday.

I will update here what happens next.

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
Very Good !
They must get a lesson of reality !
Don't let them operate online in any other form also.
Keep tracking them whatever possible online.

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
An Important Update on the case : RBI has compensated me with Rs 50,000 and has asked the bank to credit that amount in my credit card account. Well, I raised concerns on the security flaws that the bank's mobile's app had. It was the security flaw in the bank's credit card's app, that led me to believe that the call I received is from Bank Employees. Although RBI has not sent me any communication in this regard, I have got an intimation from the credit card issuing bank that because of the order of the Banking Ombudsman, they have compensated me with 50,000.

The bank has also made some changes in their mobile app. Most of the changes are related to the security flaws that I pointed out to RBI. RBI has taken note of it and because of the contributory fraud/deficiency of service (I am not sure which one it is yet), I have been compensated with the amount.

Well, I got the amount as a credit to my credit card account.

Took around 6 months. I am happy and thanks to RBI.

I am also contemplating to file a case in consumer court against the Bank. I still shudder to think about the hours in which I lost the money. I was able to recover it plus I got the amount compensated by RBI too. But I still think about feeling helpless when that incident happened.

Its a long process, this I am sure of. But then, if we won't try, we won't know.

Last edited:

citymonk

Super User
An Important Update on the case : RBI has compensated me with Rs 50,000 and has asked the bank to credit that amount in my credit card account. Well, I raised concerns on the security flaws that the bank's mobile's app had. It was the security flaw in the bank's credit card's app, that led me to believe that the call I received is from Bank Employees. Although RBI has not sent me any communication in this regard, I have got an intimation from the credit card issuing bank that because of the order of the Banking Ombudsman, they have compensated me with 50,000.

The bank has also made some changes in their mobile app. Most of the changes are related to the security flaws that I pointed out to RBI. RBI has taken note of it and because of the contributory fraud/deficiency of service (I am not sure which one it is yet), I have been compensated with the amount.

Well, I got the amount as a credit to my credit card account.

Took around 6 months. I am happy and thanks to RBI.

I am also contemplating to file a case in consumer court against the Bank. I still shudder to think about the hours in which I lost the money. I was able to recover it plus I got the amount compensated by RBI too. But I still think about feeling helpless when that incident happened.

Its a long process, this I am sure of. But then, if we won't try, we won't know.
Happy ending to a painful incident.

skysat2005

Super User
Very nice update and that's a handsome amount from RBI Ombudsman.

Could you highlight which security flaws were identified by you which RBI has taken cognisance of?
Atleast we can be careful as nowadays life is all about net banking and mobile banking.

One good action taken by RBI recently is default blocking of new debit cards for online transactions and now you have to activate the same if you want to use for online.

One key concern still pending is doing international transactions without OTP. This is major concern as if your card details are stolen then fraudsters can make transactions without our approval as it does not need OTP authentication. I've blocked my cards for international transactions. Have received couple of failed transaction messages from my bank when somebody tried using my card details for international transactions.

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
there were multitude of security flaws.

1. the app took the device identity as one of the permissions while installing it on the android phone. However, a person was still able to install the app, using my PAN, on another mobile. It should not be permitted without logging me out from the app , from a recognised device, where I am logged in yet.

2. Two persons were accessing the account details on the app, at the same time. Its a big security flaw. You cant open a bank's portal from two different IPs at the same time, from two different android phones.

3. No velocity check was implemented by the bank to check with the consumer if he has initiated a transaction above a certain threshold.

4. I was also logged in the web portal of the bank's website and the scammer was accessing the app. Again, should not be possible. One cannot initiate another user session unless the first one has been ended (logged out).

5. The acknowldgement email that I got from the bank was not from a secured server and not from the domain of the bank too.

there were some more points, I do not remember them right now. But these ones, I do remember like it's yesterday.

What I learned in this whole scenario was : the importance of Murphy's law. I am a vigilant person. Still, I got conned. I recovered the money but

it still gives me goosebumps, thinking, what if I hadnt been able to do that.

International transactions, I have also disabled now. I use Paypal for doing international transactions. I do use services which require payment in

dollars, on a monthly and yearly basis. I would like to mention one more thing, everyone told me that the money is gone. I mean, its like, you get

conned, you cant do anything but keep thinking, why it happened with me.

So here it , Murphy's Law. This is the only rationalization that I have been able to come up with.

it
dddd.png

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally believe that everyone was complicit in this scam. For a registered NGO of years worth of standing this seems to be the only rational conclusion. The NGO should be named (if there are no defamation litigation fears). And if there is such fear, at least inform, by personal message, those of us who have been following this thread.

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
I am not sure of the Litigation stuff and I want to pursue this in court.

However, I dont want to give these people any excuse to get me in a corner. They have recently taken down their website too.

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
Just lodge a complaint in Cyber Crime Portal.
Let me tell you what happens when you lodge a complaint on cyber crime portal. It asks the nearest police station to your home and the case gets forwarded there. It took around 4-5 days for the police station to call me and enquire what happened.

I got my mone before that.

In cyberspace, the complaints should also move at cyber pace, not at snail's pace.

Not sure if someone else had this problem but I did.