Increase Bajaj Pulsar’s headlight intensity by 170%!

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Most likely the headlight reflector is burnt out and no longer as reflective as it earlier was. Changing the headlight assembly with a genuine Bajaj one along with change to a new 35w headlamp should restore the brightness of your headlight to what it was earlier. If this isn't the case, then you need to get the wiring checked, because it might be, that it has weakened and not enough current is able to pass through to the headlight. If you want brighter than earlier headlight, switching to HID is the best bet, since it is highly unlikely, you will find old Avenger's coil.

Bahul

I have an upcoming bike ride to Ladhak in 2 weeks. Due to issues at Srinagar-Leh Highway, I would be riding in the night. I find visibility at night a little low in my Pulsar 200NS and want to upgrade it, also as the bike has no kick start, I need to make sure not to drain out the battery. While researching online I found someone who installed Philips Essential-Vision with Thimson Headlamp Wiring Kit (links shared bellow). These are made for cars and not bikes but in many people have jugaded them for bike use. Should I go for these or just change my bulb to normal OSRAM or Philips ones. The third option is to add extra accessories light commonly found in Karol Bagh. Please suggest.

Links >

http://www.amazon.in/Philips-12569EVB1-Essential-Vision-Headlight/dp/B00V3QVSNS?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&portal-device-attributes=desktop&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cqHjzb4XXP4M0

http://www.amazon.in/Thimson-H4-Headlamp-Wiring-Kit/dp/B013E3V94A?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&portal-device-attributes=desktop&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_roHjzbX6PXG7S

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
You have a 55/60W DC setup, something most of us drooled about, when we began touring! Get a Osram Night Breaker or Phillips Crystal Vision, and it ought to be more than enough. In any case, you shouldn't be riding at night on a Ladakh tour, you will miss out on all the scenery.

NDM

I have pulsar 150es ug1 2004 i want to change with avenger's coil as my light is bit low in rainy days, lack of visibility. Bike is fully in stock condition.
I want experts advise.
As i have new set of wiring and dome set i am worried it will be burnt or melted due to high power and heat as i travel long distances above 150-250 kms continuously in night.
So i dont want to stuck up in any hunted placess at night.
pls advise should i change rr with avenger coil or just coil is enough.
I planning to go with 55/60w bulb.

If not the above pls advise me why 35/35w bulb output has gone low as it has new coil, wiring and rr as well. Which had got good out put when it was new. Now after replacing all the units to newer still its not generating full power.

Pls advise and reply for my above queries. Thank you!

Toshar

*This is a Reference information about the stator coil of Bajaj Avenger 180 which can be fixed on UG2 and UG3 Generation Engine Bikes.

- This thread is almost dead because lots of people have already done Coil up-gradation long ago for their bikes. With more then 130 pages, finding information on this thread is a difficult and time consuming task as everything is now scattered on different pages. Moreover, nowdays almost all motorcycle comes with complete DC setup so they don't require Coil rewinding unless they want to put beefy HIDs or willing to put their hands on Morimoto projectors.

- This post is for those people who still want to update their electrical system to full DC on their UG2 and UG3 Gen bikes. Well, coil rewinding, sourcing Ape RR and understanding wiring patterns in not that difficult for the person with enthusiasm but it is still better to have something as Backup.
It is highly recommend by senior moderators to not to alter stock alternator, instead go with a new Stator and then rewind it so that there will always a stock backup lying around you which know is working in case of winding failure.

- Re-winded coils can easily produce upto 4 times the power of stock stator is winded well but their is always a risk factor present inside it. Because of ultimate heat, vibrations and other factors, Stock insulation can go crack which results in touching of copper wire to the iron stator causing short circuit which is almost impossible to find with 420+ turns of tightly packed wire.
So, whoever now willing to rewind their stator to extract more power, should buy a new stator, unwind in carefully and then go with rewinding process.
Reason? Till now, your stock stator plastic insulation have already gone hard and brittle along with time because of heat around it. Unwinding it now may cause that insulation break easily and exposing bare metal which might become a reason of short circuit inside a coil and eventually loss of electrical power.

***Soultion***

- Go and buy a 540 rupees stator coil from Bajaj SVC, Part no. DV111005. It ACTUALLY comes with bigger bobbins, have large brims almost equal to size of that of ignition coil and somewhat harder insulation. Unwinding the stock wire with care wont cause any damage to it because insulation will still be new and intact. Rewinding this coil will let you achieve atleast 25 more turns per pole that is 25x7= whopping 175 turns. I myself winded this coil with 17.5 awg thick wire and achieved 82~ turns per pole ie ~ 570 turns in total. Getting 10+ amps of current on just 4k RPM and happily running 55W Hella G3 bixenon projector on my discover 135 like a boss. Done +10K kilometers with it and still running strong.

- Thus, go with a new stator coil for rewinding and keep old one as backup. You can also use your vehicle during the rewinding process whereas rewinding the stock coil will ground your bike for a day or two until rewinding and drying of varnish.

