Interior Chhattisgarh/ Sourthern Orissa- Tribes, Falls & Forests

adc

Bonda market at Onkadelli .... contd

With a last glimpse of the beautiful girl, we move on to other Bondas coming down the hill path
IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

A group of 5 Bondas come together and the guide talks to them in a kind of mixed language and they line up for the foreigners and soon we are clicking them too

IMG_4334.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_4335.JPG

With introduction done between ourselves and the guests from Switzerland, we inquire and exchange notes about our travels till now on this trip and the tribals they visited before coming out here.

Soon a Bonda lady comes over with some most beautiful beads, with wife just a nano-second late with the most unique bead out among those - the Swiss lady had it bagged soon, with the guide doing the negotiation.

IMG_4345.JPG

IMG_4357.JPG

IMG_4353.JPG

IMG_4352.jpg

Though for these Bondas, Rs 10 or 500 is the same, the guide as he says negotiates like a middle way in between, so that its not cheap as though it seems like exploitation or he allows them to charge exorbitantly to make the tourists feel conned and cheated. Of course he along with the foreigners showed us around and share information - a fantastic guide we had in this gentleman.

Now we turn to the particular market, its just settling. Another full bus of foreigners come up and the curious mix of local people, some definitely outsiders[?], the Bondas themselves, we and the foreigners make its beautifully lively

IMG_0650.jpg

contd...

adc

adc, WOW!!
Your travelogues are gripping and educational!
Your spirit unmatched! :D
And that ID pic of your sipping tea - reminds me of the sudden stops we had, having tea in those empty country roads, moist earth smell and just almost no one around! A sudden tea shop at an empty stretch of trail was absolutely impossible to pass over without stopping.

When they say Austro, I suppose that's based on genetic studies. I wonder how they come to be there, and why only about 5,000 people.
For present state and their way of living, this article is also of interest:
www.outlookindia.com | Being Remo

The Bondas: The Bondas known themselves as Remo(men) are a small tribe of the type now often called Austro-Asiatic country is the wild and mountainnous region north-west of Machakunda river, and here they have preserved themselves comparatively unaffected by the march of civilisation. Bondas Indeed, by plainsmen and officials, the Bondas are regarded as entirely savage, almost as the classic savage type. The strange dress and appearance of their unfamilier tounge they speak a different Astro-Asiatic language. The inaccessibility of their abode seperate them from other tribes of the district The origin and affiliations of the Bondas are obscure, but one may accept the possiblility that they are members of a group of Austro-Asiatic tribes which at some remote date took shelter in the wild Jeypore hills. There is every reason to suppose that the Bondas have changed very little during their long history and in them one can have a change of studying a type of character and it's material expression that may be millennia old. The bondas have been enlisted as a Scheduled Tribes. Bondas Bondas are the oldest tribal people of Malkangiri District.They live on the mountains at the height of 3000 feet. In 1971 census their number was 5,245 and in 1981 census they were 5,895 in numbers but in 1991 census they were decreased to a number of 5,129 in which male number was 2,414 and female number was 2,715. These people live in Bonda Hill under Khairput Block.They are mainly two types like Ontal and Kilo. Bondas are found of Podu Cultivation and Bonda ladies help them in this job. In Bonda community the bride is older than the groom Ladies of the Bonda community are half nacked. In the month of Magha "Patkhanda Yatra" at Mudulipada is the main festivals of Bondas.

By nature Bondas are short temper and they get angry at the simplest thing and forget the relationship and commit murder. Murder is a simple thing for Bondas, because of this a lot of person has been life impressioned at the Koraput Jail due to this Bonda population has been reduced a lot during the last decade. Here it is important that this community should be taken care from it's extinct.

Source: Tribes of M A L K A N G I R I

this is just WoW!
ADC, amazing. Nothing else to say. I love the way you love your Safari VTT. ;)
Classic pics bro. Unseen before. Great to know the lesser known beauties of India...
What a place, what a weather & what awesome coverage with pics !!!
Thanks guys, definitely the memories come back as I post again.

Hey,
ADC nice clicks,
Bastar region is Chhattisgarh's most Naxal affected area. Have u had any problem during journey?

These are Naxal infested areas. For the Koraput area travel, the place where we went to see the Bonda tribes, - all police stations were blasted away as recently as 4 months before our travel. Just a few days back, around mid Jan 2010,Maoists had blasted the local panchayat office there at Macchkund and also there was problem on the Koraput-Rayagada route - the one we took to return.

Also there can be a problem beyond the Danteshwari temple road to Bailadila as said. Just a week before around 200 Maoists burned a dozen dumpers in that NMDC mine complex.

But then if we get these into head, it would be impossible to travel to these wonderful places. As I had reasoned before, if the foreigners could travel out there, we could do too.

And nowhere we were in trouble, though we could make out quite a few "outsiders" among the local population - I chatted up with them [since they can speak Hindi too] about unknown places nearby and they were most helpful.

That being said, Raipur-Jagdalpur and Vizag-Jagdalpur roads are very safe.

Last edited:

adc

ADC, great insight !! Lovely !!
That pic looks right out of lonely planet magazine!
What a introduction.. What a travelogue... This is absolutly wonderful:)

The snaps of the blasted out Police Stations does look scary :shock:

Thanks again, the first time we saw those blasted stations it was scary but then it became normal like for us seeing local people just moving around with their usual businesses and work.

Will update on the tour again after the weekend, will be out of Calcutta.

popsha

Incredible Bulk
Also there can be a problem beyond the Danteshwari temple road to Bailadila as said. Just a week before around 200 Maoists burned a dozen dumpers in that NMDC mine complex.

But then if we get these into head, it would be impossible to travel to these wonderful places. As I had reasoned before, if the foreigners could travel out there, we could do too.

And nowhere we were in trouble, though we could make out quite a few "outsiders" among the local population - I chatted up with them [since they can speak Hindi too] about unknown places nearby and they were most helpful.

That being said, Raipur-Jagdalpur and Vizag-Jagdalpur roads are very safe.
Baladila and around are the worst affected parts of Chhateesgarh... although Jagdalpur is safe and its also safe to visit places around Jagdalpur.

If someone is heading to Baladila, I know a few people there who might help if need be.

Rockin Roxxi

Tickle My Amygdala
Unbelievable log this is. I read about the Bondas but we have a first travel account of them right here on BCMT. Kudos to you for bringing them here to us in this delightful way. :)