How to take good panning/action shots/shots of objects moving fast ?

hensil

Guru
Nice panning.
In panning shot you need to get the main subject sharp. The trick is to use a fast enough shutter speed while panning so that the main subject is sharp but the bg blurred. The shutter speed depends on the motion of the camera. Trial and error is the name.
Henry
PS: how is your D750 turning out? There is a noise on the web regarding some issue with flaring. Check your camera for that. You'll get free service.
Nikon acknowledges 'issue' with flare in some D750 bodies: Digital Photography Review

Vik M

Here's the one i had previously posted in my critique thread..

3rd Attempt, TV mode 1/15 shutter speed.. Light adjustments made in PS CS3.

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
Nice panning.
In panning shot you need to get the main subject sharp. The trick is to use a fast enough shutter speed while panning so that the main subject is sharp but the bg blurred. The shutter speed depends on the motion of the camera. Trial and error is the name.
Henry
PS: how is your D750 turning out? There is a noise on the web regarding some issue with flaring. Check your camera for that. You'll get free service.
Nikon acknowledges 'issue' with flare in some D750 bodies: Digital Photography Review
Hi Hensil,
Thanks for your comments. They are always educative. and we all have a lot to learn from you.
This one came out better but car wasn't too attractive so I didn't share this one ;)

Yes, Its more of hit and trial.

D750 has been performing brilliantly till now. I am also following the flare issue on web and developments in this regard. have not seen flare issue in my pics till now. I am planning to recreate the scenario and check the problem soon. I am struggling with another problem right now. Looks like i managed to insert some dust on the sensor. changed the lens few times in outdoor. I am planning to take it to the Nikon service centre and get sensor cleaned.

If you have not seen my firework timelapse video I created with D750 , please see here... (excuse the dust specks in couple of frames.)
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/travelogues-around-world-f68/singapore-diaries-t56413-14/#post1077791

BCMT-DSC_1280-2.jpg

hensil

Guru
I watched your Singapore TL. It's simply beautiful.
You can fix the dust spot in the pictures in LR. Clean the dust in one picture and apply the setting to all as the dust is stationery.
Henry

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
I watched your Singapore TL. It's simply beautiful.
You can fix the dust spot in the pictures in LR. Clean the dust in one picture and apply the setting to all as the dust is stationery.
Henry
I am glad you liked my pictures Henry.

I created the video itself else I would have fixed it in LR :(
[D750 has inbuilt timelapse creation feature. We can select fps (60/50/30 fps) and size (1080p/720p)]
Well i shot that (spots one) part from my office window. I will shoot it again soon... after i get sensor cleaned.

hensil

Guru
How did you tilt and pan if you did not do the digital zoom? As you used the built in timelapse function.
Henry

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
I did panning in Window movie maker later while editing the videos. I gradually unfocussed in last frame (with moving cars) to achieve moving bokeh effect.