How to travel within India in times like these (Covid 19 pandemic outbreak)?

gauravtalan

All non essential travel should be avoided at all costs. However, what precautions are you taking if you must travel?

adsatinder

explorer
Q&A How to protect yourself when travelling during the coronavirus (COVID-2019) outbreak.
•Feb 12, 2020

World Health Organization (WHO)
248K subscribers

SUBSCRIBE
World Health Organization (WHO)
248K subscribers
WHO advice for international traffic in relation to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV with Dr Carmen Dolea, Head, IHR Secretariat at the World Health Organization

So far, the main clinical signs and symptoms reported in this outbreak include fever, difficulty in breathing, and chest radiographs showing bilateral lung infiltrates. As of 27 January 2020, human-to-human transmission has been confirmed largely in Wuhan city, but also some other places in China and internationally. Not enough is known about the epidemiology of 2019-nCoV to draw definitive conclusions about the full clinical features of disease, the intensity of the human-to-human transmission, and the original source of the outbreak.

International travellers: practice usual precautions

Coronaviruses are a large family of respiratory viruses that can cause diseases ranging from the common cold to the Middle-East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). In case of symptoms suggestive of acute respiratory illness before, during or after travel, the travellers are encouraged to seek medical attention and share travel history with their health care provider.

Public health authorities should provide to travellers information to reduce the general risk of acute respiratory infections, via health practitioners, travel health clinics, travel agencies, conveyance operators and at Points of Entry. Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) advice for the public published on the WHO website contains WHO standard recommendations for the general public to reduce exposure to and transmission of a range of illnesses, to protect yourself and others from getting sick, to stay healthy while travelling.

WHO technical guidance on surveillance and case definitions, laboratory guidance, clinical management for suspected novel coronavirus, home care for patients with suspected novel coronavirus, infection prevention and control, risk communications, disease commodity package, and reducing transmission from animals to humans is available on the WHO website.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/disea...

https://www.who.int/ith/2019-nCoV_adv...

Category
Nonprofits & Activism

cat

Senior Billi
Meths / methylated spirits, + glycerine to counter the skin drying effect of alcohol.

Mix about 60% alcohol to water+glycerine.

Meths stinks but...you know. I got some couple days ago, because there is no alcohol-based hand sanitizer available. Dettol and Savlon is selling out quickly, because people do not understand such disinfectant is for bacteria not viruses...influenced by so much talk of washing hands and hygiene and so on.
PS: I just opened my bottle of methylated spirits, and it doesn't stink like it used to, it has changed, it smells ok, not even a strong smell.
So it is good for wiping things you bring home from the shops.

My local pharmacy sold out of isopropyl alcohol...it's on order but who knows...

Use liquor when hand sanitizer is not available. Alcohol is a must to kill virus immediately. Hand sanitizer is alcohol+glycerine. When using soap, you must wash your hands for a minimum of 20 seconds or longer.

cat

Senior Billi
When using soap, you must wash your hands for a minimum of 20 seconds or longer.
I always wash everything possible when i come home from the supermarket, and i take a bunch of the wetwipes they have at the entrance and use them to wipe things that i can't wash with water (I mean the wetwipes at the entrance of the supermarket is not something new, the main thing is to wipe the trolley handle when i go in. And my credit card when i go out - although that is usually not necessary now with Tap-and-Pay, although sometimes it somehow doesn't work, that screen display doesn't come up.)
But now I'm concerned about wiping the stuff i bought, with only soapy wetwipes.

Gloves were mentioned... I was wondering about that, like what for, how can it help...and this morning I read something - something official, not some post - saying that it might even contribute to more spreading.

Big Daddy

Super User
It is difficult to assess the effectiveness of gloves and masks as the virus tends to live on surfaces. You might get false sense of security. However, I am not even sure how much washing hands can save you when you bring home products from grocery stores as virus might be on boxes that you might touch later. All you are doing with washing hands is minimizing risk. There is nothing 100%. The only hope is that by widespread risk mitigation, society can blunt the growth of this illness. It is not necessary that those who acquire it were careless.

cat

Senior Billi
1584644206772.png

They were previously using an app on a device, you signed with finger or stylus.

