ICE Upgrade – Polo GT TSI aka. Pocket Rocket

KillerKP

ICE – In-Car-Entertainment for ease of understanding.
I did not find any relative information here so let me take this opportunity to pioneer the topic.
This is my wife’s car. And we are audiophiles (a hi-fi enthusiast), unapologetically. We listen to all genres of music namely Rock, Pop, Hip-hop, Classical, Jazz and most importantly, Bollywood. We are not into ear-deafening boombastic music generally, well not at all times though.
We got the car installed with an 8.1inch Android HU with Sat Nav, USB etc., mated with some really bad set of speakers. Search for new speakers went on for 3 full days; online, offline and everyline (that’s not even a word, really).
The expectations were simple:
  • Sound Clarity – Clean, not too bright
  • Nice punchy bass effect – Sub not sought
  • Cleanest possible install – no modifications to OEM setup
Budget for the setup in my mind:
  • Two sets of Speakers (Both front and rear) : 15K
  • One 4-channel Amplifier : 5K
  • Wiring – most importantly! (power wire, ground, Fuses, MDF rings, fuse holders, connectors, terminals etc.,) : 5K
  • Sound Damping! : (Endless!)
  • Grand Total: 30K tops!
After a hectic research, finally visited Gurgaon Sector 14 main market, Batra Autozone. Have had a few good experiences at this place with my erstwhile vehicles and hence visited there to surf around closely. Lucky enough, the owner of the place, Mr. Gagan Batra was there to clarify all my doubts, apprehensions and assist me make a decision. A knowledgeable and personable person he is, we quickly agreed upon a few things to get started with. While my wife accompanied me for the upgrade process (it’s her car), when he asked a question ‘What kind of a sound quality do you expect?’ her only response was “The Best”.
As afraid I was with the response (monetarily), I had to be brave enough and plunge into it now. Following were the suggested Speaker options:
  • Infinity Kappa REF6520CX (300W, 100Wrms)
  • Polk Audio DB6501 (360W, 120Wrms)
  • JBL GTO 609C (270W, 90Wrms)
  • JBL GTO 620 (225W, 75Wrms)
Following are the suggested 4 channel Amplifier options:
  • Sony XM-N1004 (1000W high power output)
  • Pioneer GM-A6704 (1000W output)
Here’s what we zeroed upon (of the best available lot) post discussion, substantiated by online reviews:
  • JBL Stadium GTO620 (75Wrms, 225W Peak) – 6.5” two-way multi-element speakers
  • Components in the front and Co-axials in the rear
  • JBL GX-A604H (1200W peak power)
  • Volt – 8-guage Power Kit cables and Fuses (950W)
  • StP – Silver foil Damping sheets
Enough of English. Time for some pictures.
The Speakers: Some high-quality sound!

They sure sound Sweet!

The Doors open wide enough – Notice the full covered door panels Vs. non-german rivals!

Unlike the shallow door panels of Japanese counterparts, the metal sheet and build quality is top-notch!

The Amplifier: This was a last minute upgrade from the pre-decided Sony 4channel amp.

Again, a special mention of the overall build quality of JBL!

The Wiring and Fuse

The damping material used. Not the best in class, but temporarily solves the purpose until I fetch Dynamat from the U.S.

The Speakers installed and damped!

The HU and front dash looks like this:

Completely happy with the installation and work carried out by Autozone!
Got a pair of sunvisors installed too:

A parting snapshot...

Apologies for any typo, all pics clicked, uploaded and content typed using my trustworthy Samsung S7Edge. Open for views and feedback for corrections or improvisation! Cheers!

Attachments

Last edited:

cat

Senior Billi
Very nice. Good stuff. I'm sure your wife is happy...probably thrilled with it.

Typos? I didn't notice any mistakes at all, but I noticed 'damping,' you get a gold star for that. ;) It's almost a daily thing, on Fb groups and even sometimes on my local av forum.

KillerKP

Very nice. Good stuff. I'm sure your wife is happy...probably thrilled with it.

Typos? I didn't notice any mistakes at all, but I noticed 'damping,' you get a gold star for that. ;) It's almost a daily thing, on Fb groups and even sometimes on my local av forum.
Thanks Senior Bill! Well, she accompanied me to the mod center and man is she happy! She loved the makeover and more! :)