- This is a picture of stator coil (of UG2,3 Engines) with its dimension ( iron core X-ray Image done myself, pardon for image quality). Any Bajaj user willing to rewind their coil, should measure their stock coil dimensions first. If stock coil dimensions are same as of shown in this picture, then go and directly buy Part no. DV111005 as it is a direct physical fit inside your case too.

- For Users with Newer Generation Bajaj Engines that are already producing DC, who are willing to update their coil, should also check their coil dimension and Go with compatible one. AFAIK Discover ST, P135LS, D150 shares stator coil with new Avenger 150 or 180 or Pulsar AS150 which all comes with 55/60w Headlight setup. Swapping their coils along with their RR will be a direct fir.
Note- Be-aware of BCU of you bike. Old schools users like me are not familiar with BCU or CANBUS setups.

manish170726

How often has it happened that you were riding at night and couldn’t see what was in front of you? Chances are, this has happened to you on more than one occasion, while one can attempt to increase headlight’s illumination by fitting an HID or by rewinding the coil plate. Most often than not, these solutions are rather expensive and in case of coil rewinding, unreliable.

But there is light at the end of tunnel and that too a bright one and it doesn’t costs an arm and a leg and is as reliable as the OEM setup.

The Solution

The solution lies in the parts bin of Bajaj; while the Pulsar family (barring 220) supports 35/35 headlight, Bajaj Avengers even though having the similar engine setup have 55/60W headlight setup. This means, Bajaj Avenger’s headlight is 170% more powerful than the stock Pulsar’s!

What is it about the Avenger that enables it to have a powerful headlight even though it employs the same engine?

The difference is in coil plates of the two bikes, while Avenger 180’s coil plate (part no. DV111005) is of similar size as the one in rest of the Pulsars, its coil is thicker and heavier than Pulsar’s which enables it to produce more current to support the 60W headlight setup.

The good news is, Pulsar 150, 180 and 200 owners can install Avenger 180’s coil plate (also referred to as stator plate) and increase their headlights power by 170%!

Installation

Installation is pretty straight forward and easy, though it is recommended that you get the installation done by a professional mechanic, you can do it yourself. All one needs to do is open the casing of the stator plate, located on the life hand side, right next to the front sprocket cover.

After opening the casing, detach the two connecting wires and use the screwdriver to unfasten the stock stator plate and fix Avenger’s stator plate.

After which you need to attach both connecting wires and casing back in the place and replace the stock halogen with the new 55/60w halogen and enjoy better lighting :).

Ps. Avenger 200’s stator plate is different from Avenger 180’s and Pulsars, so make sure you get the Avenger 180’s stator plate.

Special thanks to Arpan, Hitanshu, Salil, Venkat and Hydroxide and every one who participated in The Headlight thread.
How often has it happened that you were riding at night and couldn’t see what was in front of you? Chances are, this has happened to you on more than one occasion, while one can attempt to increase headlight’s illumination by fitting an HID or by rewinding the coil plate. Most often than not, these solutions are rather expensive and in case of coil rewinding, unreliable.

But there is light at the end of tunnel and that too a bright one and it doesn’t costs an arm and a leg and is as reliable as the OEM setup.

The Solution

The solution lies in the parts bin of Bajaj; while the Pulsar family (barring 220) supports 35/35 headlight, Bajaj Avengers even though having the similar engine setup have 55/60W headlight setup. This means, Bajaj Avenger’s headlight is 170% more powerful than the stock Pulsar’s!

What is it about the Avenger that enables it to have a powerful headlight even though it employs the same engine?

The difference is in coil plates of the two bikes, while Avenger 180’s coil plate (part no. DV111005) is of similar size as the one in rest of the Pulsars, its coil is thicker and heavier than Pulsar’s which enables it to produce more current to support the 60W headlight setup.

The good news is, Pulsar 150, 180 and 200 owners can install Avenger 180’s coil plate (also referred to as stator plate) and increase their headlights power by 170%!

Installation

Installation is pretty straight forward and easy, though it is recommended that you get the installation done by a professional mechanic, you can do it yourself. All one needs to do is open the casing of the stator plate, located on the life hand side, right next to the front sprocket cover.

After opening the casing, detach the two connecting wires and use the screwdriver to unfasten the stock stator plate and fix Avenger’s stator plate.

After which you need to attach both connecting wires and casing back in the place and replace the stock halogen with the new 55/60w halogen and enjoy better lighting :).

Ps. Avenger 200’s stator plate is different from Avenger 180’s and Pulsars, so make sure you get the Avenger 180’s stator plate.

Special thanks to Arpan, Hitanshu, Salil, Venkat and Hydroxide and every one who participated in The Headlight thread.
Yogesh ji please ye bataiye kya pulsar 150 main Avenger 180 ki stator plate lagane k liye stator ke sath bike ki poori wiring ya magnet ya koi or part bhi change karna hoga ya fir sirf stator change karne se baat ban jayegi.