In a search of absolution - Solo Ride to Heaven

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by KurtRules, Jul 28, 2008.

1. SSSK

SSSK Member

Hey the attachments are not working, notified YS.

2. KurtRules

KurtRules Come as you are!

Post edited, photos visible now:D

It was round 7 30 when i crossed that place, they all seemed like locals, and i cud not spot no tourists, roads were deserted.....They were shouting out slogans i believe..... God knows, y were they tryn to stop me, i didnt have the nerves to stop and ask them...

Just before Ganderbal(5-6 km, not sure), there is another road leading to srinagar which bypasses ganderbal and takes you rite beyond, to the Gulmarg/Baramullah highway....Its a newly laid tarmac, says "srinagar-40". I didnt take this route, perhaps if i did, it wud have been safer than the current one.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  3. KurtRules

Well, this isnt all, another spine-chiller is yet to come, enroute chandigarh ;)

4. praveenkm

praveenkm Active Member

Too god narration and awesome pictures :)

@salil: The guys from bangalore did marsimek la couple of days back right. Y no permit and is it permanent?

5. KurtRules

@praveen : I tried my best to get permits to marsimik...i was given a straightforward no...mentioned that in the log....maybe coz i was single, donno...

6. hiambuj

hiambuj Moderator Staff Member

In fact problem is not in main Shrinagar, its more on out skirts...
    Anyways, waiting for description of next "Spine Chilling" experience.. :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  7. praveenkm

praveenkm Active Member

Yeah vaibhav, but still wondering y so?
    well i guess permit is not the full ticket. The phobran post guys also decide whether to send you or not, depending on the conditions or their wishes:confused:

an example
    http://himalayan-solo.blogspot.com/search?q=marsimik

8. KurtRules

Day8 : Srinagar – Chandigarh (625km, 14 hrs)

Got up really early, around 5 in the morning. Rushed to the reception and paid the rent. Tied up my luggage. I wanted to leave this place as soon as possible.

175.jpg

176.jpg

It had begun drizzling just as I hit the Jammu highway. The traffic had increased, so the pace was slow and steady. I was looking forward to the experience at Jawahar tunnel. Had heard that it is India’s longest road tunnel.

Reached the Jawahar tunnel at 7:30 just to find out it is closed and will open for the public at 8 am.

The closure:

177.jpg

The last view of the Kashmir Valley:

178.jpg

Somewhere on the way:

179.jpg

“This is going to be a normal straight forward ride without any excitement”, I murmured to myself. Goodness me, how wrong I was again!!

I traversed through the NH1-A from ...banihal....ramban .... spotting army personals wherever I went. Was ascending the heights of Patnitop when i came across a traffic jam. Steered my way through the stuck up vehicles right up ahead just to be stopped by an army man, mid 20's, a captain perhaps.

The Jam:

180.jpg

“What’s the matter Sir, why all this commotion?”, I questioned.

“You see that car there”, he replied, pointing out to a grey colored esteem surrounded by awkwardly dressed people.

“Ya, so”, I said…..”

It’s got a bomb in it”, he replied again

“What!!!!!!!!”………

Finally, some action, I thought! .. weirdly dressed guys were the bomb disposal squad trying to spot the bomb. There was information that the car hid a bomb somewhere, and those guys were bravely going through every inch of the vehicle trying to locate it

We all held on to our nerves, thinking of the outcome. Now this was heights of adventure.

Just imagine, standing around 100mts away, i was like "Fata, ke ab fata!!!"...

"will they cut off the road?"..."will i be stuck in kashmir for a long time?"...."will peices of glass fly off the windows and strike me?"... everything goin on in my mind.....

There’s the car, in the middle:

181.jpg

182.jpg

After about an hour or so, traffic was let off and upon enquiry it was confirmed that it was hoax. Phew!... Wrong information, or perhaps a disguise to cover up for a major incident planned someplace else. Who knows!

After that thriller of a ride down to Udhampur from Srinagar, I took the Pathankot bypass and then it was an uneventful, really long, ride back to Chandigarh.

183.jpg

My legs were aching, my spine had actually voted to discontinue services if anymore torture was inflicted on it.

My face was a mess, had everything on it, insects and all! The eye sore was as persistent as ever. (Eventually found out that
    I was infected with photo conjunctivitis!!!).

But in all I was one satisfied man. These past 8 days, I shaped outcomes, faced situations and done it...... the way I wanted to, all alone.
    I had virtually gone through eveything....beauty, adventure, thrill, fear, horror, pain......I was happy, in fact very happy that i had beaten all odds, silenced critics but the major thing is, my confidence level was really given a hefty boost....

It was going to be one happy night with celebrations continuing for many days to come!!

Total Expenditure: Rs 8500 (Including alcohol :D)

7 nights, 8 days

Mileage: Well, ~2400 km and Rs3300 worth of petrol...calculation is kinda hard for me:D

Hardest Pass: Well, has to be Rohtang for me!

AMS: None (Suprisingly!!)
    The Experience: Again, dont have words......

“For once listen to what your heart has to say, and you’ll be reprieved”

Thanks
    Vaibhav Sabharwal

9. hiambuj

hiambuj Moderator Staff Member

Oh Vaibhav... what an experience.. I guess Ladakh is testing visitors hard this time... or may only those who are daring to return via "heaven on earth"...
    Also you did it pretty fast... :)

10. anupmathur

anupmathur Super Moderator Staff Member

Extraordinary!
    Innocence lost - boy becomes man!
    And describes it vividly, illustrates it splendidly! [​IMG]

Truly a cat!
    But do you realize you're on life 2 already?!! They'd almost certainly have lynched you! :grin: