Indian two-wheeler licence in Nepal

rxrohan

Hello,
I am a foreigner, but hold a valid Indian drivers licence (as I have Indian residency).
Will this be sufficient for riding in Nepal, or will I need an Indian issued International Driving Permit?

Thanks,
Rohan

abhi1975

The Great Gambler
India can't issue International Driving Permits, permits are issued by the respective countries. Do you have an International Driving License?? If yes then that along with your passport should suffice regarding driving in Nepal. If not then you better get in touch with Nepal Govt who will be able to clarify best.

Admin01

Administrator
I agree with Abhi, Indian transport department wouldn’t be able to issue you an International Driving Permit. However best option would be to contact the Nepalese Consulate in Delhi phone no: (011) - 23327361, 23329218, 23328066, 23327594, 23329969 or email them at [email protected] to find out their views regarding this, though they might differ from official to official.

setuniket

With Indian Driving licence the rules are different (for foreigners holding DL too) , contacting Nepal Embassy will be the best option.

btw if transport department can issue Driving Licence for Driving in India(he has indian residency) then you can be issued International Driving Permit.Atleast the link says so.Talk to the Transport office where your licence was issued.

Transport Department

and lastly with Indian Driving Licence Indians are allowed to drive in Nepal without any IDP, you might be covered under that rule.

Edit: Are You under the dual-Citizenship scheme?, do share some more details about the system.:)

Last edited:

rxrohan

Wow, thank you all for the detailed and speedy responses!

abhi1975 said:
India can't issue International Driving Permits, permits are issued by the respective countries.
But there's a catch - my driving licence is Indian, so I should be able to get an International Driving Permit from India, shouldn't I?

Yogesh Sarkar said:
However best option would be to contact the Nepalese Consulate in Delhi to find out their views regarding this, though they might differ from official to official.
Yes, this is probably the right course of action. Just thought I'd find out your views first, especially given the 'official to official variation' that I've found common here. Thanks for the contact details :)

Talk to the Transport office where your licence was issued.
Ah, good idea. Will do that too.

and lastly with Indian Driving Licence Indians are allowed to drive in Nepal without any IDP, you might be covered under that rule.
I had hoped this was the case. I can't see any reason why this should not apply to me, as my licence is exactly the same, but I'll need to check it out. If anyone has any more info on this rule I'd be grateful to have it :)

Edit: Are You under the dual-Citizenship scheme?, do share some more details about the system.:)
Nope, not dual citizenship. I came here on a student exchange program, so I'm on a student visa. This gets me a residency permit, which allows me (after a bit of talking and a trip to the top man at the RTO :grin:) to get an Indian DL.

This would have been so much easier if I got an IDP from home, but I didn't have time to get my full licence, and a learner's permit isn't enough for IDP.

Thanks again
Rohan

hitanshu

Master of the OT Universe
Call up the guys on the border office only. They will be the ones who will interpret rules and make your life pleasure/pain. Your answer can be dicey, so best to call the border guys - the embassy will supply their numbers only.

darkside_of_d_sun

Staff member
If you would be using an Indian Driving License then please do not show your Australian passport to the Nepalese authorities. Currently, an Indian driving license is enough for you to enter Nepal and drive around but if you contradict your nationality with different documents issued by different countries, you may be get into some serious trouble.

P.S. Nepal is now a Communist country, I hope you are smart enough to get the drift.

Cheers,
Shamik

abhi1975

The Great Gambler
Two things are getting mixed up. Driving License and driving permit are not the same. Heck, is there really anything called Driving Permit??

Driving license gives you the authority to drive a kind of vehicle clearly mentioned in the license. It is issued for driving that particular kind of vehicle, i.e. with a driving license authorizing you to ride "MotorCycles with gear" does not authorize you to drive "Light Motor Vehicles".

Permit is issued by local governing body authorizing you to reach and roam around in certain places mentioned in the permit by whatever modes of transport, be it walking, biking, riding or driving.

So, you see, Indian Government can issue you a Driving License to drive in India but can't issue a permit to roam around in Nepal. That permit/visa you will have to take from Nepal Government/Competent Authority.

AFAIK upon entering Nepal you will be issued a temporary registration number for your vehicle (maybe a temp DL too, not sure). And as Shamik has pointed out, if you show an Australian Passport along with an Indian DL it will only complicate the matter. Best is to contact the Nepal Consulate and sort out all things with them, if possible in writing.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

hitanshu

Master of the OT Universe
And FWIW, about two weeks back I was told that either passport or Voter I card are required for entering nepal (or even bhutan). DL does not suffice. So you need to show either full australian or full Indian.

but if i understood right, you are an indian citizen, based overseas, say on a four year visa or such. That in no way hinders you into Nepal - if that is the csae, please chill :)

setuniket

If you are here on student visa then apply for Nepalese Visa as well as IDP or IDL as required because in that case you will not get the benefit that Indian Citizens have(to enter nepal with any one of the documentary proof.)

Tau, I think its the opposite, He is an Australian Citizen on a Student Visa in India.

I think Nepal still has VOA system, talk to the embassy about that and as shamik da said that if they allow you to enter with just DL as id proof, go ahead and use the oppourtunity.:D

Last edited: