How to get laptop internet access with cell/usb stick in India?

hstraf

Hello,

I will be in India for about 3 weeks, and I would like to travel with my laptop so that I can browse the internet while travelling.

In most countries, it is possible to purchase a pre-paid "USB Stick" which can plug into the computer and use the cellular phone network to connect to the internet. For example, in New Zealand I purchased this USB stick after arriving at the airport, and in 5 minutes I had 2gb data transfer allowance.

I visited the vodaphone.in website, but I don't see anything similar... is this possible in India?

If it is not possible.. what do you recommend? I do not have a cell phone (and I don't really need one).

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

beingbaggu

You can use browse the Internet either using
1. Gprs enabled on ur mobile phone SIM or
2. USB devices as u mentioned

Which one you choose depends upon your requirements..
1. If you need to just browse and check your mails, the SIm option would more than suffice. Besides, it would come out much cheaper - around 2 USD for a months use wid 2 gb of data usage. Besides, I presume you would be getting an Indian SIM anyways for your calls. So, a hassle free aswell to activate this service. Just make sure your phone supports Gprs and make sure you install the required software suite on your laptop before heading to India ( for Nokia phones the software is Nokia Pc suite and OVI Suite) .

And if you are not an Indian national make sure you have the reqd docs for getting d sim. For good gprs connectivity, I would recommend Airtel out of my personal experience.

2. Recommended if you would require to downloads upload heavily. The devices would cost you somewhere around 2500 rupees. Plans wud b at least 700 rupees.availibality n speeds would vary depending on the places you visit.

TorqueAddict

The Traveller
I would like to use my phone (Motorola) with GPRS to surf internet on my laptop. Which software do I need to install on the laptop once I get GPRS activated on the SIM? Also, how will the laptop connect to phone in order to surf the internet; using bluetooth?

Does it sound old-school to not know how to use GPRS? :D

Last edited:

beingbaggu

Bhai you recommending him the horrible surfing speeds which this option provides?
Sirrjee.. he wud b here just for 3 weeks time... I am assuming lot of hassles for a foreign natonal in obtaining a Highspeed data card and activation. In addition he would be always on move , and the 3X speed card switches to 1X speed in regions not covered yet.

I have used GPRS for browsing on my conputer back home in Assam and GPRS was sufficient for browsing n checking mails. yes no dowloading .

akshay4384

THE LONE RIDER
Sirrjee.. he wud b here just for 3 weeks time... I am assuming lot of hassles for a foreign natonal in obtaining a Highspeed data card and activation. In addition he would be always on move , and the 3X speed card switches to 1X speed in regions not covered yet.

I have used GPRS for browsing on my conputer back home in Assam and GPRS was sufficient for browsing n checking mails. yes no dowloading .
Baggu sahab,he doesnot have a cellphone:)

treklover

Hello,

I will be in India for about 3 weeks, and I would like to travel with my laptop so that I can browse the internet while travelling.

In most countries, it is possible to purchase a pre-paid "USB Stick" which can plug into the computer and use the cellular phone network to connect to the internet. For example, in New Zealand I purchased this USB stick after arriving at the airport, and in 5 minutes I had 2gb data transfer allowance.

I visited the vodaphone.in website, but I don't see anything similar... is this possible in India?

If it is not possible.. what do you recommend? I do not have a cell phone (and I don't really need one).

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
vodafone does have a USB stick.

Accessing GPRS from sim is cheaper and speed is good enough for emails.

Go for Airtel, visit Airtel.in and check for prepaid connection.

Last edited: