How to get laptop internet access with cell/usb stick in India?

hacket

Old school
Vodafone provides USB stick.I just bought one. Unfortunately, they are yet to get 3g speeds on these sticks, they have promised, 3G speeds next month, till then you will get GPRS speed i.e 144 kbps.Good enough for basic surfing.

Cost= Rs.1600
activation charge: Rs.49
Prepaid package: 299 with 5gb limit.
activation takes 24-48 hrs (for me it took a week, after several fights at the vodafone store and hate mails to their customer service)

The above package is sold in Karnataka, not sure if its the same all over the country.

P.S: For people coming to India, will have to go through additional verification/paperwork. IF you have anyone already staying here, get it under their name.

beingbaggu

Baggu sahab,he doesnot have a cellphone:)
Then he should get one :)

vodafone does have a USB stick.
According to me it's just a GPRS device, the speed is just 1x, the same which you would get if you tether your GPRS enabled phone to your computer.

V.
activation takes 24-48 hrs (for me it took a week, after several fights at the vodafone store and hate mails to their customer service)
This is the exactly why I was recommending a prepaid SIM with GPRS enabled.

There may be hassles involved.

I would like to use my phone (Motorola) with GPRS to surf internet on my laptop. Which software do I need to install on the laptop once I get GPRS activated on the SIM?
Never used a Motorola phone, but there would be some software for sure.

The general way to find is this .

Go the Motorola Site -> Enter your cell phone's model no - > Download section --> You might find the particular software or software suite.

Also, how will the laptop connect to phone in order to surf the internet; using bluetooth?
For Nokia, it is either through the bundled datacable or over bluetooth.

P.S. : I just ran a speed test of the GPRS on my laptop and this is what I got. I would say not bad for a piddly GPRS service. It might come handy when nothing is nearby.

Note: The file being downloaded in the screen-shot below is a legally shared software - Eclipse IDE.
airtel.jpg

Last edited:

hstraf

Is there a pre-pay USB data stick in India for internet access?

Hello,

I will be in India for about 3 weeks, and I would like to travel with my laptop so that I can browse the internet while travelling.

In most countries, it is possible to purchase a pre-paid "USB Stick" which can plug into the computer and use the cellular phone network to connect to the internet. For example, in New Zealand I purchased this USB stick after arriving at the airport, and in 5 minutes I had 2gb data transfer allowance.

I visited the vodaphone.in website, but I don't see anything similar... is this possible in India?

If it is not possible.. what do you recommend?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Mod note: Duplicate thread merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viny

Then he should get one :)

According to me it's just a GPRS device, the speed is just 1x, the same which you would get if you tether your GPRS enabled phone to your computer.

This is the exactly why I was recommending a prepaid SIM with GPRS enabled.

There may be hassles involved.

Never used a Motorola phone, but there would be some software for sure.

The general way to find is this .

Go the Motorola Site -> Enter your cell phone's model no - > Download section --> You might find the particular software or software suite.

For Nokia, it is either through the bundled datacable or over bluetooth.

P.S. : I just ran a speed test of the GPRS on my laptop and this is what I got. I would say not bad for a piddly GPRS service. It might come handy when nothing is nearby.

Note: The file being downloaded in the screen-shot below is a legally shared software - Eclipse IDE.
View attachment 132004
:shock::shock::shock:
Downloading 206MB package on GPRS...never ever imagined, reminds me the dial up days :p

Well with BSNL having 3G in major circles, if one has to go via mobile than probably BSNL 3G will be of great help

I have heard good reviews on tata photon+ too.

hstraf

Yes, this is exactly what I am looking for.

I tried to find information on their websites, but I could not find it.. Can you tell me if it is difficult to purchase this USB device?

Do I just walk into one of their stores, give them my passport and required documentation, and then walk out with a working USB stick?

Or are there any issues that I should know about? For example, perhaps it takes three weeks to activate (I will be out of the country by then), etc...

I might be able to get someone local in the city I will be visiting to purchase it for me.. do you think that is a good idea? Or do you think it is better to wait until I arrive and then do it myself?

Thanks!

(BTW - I am not concerned about speed. I just need to be able to use my laptop to connect to the internet to send/receive mail, occasional surfing, etc. I am not going to be using bittorrent or anything that needs high speed.)

Thanks again.