HP LaserJet M1005 Multifunction Printer

rahi

I have shortlisted HP LaserJet M1005 Multifunction Printer for my basic needs of printing, copying and occasionally scanning at home...

The reasons i am considering this model is :

i) I always used HP printers at my workplace and they work great.

ii) This model uses 12A cartridge which gives 2000 prints in one refilling and hence fewer refillings and longer cartridge life.

iii) color printing is not my priority...

iv) Laserjet are durable .. (correct me if i am wrong)

v) Multifunction satisfy the criteria for occupying less space and help in not cluttering my home with standalone printer, scanner.

vi) I am going to use it for atleast 5 years.

vii) This product is very good and in very much demand in market (the guy who does the refilling in my office told me)

Though this model is expensive at Rs.12,200/-, i am seriously considering buying this model..

Anybody who used this product or is aware of its technical merits or demerits is requested to write in reviews/thoughts. Suggestions are also welcome...

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
If you're not going to use it extensively for scanning, then I'd suggest to buy a LaserJet Printer only. It'd be pretty cheaper, and will consume less of your precious desk space. A separate A4 size color scanner can be purchased additionally for rare usage, and be connected thru USB as & when required.

We have 2 printers at our home... both HP.
I'm using an HP LaserJet P1007.... a simple black laserjet printer. Costed around 5K 2 years back, and is still working fine.
My dad is using an HP MFD (with ethernet connectivity, Fax & document feeder tray)... forgot its model number... costed us close to 7K last year. It takes in black & colour liquid ink cartridges, and (everyday kinda) copying on it is a costly affair!

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Go for the MFD, managing multiple devices is almost always a pain.

Not sure about the cost of printing or your print volume, but do have a look at inkjet MFDs from hp and epson. Their price as well as that of their inks is pretty cheap.

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
^
YS, I agree for the first statement.

But the recurring cost of buying new cartridges is still quite a deterrent for many users. Although HP/etc. suggest to use new cartridge everytime, users tend to get them refilled for about 2-3 times. This itself is a big pain with inkjet printers. And such printers with big cartridge tanks, are very expensive.

If scanning is not what he'll do everyday, I'd suggest to buy a separate scanner & use it when reqd.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Look at it this way, one can buy a decent inkjet MFD for 3-4k, use the remaining 8k to buy cartridges (which I doubt any normal home user would be able to use in 4-5 years) or buy a Laserjet which costs more, but prints cheaply.

Problem with buying a separate scanner is not only will he need extra space to store, but also extra wires running around.

rahi

If you're not going to use it extensively for scanning, then I'd suggest to buy a LaserJet Printer only. It'd be pretty cheaper, and will consume less of your precious desk space. A separate A4 size color scanner can be purchased additionally for rare usage, and be connected thru USB as & when required.
Scanning would be occasional but buying standalone scanner in addition to printer will add clutter. Moreover, price of decent scanner & laser printer comes out to be around 10K

My dad is using an HP MFD (with ethernet connectivity, Fax & document feeder tray)... forgot its model number... costed us close to 7K last year. It takes in black & colour liquid ink cartridges
Would you please check on the model number...

Go for the MFD, managing multiple devices is almost always a pain.
Thats correct and this is what i am going to avoid..

but do have a look at inkjet MFDs from hp and epson. Their price as well as that of their inks is pretty cheap.

HP MFD (inkjet) is the second option for me. The guy told me that with HP scanjet, the head is inbuilt within cartridge and every time with the change of cartridges (one black and one color for around :r:1200/- for 200 prints in winters and around 100 prints in summers), head gets replaced automatically and hence no problem of damaged or clogged head.

^
If scanning is not what he'll do everyday, I'd suggest to buy a separate scanner & use it when reqd.
One very crude solution provided to me is click the pic of the document/pic, adjust sharpness, contrast, brighness and print. This ofcoures is very inconvenient and impractical...

Look at it this way, one can buy a decent inkjet MFD for 3-4k, use the remaining 8k to buy cartridges (which I doubt any normal home user would be able to use in 4-5 years) or buy a Laserjet which costs more, but prints cheaply.
YS.. Thats the dilemma..

mgdelhi

You can't go wrong with HP LaserJet MFP. I have been using HP laserjets and seen other brands being used in my/friend's offices. HP is the most reliable.

Currently I am using a HP LaserJet M1136 which I bought in October'2010 for Rs.9,600/-.

I am not sure if this model is coming now or has been discontinued. But I am quite sure M1005 will be very reliable. :)

That's a very useful thought. +1

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
@Rahi:
A decent scanner won't cost you more than 2-3K, and a laser printer should cost about 5K. HP MFD (without Fax & ethernet connectivity) can be had for close to 6-7K.

I'd now suggest you to pick an MFD, but donot copy all your documents everytime, coz it'd be pretty costly to get a copy on inkjet MFDs!
Use copying function only when absolutely necessary, and not more than few pages. Anything extra, and get it done from outside! :)

I'll check the Model Number of my Dad's HP-MFD, and wiull update here.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Herez the details of MFD in our home:

HP Officejet 4500 All-in-One Printer - G510h

HP Officejet 4500 All-in-One Printer - G510h (CB868A) specifications - HP Products for Home and Home Office products

P.S.:
There was one WiFi model also available, which I was planning to pick, but then it was overshooting our budget by some 2K... so picked this one.

Last edited:

rahi

@Rahi:
A decent scanner won't cost you more than 2-3K, and a laser printer should cost about 5K. HP MFD (without Fax & ethernet connectivity) can be had for close to 6-7K.

I'd now suggest you to pick an MFD, but donot copy all your documents everytime, coz it'd be pretty costly to get a copy on inkjet MFDs!
Use copying function only when absolutely necessary, and not more than few pages. Anything extra, and get it done from outside! :)

I'll check the Model Number of my Dad's HP-MFD, and wiull update here.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Herez the details of MFD in our home:

HP Officejet 4500 All-in-One Printer - G510h

HP Officejet 4500 All-in-One Printer - G510h (CB868A) specifications - HP Products for Home and Home Office products

P.S.:
There was one WiFi model also available, which I was planning to pick, but then it was overshooting our budget by some 2K... so picked this one.
Thanks Sachin..

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Rahi the way I see it, unless you are printing hundreds of pages each month, spending on a laser printer is useless, unless it happens to be specialized enough to be able to perform certain task, which the inkjets can’t!

With respect to expense of ink, if you are mostly printing black, then colored inks (which are usually lot more expensive) won’t be getting used and you can simply replace the black one, when it runs out.

Have a look at Epson range of inkjet MFDs as well; compare the cost of ink cartridges with the number of copies they can print (flipkart sells inks as well as printers) and I guess you will get fair bit of idea about the sort of expense you are likely to incur.