How to Shoot with Point & Shoot Cameras?

medpal

Those are what we call as "Radium" reflectors fooling your sensor :p

BTW other points to remember are :
Distance of subject from camera (The on camera flashes very very under powered)
The angle from where you shoot, you can try a slightly angled shooting rather than bang head on shooting.
If you camera allows put flash on low power / slow sync (there are a lot of P&S cameras supporting these modes, you have to find your manual though)

adsatinder

explorer
Good Suggestions Dr Bhavin Patel ji !

I had a problem earlier :
Name: Satinder
Current Camera: L-24, Nikon Point & Shoot
Purchase: March 2011, Launch week.
Previous Camera: Canon A280 (P&S)
Current Lenses: Nikkor Automatic built in lens. 3x
Next Buy: Video Camera, HD, Good Optical Zoom.

Nikon L24, Point & shoot Camera. Happy with picture quality.
(Though I have canon also Point & shoot Camera but not satisfied after I checked Nikon.)

I prefer & stick to Nikon for Still Photography.
But often I miss the opportunity mostly as it takes at least 15-20 seconds to start shooting mode.
This is the 1st problem I am facing.

I have changed setting to Scene Mode.
Nikon L 24 takes less time to start.

Second, Flash time takes more seconds to charge.
This is a problem still for me as this is a problem when You have to take a good pic of moment at a function / celebration.

Will Class 10 card of 32 GB will make my camera fast??
I have now 10 Class Card, and it is fast.

Want to have video camera of HD, with good Optical zoom and picture quality.
I want to install it on my bike also.
Is it possible to shoot 1 frame every second and make a video of that to show what is the way from Delhi to LEH or anywhere else?
Anyone can put some light on it?

There are many threads for this DIY thing.

Reference from here:
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/equipment-talk-f72/nikonians-bcmt-t40535-4/#post546813

Last edited:

medpal

I prefer & stick to Nikon for Still Photography.
But often I miss the opportunity mostly as it takes at least 15-20 seconds to start shooting mode.
This is the 1st problem I am facing.

The startup time of camera depends upon model / software / batteries (No and Type and rating). it varies from camera to camera.

I have changed setting to Scene Mode.
Nikon L 24 takes less time to start.

Second, Flash time takes more seconds to charge.
This is a problem still for me as this is a problem when You have to take a good pic of moment at a function / celebration.

Flash recharge cycle is always slow on point and shoot cameras due to limitations of batteries. you have to live with it. I earlier had canon powershot A95 and it had 4 batteries and its flash recycle time was really good.

Will Class 10 card of 32 GB will make my camera fast??
I have now 10 Class Card, and it is fast.

I dont know but if your camera does not record in Full HD you need a fast card. Point and shoot cameras are limited by their buffer size imho class 6 card should suffice. Only if you camera have burst mode and you need to use it frequently you need a higher rating card.

Want to have video camera of HD, with good Optical zoom and picture quality.
I want to install it on my bike also.
Is it possible to shoot 1 frame every second and make a video of that to show what is the way from Delhi to LEH or anywhere else?
Anyone can put some light on it?

There are many threads for this DIY thing.

Reference from here:
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/equipment-talk-f72/nikonians-bcmt-t40535-4/#post546813
My suggestions / views in blue.

nekhrun

I have a question regarding how to calculate shutter speed in Shutter mode while clicking hand held in a proper light.

While using a DSLR, I usually choose 1/focal length of shutter speed. Example, if I am at 40mm, I usually choose 1/40 or faster speed. How to apply the same logic in P&S? My P&S is 8 years old and shows the zoom multiplier (5x, for example). So, what shutter speed to choose if I am at 5x zoom? The focal range of my cam is 6mm to 72mm.

Roadie..

Super User
Apply the same rule as dslr

But does the p&s let u chose shutter speeds?
Does it have manual controls?

Last edited:

piyush0401

I have a question regarding how to calculate shutter speed in Shutter mode while clicking hand held in a proper light.

While using a DSLR, I usually choose 1/focal length of shutter speed. Example, if I am at 40mm, I usually choose 1/40 or faster speed. How to apply the same logic in P&S? My P&S is 8 years old and shows the zoom multiplier (5x, for example). So, what shutter speed to choose if I am at 5x zoom? The focal range of my cam is 6mm to 72mm.
Your P&S is having 72mm/6mm = 12X zoom, so at 1X, focal length is (6*1) 6mm; at 2X it is (6*2) 12mm and so on. You can choose shutter speed accordingly. :)

Roadie..

Super User
It is 6*2.3= 13.8 mm equivalent at wide, and 72*2.3= 165.6 mm at tele
Taking the crop factor for the 1/2.3 sensor generally used in p&s.

Still it seems too wide.

nekhrun

It is 6*2.3= 13.8 mm equivalent at wide, and 72*2.3= 165.6 mm at tele
Taking the crop factor for the 1/2.3 sensor generally used in p&s.

Still it seems too wide.
I was wondering whether the sensor size should play a role or not while calculating the shutter speed. My cam has manual controls too.
To confirm, at 5x, my min shutter speed should be 6*2.3*5 = 1/69 and at 12x it would be 1/165. Right?

Roadie..

Super User
Yes correct but the focal length at wide seems unreal .

Compare one same shot from the p&s at widest
And then from dslr at 18 mm
Most p&s start from 27mm equivalent at wide

And as per above 13.8 mm is too wide.
Plz check and tell