Courier. (Note the last point re surface.)

1584644447579.png

adsatinder

explorer
USA

Coronavirus Anxiety: How To Prepare, Not Panic
Practical steps to get ready, without hitting the panic button.

Article by:

Coronavirus is all anyone can think about, and for good reason. It’s been declared a pandemic, multiple U.S. cities are enforcing shut-ins and curfews, and the disease is forcing lives to a stand-still.
So, what does this mean, for us?
Harvard epidemiology professor Marc Lipsitch told The Atlantic last week. “I think the likely outcome is that it will ultimately not be containable.” Yikes. But he also said this: even though he predicts some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, “it’s likely that many will have mild disease, or may be asymptomatic.”
The California Department of Public Health agrees. In a statement yesterday it said, “While COVID-19 has a high transmission rate, it has a low mortality rate. The international data we have, of those who have tested positive for COVID-19, approximately 80% do not exhibit symptoms that would require hospitalization.”
In other words, there’s no need to panic. It helps to look at coronavirus in the context of other illnesses to get some perspective. The coronavirus currently has a death rate of 2% worldwide, far below the 9% to 12% death rate of the 2002 SARS; though higher than the common flu in the U.S.
It’s still unclear exactly how contagious the virus is, but the CDC estimates symptoms occur 2-14 days after exposure. It’s mainly spread through the respiratory system (think: breathing or coughing on someone). Signs of the virus are fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Like with many other illnesses, older adults and those with weakened immune systems are most at risk.
Psychological Implications Of Coronavirus
If you chat with five different friends, you’ll see a range of responses—some are already ordering face masks and stocking up on water, others thinking maybe they won’t got to Italy this summer, and still others haven’t heard anything about the virus.
Despite the information we do hear, part of the trouble is humans are not great at assessing risk. According to Paul Slovic, Ph.D., who researches risk and decision making at the University of Oregon, how risk is conveyed determines how it’s interpreted. And, people use their emotions, not logical analysis to evaluate risks.
“Catastrophizing is an example of an unhealthy thinking pattern which may make contamination seem more likely than it actually is,” says Dr. Julie Kolzet, Ph.D., a licensed psychologist in New York City.
To feel less anxious, Dr. Kolzet suggests getting news from reliable sources and thinking about the facts. “Ask yourself, what’s the evidence for this and the evidence against it.” Another tactic is to ask yourself what the cost is of believing the worst-case scenario.
How To Minimize Coronavirus Risk (According To The CDC)
  1. Wash your hands. Using soap and water, lather up for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that has at least 60% alcohol. This is especially important after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
  2. Cover your cough or sneeze. Use a tissue that you can throw away. And, avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth since the virus is transmitted through the respiratory system.
  3. Stay home if you’re sick. Chances are you don’t have the virus, but officials advise staying home if you don’t feel well. And, if you suspect you may have coronavirus, call your healthcare provider.
  4. Keep surfaces clean. Use a disinfecting cleaning spray or wipes on high-touch surfaces like light switches, doorknobs, your phone, and remote controls.
  5. Stay away from sick people. One thing we know about the virus is that it is very contagious.
  6. Don’t buy a facemask…yet: If you’re not sick, not a healthcare worker, and not caring for someone who has the virus, there is no need to wear a facemask. Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease.
What To Do About Travel Plans And Work
The CDC also recommends that “businesses explore strategies that would decrease the amount of exposure that people have with one another, for example, telecommuting and staggered shifts. Those who travel frequently for business should also consider cancelling any nonessential travel in the case of a sustained outbreak in the U.S.”

https://www.psycom.net/coronavirus-anxiety-how-to-prepare-not-panic/

adsatinder

explorer
Excellent Coronavirus Tip

We all have been advised not to touch face, mouth, nose, eyes, ears etc!

If you are a natural right hander, try to use your left hand only for touching various surfaces like door handles, elevator buttons, railings, counters etc. It is very unlikely that a natural right hander will use his / her left hand to touch the face!

Reverse the process if you are natural left hander!

Last edited: